We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2010  (Read 77049 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Reticulate Iris 2010
« Reply #360 on: April 18, 2010, 06:25:06 PM »
Chris,

I have worked with some of Alans seed and the germination rate is extremely low.  Alan warned me and it was worse that even that.  I would put it at 10% max.  Interestingly, seed I received from Alan didn't germinate at all, but some of his seed through a seed ex did quite well.  Go figure!  I suspect I have another 3 years until bloom, but that's the way it is.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hristo

« Reply #361 on: April 18, 2010, 08:36:26 PM »
Jamie,
We got 1000 seeds from Alan,after the first winter germination was 0% after the second winter maybe 20 germinations, this year germination rate from the original 1000 rose to 20% after the compost and seed was re-cycled into the open garden and raised  habitat beds, not sure reticulata iris fits into a bed made for cushion plants but hey ho!
My advice, get ultra fresh seed and / or sow seed into a selected place in the open garden! Seed that fell from our own plants last spring germinated where it fell in large numbers this year.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

PeterT

« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
I had seed Alan donated to the British Iris Society seed exchange, I have about seven bulbs from about twenty seeds, I germinated about fifteen of them in two winters but only about seven have made it to flowering size, and some of those not yet, the quickest were the reticulata armenian caucases, in three years, the retic hybred which flowerd this year has a sibling which did not manage to flower (five years from sowing), it has a rim round the edge of its falls like a watermark in addition to the signal patch, it is all in shades of purple but the zones are quite distinct
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
THanks Ashley. I haven't bought from them for quite a long time, but will send for a list. I believe Jim hasn't been well though.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Kees Green

« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2010, 09:55:37 AM »
Hi
This is the first reticulate iris that I have had, nice little plants that I think I may keep quite a few of, especially the named varieties.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

PeterT

« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2010, 10:01:19 AM »
very nice Kees, is this one Gordon?, here I am about to start repotting mine
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
My first 'Katharine Hodgkin' was out today. I'll do a pic when a few more are out. It's usually now quite so early as this. Spring is definitely on the way even though the temps and frosts have been quite severe this last week or so.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hristo

« Reply #367 on: July 18, 2010, 01:25:30 PM »
Heavens, retic season again down south! Looking forward to more of your pics Lesley and Kees.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #368 on: July 18, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
My own retics have not really come through yet but the new ones which are garden centre packs and certainly imported, from Holland, are well up. Buds not coloured yet but won't be long. No sign at all of I. danfordiae (from the Dutch source) and the bulbs were so poor I'd be very surprised if any single one has lived. Time will tell. :( After I bought them and got them home for a decent look out of their packs, I returned quite a lot and to their credit, the garden centre refunded immediately and promised me they would contact the wholesale supplier and complain of the quality.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:38:41 PM by Lesley Cox »

Kees Green

« Reply #369 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:25 AM »
Yes that was Gordon, my first Harmony flowered today.
I know the source Lesley, I was about to purchase some of the yellows but was told they had all been sent back to supplier. I was gutted but maybe it was for the best, the ones I was really after were the yellows and Katharine Hodgkin. Hopefully next year.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #370 on: July 19, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »
I replaced my Iris danfordiae (Dutch stock) last year as the previous batch had disappeared. Got two flowers from 15 bulbs and I looked the other day and all had disappeared too. Not going to bother this year!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
Yep, we're all buying from the same original supplier I suspect. >:(

Kees, I'll have a 'Katharine Hodgkin' for you later in the year when they die down. Summer I guess. I've never seen this or histrioides, winogragowii or other hybs between these at garden centres in NZ, they're available occasionally at the NZAGS show or more likely, from a salestable or tiny nursery somewhere. Best to ask, everywhere you go.

Hristo

« Reply #372 on: July 20, 2010, 06:23:29 AM »
Lifted some retics here and they were ok ( beofre last 4 weeks of sumer rain! ), not sure yet about danfordiae!? ??? Hopes are not high.....

Kees Green

« Reply #373 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »
Thanks Lesley.
And I will keep an eye out in Christchurch at the sale if I manage to get there.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #374 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
I think my 'Katharine Hodgkin' has finally gone to the great garden in the sky.  :'( :'(  I checked for it today and couldn't find any sign of it unfortunately.  Such a shame.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal