We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2010  (Read 107697 times)

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
Re: Galanthus February 2010
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2010, 08:33:08 PM »
Mark, take some pics of RUBY BAKER please.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2010, 11:14:31 PM »
This isn't a very good picture but I could not identify the mark on this snowdrop, which otherwise I would have taken for Wendy's Gold.  Although it isn't easy to tell from the picture, the mark looks like an inverted heart shape, quite attractive.  Of course, it may be a once-only phenomenon or just one that I do not recognise.

Almost in Scotland.

michael broadhurst

« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »
After reading some of the rather mean comments about 'Anglesey Orange Tip' I thought I would join the fray and post a picture of it in bud. I think it is a stunning plant (it's done this for at least 4 years) and a view am pleased to note that is supported by at least two of the top experts. It has to be said that the colour does fade to almost white as the flower develops which will please some no doubt. David Jordan has found another 4 different elwesii with apricot coloured outers this year. Joe Sharman says he also has several. Bad news for some as it appears that: 'The Future's not White it's ORANGE'!
I am also showing pictures a elwesii chimera which is botanically interesting (2nd year it has done this). It is unlikely that this plant could be bulked up - I'm sure to the relief of the less broadminded. Please no comments about it has virus etc - it hasn't - at least that's the experts view.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:05 PM »
How delightful that the Anglesey Orange Tip does have fans.... and what a surprise to discover that expressing a preference constitutes narrow-mindedness.... I truly I had no idea that was the case  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
Are these orange ones being found in just one area?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
I like them both  ;D and would love to add Chimera and Anglesey Orange Tip to my collection
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2010, 05:28:47 PM »
I am also showing pictures a elwesii chimera which is botanically interesting (2nd year it has done this). It is unlikely that this plant could be bulked up - I'm sure to the relief of the less broadminded. Please no comments about it has virus etc - it hasn't - at least that's the experts view.

The chimera looks fascinating.  Why do you think its unlikely to bulk up?
Has anyone tried propagating Galanthus by leaf cuttings as with Haemanthus & Lachenalia??
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
I managed to grab a few photos over the weekend in between the snow and the CGS event. Unfortunately the cold weather has prevented them from opening up yet but at least you should get the gist of it  :)

I'm not getting in to the argument about orange coloured or shaded snowdrops. I have posted a picture of Jonathan purely because I like it and actually prefer it as it is now rather than when it opens up. That's not to say that I don't like it when it is open, it's just that I prefer it like it is now. ;) If the weather ever warms up and the sun eventually comes out I may be able to post another with it open.

You should see Jonathan, Trimmer, Fanny, South Hayes, Cider with Rosie and a plant sold to me last year as Epiphany but looking at the flower and the leaves this is clearly not the case. I can't make my mind up as to whether I like it or not.

South Hayes has very strong green markings this year and seems to improve with age. Cider with Rosie is a very diminutive green marked woronowii. The colour is very light green but extremely pleasing. I just hope that it flourishes.

David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
After reading some of the rather mean comments about 'Anglesey Orange Tip' I thought I would join the fray and post a picture of it in bud.....

You may have considered my comments about the 'Anglesey Orange Tip' as 'mean' but the main point I was trying to get across was that it is not orange but off-white in the direction of orange.  However in bud the colour is clearly much stronger, as your photo illustrates.  'Anglesey Orange Bud' might be a more appropriate name.

Galanthophiles have already got a bad reputation for being prepared to pay crazy prices for rare snowdrop bulbs. Things can only get worse if we now start naming off-white snowdrops as if they were full-coloured.        
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:57:25 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
This isn't a very good picture but I could not identify the mark on this snowdrop, which otherwise I would have taken for Wendy's Gold.  Although it isn't easy to tell from the picture, the mark looks like an inverted heart shape, quite attractive.  Of course, it may be a once-only phenomenon or just one that I do not recognise.

Having recently stripped all the 'petals' off quite a few Wendy's Gold to allow me access to the sexual parts, I can confirm that the degree of yellow marking on the inners varies quite a lot, including some like yours.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

steve owen

« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
David

Nice pics. Cider with Rosie is such a sweetie.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
...'Anglesey Orange Tip' I thought I would join the fray and post a picture of it in bud.
I am also showing pictures a elwesii chimera ...

I look forward to seeing them in the flesh Mike, I have to say that, more and more, I have come to the conclusion that you have to see them in the flesh before you can make a considered opinion, photographs just do not do snowdrops justice!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

steve owen

« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2010, 07:27:28 PM »
Wouldn't a clump of really coffee-coloured snowdrops in amongst white clumps look terrific? Called "Cafe Latte" of course. :-*
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
Not sure about orange  :-\ the last time I saw one like this it had the staggy  ::)

Here is my Primrose Warburg not fully open yet but clumping up nicely
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
Not sure about orange  :-\ the last time I saw one like this it had the staggy  ::)

Here is my Primrose Warburg not fully open yet but clumping up nicely

Lovely clump, Ian.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal