We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 198086 times)

kelaidis

• http://prairiebreak.blogspot.com/
    • Denver Botanic Gardens blog
Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #480 on: December 27, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
Part of my outdoor Menagerie of fat plants in pots (here mostly cacti). The blooming Cylindropuntia is C. viridiflora (strangely named since the flowers are orange)...
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #481 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
Pics are missing, Panayoti...

kelaidis

« Reply #482 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Cohan! I shall post some extras as a bonus!

1) Cylindropuntia viridiflorus, growing in a pot with other hardy cacti near my driveway
2) Pediocactus simpsonii clump at over 8000' on the Flattop mountains last July (in seed: got lots and listed it in NARGS seed exchange!)
3) Barnett Garden in Pueblo: extraordinary garden full of Western American dryland plants. Notice Castilleja here..
4) Another shot of the same. Shouldn't everyone have a cow's skull in their garden?
5) Coryphantha vivipara growing at the very eastern edge of its range in east central Kansas last summer. Quite wet here (25-30" of precip. a year)
6) Echinocereus engelmannii in Pueblo
7) Opuntia fragilis in bloom. I believe this is a Colorado selection
8) The succulent garden at Dick and Ann Bartlett's in Lakewood, Colorado. Dick is past president of NARGS
9) Cacti at the Pueblo Nature Center planted and maintained by Bill Adams, Treasurer of NARGS
10) Large prickly pear (probably Opuntia engelmannii) in the garden of Jeff Thompson, in Pueblo.
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:02 AM »
Great stuff, Panayoti! I really do envy the cacti you can grow in Colorado! That's okay, though, I will find the things that do grow well here...lol Pedios are at the very top of my hardy cactus list... if only they weren't so sloooow from seed!

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »
I echo Cohan: Great stuff! Very different from my garden ;)

But you can get a skull!

PS. It is elk/moose (Alces alces).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:56:51 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #485 on: January 03, 2012, 02:15:05 AM »
Ha! yes, some skulls/bones around here too, but no longhorns-- those are extremely rare here, everyone raised hornless breeds and/or treats young ones to stop the horns..

hochu

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001541643198&sk=photos
« Reply #486 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
I am also a fan of cactus in the garden. I want to build a complete collection of Hardy-cacti. Thank Panayoti Kelaidis for the seeds of some species.
 In Russia, a very severe winter. So my cacti  - super hardy  :)

Opuntia
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:03:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Alex Bredikhin. Russia. Voronezh. Zone 4.

Sarmienta

« Reply #487 on: February 17, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Hochu ....I also have(had :-\) a lot of cacti en Yucca,s.But there,s just Little left now from all you see on the picture.
Some winters were to wet,and some surrounding trees of neighbours did grow ,so there was less sun and too much shade .Now only a few yucca,s and cacti left :'(.................... but soon there,s more space for shade loving plants like Gesneriads, ferns ,Cypripedium etc. ;D

hochu

« Reply #488 on: February 17, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »
Sarmienta! Do you have an amazing garden! Unfortunately, in my climate yucca can not form a trunk. Frost reaches - 35 degrees Celsius. I have a lot of sun in the summer, and cacti and succulents grow well. But I have planted many trees in a part of my garden.   I also grow Gesneriads, ferns, Cypripediums. By the way, last year I ordered seeds from Chile Sarmienta repens  ;) and Asteranthera ovata. But none of the seed is not risen.

ronm

« Reply #489 on: February 17, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
You have grown them beautifully Hochu. A treat to see these wondeful flowers.

hochu

« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Thank you! Here are a few more

Echinocereus reichenbachii..jpg
Echinocereus viridiflorus SB 170.jpg
Maihuenia poeppigi.jpg
Austrocactus dusenii.jpg
Escobria vivipara v.rioripuerka HK 2015.jpg
PEDIOCACTUS knowltonii.jpg
Opuntia phaeacantha var. camanchica.jpg

edit by maggi to show plant names in text
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:02:20 PM by Maggi Young »

kelaidis

« Reply #491 on: February 23, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
Alex: what a treat to see how well you grow cacti: your Opuntia (an aurea var?) is unbelievable. And your P. knowltonii beat mine to pieces! Bravo...more snow today...ugggh.

hochu

« Reply #492 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
Thank you, Panayoti! Soon the snow will melt - already spring :)) Yes, the "Pony" - a hybrid O.aurea. I want to say that out of your seed (Echinocereus dasyacanthus) was 1 seedling without chlorophyll. I have grafted him. I hope he will survive.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #493 on: February 26, 2012, 07:14:40 AM »
Nice plants, Alex! Your winter is almost as cold as mine, not quite! Do you have a hot summer? Mine is not, so this is another issue for hardy cacti...

hochu

« Reply #494 on: February 26, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Cohan, thank you. Every winter I have occasional frosts of 30 degrees Celsius. Sometimes at night the temperature reaches minus 36-38 degrees. The absolute minimum is - 42 degrees.   All of my opuntia grow without protection. This year, for example, there is almost no snow, so conditions were harsher usual. And all the others cacti  I have covering from moisture with a piece of polycarbonate. In the summer we have a very dry and hot (35-40 degrees).

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal