We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus 2010  (Read 38197 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Haemanthus 2010
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
Yes, Paul, -5 C is pretty mild!  We have 25°F (-4 C) this morning, with a little snow falling and on the ground, and our winter is just getting started.

A few members of the Pacific Bulb Society online list reported in on their Haemanthus.  In Berkeley, California, they grow a great many species of Haemanthus in the ground at the U.C. botanic garden and have had no losses in the past several years.  In North Carolina, two members reported success with Haemanthus montanus outdoor in the ground, for one year in one case and for several years in the other.  However, the second report noted that no other species of Haemanthus had survived outdoors in the ground in that garden (USDA cold zone 7b).

Jim Shields
Westfield, Indiana, USA
USDA zone 5
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2010, 04:42:20 PM »
...and we had -16 degress celsius yesterday at 5am...no chance for outdoor-cultivation of Haemanthus here in Bavaria
 ::)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
Fortunately, inside the greenhouse, it's a bit warmer.  Haemanthus pauculifolius is in bloom.

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2010, 07:33:37 PM »
Hi Jim,

:D

very nice!

Your remember me with your photo to check my pauculifolius in the coldhouse, maybe one of my plants will flower also this year.

Paul Christian has sent me my ordered big bulb of Haemanthus nortieri today/yesterday. Hope it arrives ok here...im a bit worried about the cold temperatures and the expensive bulb in the box on the way to Germany

:-[

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:35:55 PM by Auricular »

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »
Good luck with the Haemanthus nortieri.  Graham Duncan has had one for about 20 years at Kirstenbosch and still has not had a bloom on it!  I have a smallish one that I got in 2001, also from Paul Christian.  It has not bloomed either, naturally.

Jim

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »
I also have 3 of them, 1 big and 2 small ones but never got a flower...
Wait and ... hope  ::)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
Fred and Auri in Bayern,

I had a small disaster with H. nortieri a few years ago.  I received a batch of seeds of nortieri, which I planted and grew under fluorescent lights for two years.  When the young seedlings insisted on going dormant, I gave them summer rest, dry, under the lights.  The first summer, I lost only a few; so I moved them to the haemanthus greenhouse for the winter.  The next summer, they were stored with the other dormant Haemanthus -- seedlings as well as mature -- under the benches in that greenhouse.

Not a single nortieri seedling survived that summer!  Note that these were 3 year old plants at that point.  I was devastated.  Of course, I didn't expect to live long enough to ever actually see any of them bloom, but I had hoped to at least be able to distribute some of them.

Jim

P.S. Greenhouse number 2 is the Haemanthus House.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:53:37 PM by jshields »

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »
Jim ,

I had the same problem like you with my H.nortieri seedlings ...not only one has survived by changing the hemispheres  :'(
No problem for other Haemanthus ( if they are big enough )

A other problem for me is H.tristis ...
I have sown it before two year- in the begin no problem ...but in last winter one after one is died  :'(

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

angie

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2010, 05:25:04 PM »
Jim
I to would be devastated. Three years of looking after these little babies and then to lose them. I would have been so mad. When you say you wouldn't expect to live long enough to see them flower how long do they take from seed to flower ?

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »

As long as we're telling sad tales, I must mention that when a friend in South Africa sent me 2 seeds of H. tristis, they arrived squashed.  Neither germinated.  I'd like to get a few seeds of HH. tristis, graniticus, even some more of nortieri.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has any of these anymore.

I am looking forward to bloom of some seedlings of lanceifolius, probably next year.  I hope to produce some seeds when they flower, if anyone is interested in trading.

By the way, my 10-year old bulb of nortieri has survived the summers quite well, so one probably just has to give the nortieri seedlings a few extra years of T.L.C.  They can  take at least 20 years from seed to flower, maybe even longer.  At my age, 76, I'll be lucky if I ever see my present bulb of nortieri in bloom.

angie

« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »
Wow twenty years from seed to flower ... I shall be 74 by then so I better get my first attempt right with my seeds.
I suppose Jim its something to look forward to.

Maybe some of the members might have seeds to give you. I hope so because you have a lovely greenhouse to grow them in and keep them happy,  good luck. Will keep watching to see all your Haemanthus in flower.

Angle  :)
Angie T.

Auricular

• My Haemanthus-group
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
Hello again,

i own a H. nortieri since 3 years, bought also from Paul Christian as flowering sized 2007. The plant is growing well but have not flowered for me.
I hope that this plant and my new (if it isnt dead after the mail-journey in this cold time...) flower in the next years and i could cross pollinate them.
But i fear i must wait manymany years and i wont have the luck that the 2 plants flower in the same year.

But first the big nortieri from P.C. must arrive here and it must build a new root-system.

Today i harvested some berries of albiflos x unifoliatus (keep fingers crossed that no albiflos-pollen had contact to the stigmas)

:)

Best wishes

Bernie

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
Wow twenty years from seed to flower ... I shall be 74 by then so I better get my first attempt right with my seeds.
I suppose Jim its something to look forward to.

Maybe some of the members might have seeds to give you. I hope so because you have a lovely greenhouse to grow them in and keep them happy,  good luck. Will keep watching to see all your Haemanthus in flower.

Save time buy a flowering size one(or two) for only £95 each !!
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

angie

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »
Wow twenty years from seed to flower ... I shall be 74 by then so I better get my first attempt right 

Save time buy a flowering size one(or two) for only £95 each !!

Money or time  ::) ;D ;D

Angie T.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »

Money or time  ::) ;D ;D

[/quote]

Angie , I'm afraid it will be Money AND Time  ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal