We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2010  (Read 76121 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Reticulate Iris 2010
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
Has everyone seen the fantastic picture of I. zagrica on the AGS site? (You have to scroll past a lot of galanthus!)

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/miscellaneous/RHS+London+Early+Spring+Show+/349/
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »
I hadn't seen those pix on the AGS site, Gail, thanks.

The last flower of I. zagrica in close up looks to have virus in it....eek! And the plant was awarded a Botanical commendation! :o
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:55:06 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

winwen

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
Virused or not, I find that the coloring of Hans plant is superior to the ones shown onthe AGS-site.
Nevertheless: all are really gorgeous plants indeed!
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Hristo

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
+20c yesterday encouraged 'Katherine Hodgkin' and histrioides to flower, temperatures now down to +2c with snow, oh the humanity!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
Iris ret. Kuh-e-Abr opened in the sun today.

2 flowers  :D from 3 bulbs - nr 3 way behind and looking terribly virused...  >:(

Luc, unfortunately the others look very suspect too :(
It's so frustrating to buy bulbs that turn out to be heavily diseased.

I have recovered from shock now  Ashley.. :'( I decided to let the leaves develop a bit more and post another pic here for further examination..  :-\
I'll also drop a line to the supplier, see what he says.
In the mean time my moral has boosted seeing your wonderful Iris, Ashley and Chris : beautiful stuff !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
Thanks Luc, I do hope you get satisfaction from your supplier!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
the last one could be "Harmony". 

I think you're right Armin.  Thanks.

Could be JOYCE, too - the difference is very small.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments!

Hans , thank you for showing the handsome I. zagrica .This is the first time I have seen it , it looks as though it may ripen its seeds on a stem like I. pamphylica - must be closely related . Hope my seed from J.J. A. will germinate .
Otto, in last years topic there were shown some very beautiful pictures of this species - if I remember well also of the seedpods. I am sure some more pictures will follow here a bit later (here nearly everything is earlier than in the more northern parts of europe)

@winwen - it is about 10 cm high and belongs to the smaller flowering ones of the reticulata group - but I agree with you, it is a gem. Think it will not be self fertil but in any way I tried to self it.

@gail - thanks for the link, the pictures are really fantastic - but I fear maggi's suspicion is correct.

Chris + ashley thanks for showing those beauties!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Hristo

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
Thanks for looking Hans!

Some old timers and newbies flowering. The danfordiae is the standard triploid in cultivation. This is in it's second consecutive flowering year. 'Lovely Liza' is new to me this year,  Iris 'Harmony' bulks up very quickly in the open garen here. Lastly 'Velvet Smile' is in a covered bulb bed, she has bulked up to  point where she can move out into the open garden the end of this season.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:58:38 PM by Hristo »

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »
Looking good Chris !
They seem to like the Balkan conditions !
I planted 3 bulbs of Lovely Liza in 2008 - got only 1 flower last year and am very curious what it will give this year ? (not showing yet)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
Hi Luc,
I can't think of a single reticulata that hasn't performed better here than in th UK.No great surprise given the change in latitude I guess. I had some Iris vartanii pips from Alex, I put 4 in the open garden, and 4 each in two bulb frames. The garden pips came up last, missed a cold snap, they are now the better looking plants! A good summer bake is all but guaranteed here whch seems to enhance flowering.
We have seedligs from our own seed and from Alan McMurtrie ad it will be interesting to see how quickly they go to flower!

I shall look forward to seeing your 'Lovely Liza' Luc, is she pot,frame or garden growing?

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
My Liza is in the garden Chris !  ;)
Do I read correctly that your climate doesn't guarantee a good summer baking ?? I would have thought you did have a hot and dry summer  ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
Hi Luc,
It is possible to have a 'wet summer' here, but they are very rare and do not constitute a wet summer NW Europe style. It can rain like mad for a week in July or August and within a few days all will be dry again! I guess I am being just a little cautious having only seen 5 summers in Bulgaria. I shoud go for a dry summer bake is guaranteed I guess!! ??? :D 8)

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Seems reasonable to me...  ;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02:26 PM »
Lovely show Chris, and flowering Iris danfordiae two years running-I'm impressed!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal