We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Excess Wendy's Gold. Anyone for swapping?  (Read 5581 times)

Granite Chippings

Excess Wendy's Gold. Anyone for swapping?
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »
I have 4 bulbs of Wendy's Gold going spare. If anyone has galanthus of a similar interest/worth/status or whatever and would be interested in swapping I would be interested to hear. I could sell on ebay but I'd rather have another snowdrop for the collection. Off to Colesbourne Park this weekend and hoping the weather forecast doesn't change that much between now and then!
Paul Regan

Well someone has to live near Milton Keynes!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Excess Wendy's Gold. Anyone for swapping?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
I imagine you will find that many of the regular contributors to the forum are in the same position as you.  I myself have made several accidental attempts to kill-off my Wendy's Gold but it has always pulled through and continued to multiply.  Yellow snowdrops have a reputation as weaklings but not Wendy's.

However, apart from the contributors, this forum has many lurkers so you may well find someone willing to trade who will contact you with a personal message.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:26:27 PM »
this forum has many lurkers so you may well find someone willing to trade who will contact you with a personal message.

"Guests" are not able to access the personal message feature of the Forum. :-X

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »
So it will depend on whether the "lurker" has signed up but is too shy to contribute, or is just looking.  Maybe your offer will encourage a few more people to sign up so they can get in touch with you?
Almost in Scotland.

Granite Chippings

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:32:04 AM »
Oh well perhaps it will have to be ebay then. I could do with a new car :)
Paul Regan

Well someone has to live near Milton Keynes!

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
Hi Paul

Wendys Gold is one that is doing well here so I, too, have lots of them.

I see from your previous posts about swapping that you have a nice collection of other Galanthus - it would be great to see some posts with pictures of your garden/collection this season.   8)

Good luck with ebay and the new car.   ;D 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »
I wish my Wendy's gold was your vigorous clone. 

I've had it for three years and it is still one bulb / one nose :(

Maybe it doesn't like being in the route my cats take over the garden  :)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »
I wish my Wendy's gold was your vigorous clone. 

I've had it for three years and it is still one bulb / one nose :(

Maybe it doesn't like being in the route my cats take over the garden  :)

I would chop it in half!  The year after I got my Wendy's Gold something ate half the bulb.  It only produced the tiniest of leaves by the end of February so I dug it up and found it had already made two little bulblets in the hole that had been eaten away.  It spent several years in a pot but the half-eaten bulb and the tiny bulblets all survived and grew and prospered.  Anyway, chopping it in half would be kill or cure.  Either the shock will kick it into action or you will kill it off and be free to get another better one.     
Almost in Scotland.

loes

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »
Jo,

my 2 Wendy`s are as slow as yours(and I have 3 cats) :(

Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:59:25 AM »
I have more Wendy's Gold then I need so send me a Personal Message if you would like to do a swap.
Almost in Scotland.

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
Hello Paul,I went to Colesbourne last Sunday and it was well worth it. Make sure you also visit Cerney House Gardens (www.Cerneygardens.com) and Rococo Gardens at Painswick. I could offer a Galanthus Lyzzick (double) if of interest. Jim.
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
.... I could offer a Galanthus Lyzzick (double) if of interest. Jim.

Lyzzick is pictured here http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4230.msg121500;topicseen#msg121500 .  I cannot see that the flower is a double, if that is what Jim meant.  Much as I respect Melvyn Jope (who found it) I can see nothing exceptional in the marking and would have thought that nivalis/plicatus hybrids that are strong garden growers are ten-a-penny?  I've certainly got a few such clumps growing in the less-hospitable spots in my garden but I wouldn't dream of giving them a name because I can't tell them apart from other similar hybrids.

[Edit]  I have had a personal message that states "It is a plicatus with good well defined dark markings and a nice shaped flower, it flowers with the foliage quite short and it stands out in my collection" so maybe the picture of the Lyzzick flower does not do justice to the overall appearance of the plant?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:18:42 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 08:33:21 AM »
Hello Paul,I went to Colesbourne last Sunday and it was well worth it. Make sure you also visit Cerney House Gardens (www.Cerneygardens.com) and Rococo Gardens at Painswick. I could offer a Galanthus Lyzzick (double) if of interest. Jim.
jJim, Alan is correct, it is not double so some confusion somewhere...
There have been a number of comments about Lyzzick on the forum so I will try and give some background. When I originally found the plant the factor that appealed to me was that it looked very robust and stood out from other plants in the area and when planted in my garden it settled down and increased really well. I gave it a name at that time more as a reminder to me of where it came from rather than anything else, in the way that most plants in a garden have a connection with people or places. From there the plant was sold by me at Cyclamen Society shows usually three in a pot for £3.50 , one purchaser subsequently did well with it at AGS shows and I found visitors to my garden would regularly point out the plant and ask if they could have a piece of it so by then the plant was gaining a momentum of its own. From there, as one forumist will remember, it was put on eBay, described as a rare snowdrop and was sold at a price significantly more than I asked for it. I then also put it on eBay and a similar thing happened.
So, is it a good snowdrop?, yes I think so, but not really so rare neither is it really exceptional but several who now grow it have written to me commenting on how pleased they are to have it.
I hope this is helpful.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
...So, is it [Lyzzick] a good snowdrop?, yes I think so, but not really so rare neither is it really exceptional but several who now grow it have written to me commenting on how pleased they are to have it.
I hope this is helpful.

I thought it very helpful, Melvyn.  Clearly there is something about this particular snowdrop that inspires affection from many who grow it but this quality is difficult to pin down or depict.
Almost in Scotland.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
...So, is it [Lyzzick] a good snowdrop?, yes I think so, but not really so rare neither is it really exceptional but several who now grow it have written to me commenting on how pleased they are to have it.
I hope this is helpful.

I thought it very helpful, Melvyn.  Clearly there is something about this particular snowdrop that inspires affection from many who grow it but this quality is difficult to pin down or depict.

You have hit the nail on the head Alan. It just has a quality about it that makes it stand out and you cannot really describe that. I only have a small but growing collection and it is one of my favourites.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal