We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2010  (Read 107682 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Galanthus February 2010
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
How many bulbs did you start with Ian? Mine is a clump of one at the moment and I wondered if I have enough years left to get it to the stage of yours? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #406 on: February 22, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
A few taken in the garden yesterday afternoon. Paddy

G. nivalis subsp angustifolius
G. Atkinsii
G. Atkinsii Moccas form - while I think G. Atkinsii is an excellent garden snowdrop I find the Atkinsii cultivars too similar to each other.
G. 'Bertram Anderson' - like this, a great big flower
G. 'Bungee'
G. nivalis 'Chedworth'
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:51:52 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
A tiny little one - G. 'Cockatoo', a very low-growing double less than two inches high at present.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
And an odd one - a chance abberation on a flower of G. 'Woodtown'. Two flowers seem to be fused into one. You can see the two ovaries fused together and then in the following photograph the two centres inside and, finally, the six outer petals.

Paddy

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
Nice and interesting photographs, Paddy! And that of 'Atkinsii' is even a great one, showing all the qualities of this cultivar and has an aesthetical distinction of its own.
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2010, 08:34:26 PM »
Nice and interesting photographs, Paddy! And that of 'Atkinsii' is even a great one, showing all the qualities of this cultivar and has an aesthetical distinction of its own.

Thank you for your very kind comments, Thomas.

Paddy

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2010, 08:36:41 PM »
How many bulbs did you start with Ian? Mine is a clump of one at the moment and I wondered if I have enough years left to get it to the stage of yours? ;D

David I bought only one bulb for £???? as a dormant bulb about 5 years ago it quite clearly likes me  ::) but all can go wrong in short order when th N fly is on the prowl.

Is yours in pot or is released into the wild?

Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
I find the Atkinsii cultivars too similar to each other.

You shock me Paddy ;) ;D
Fine pictures & plants, even to my philistine eye.
Did you get to Altamont this year?  Unfortunately I wasn't able to travel up there last week or weekend.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
Not sure about orange  :-\ the last time I saw one like this it had the staggy  ::)

Here is my Primrose Warburg not fully open yet but clumping up nicely

Lovely clump, Ian.

Paddy

Thanks Paddy yours look good too. Bertram Anderson is a favourite of mine too
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »
I find the Atkinsii cultivars too similar to each other.

You shock me Paddy ;) ;D
Fine pictures & plants, even to my philistine eye.
Did you get to Altamont this year?  Unfortunately I wasn't able to travel up there last week or weekend.

Ah, well, truth will out. I like G. Atkinsii very much, a great garden plant, but there are several cultivars of G. Atkinsii which, to  my eye, defy separation, Lyn and Silverwells are two which spring to mind. James Backhouse is differentiated simply by the fact it produces aberrant petals.

Yes, we went to Altamont on Tuesday last. My god, it is a dreadfully cold place. In conversation with Paul Cutler I commented that we had had a low of minus seven celcius and he told me that they had minus seventeen during a cold spell in January, lake frozen etc.

The snowdrops were behind as might be expected but were doing fine last week. They had damage to a lot of shrubs and trees and fear they might have lost quite a few.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
Not sure about orange  :-\ the last time I saw one like this it had the staggy  ::)

Here is my Primrose Warburg not fully open yet but clumping up nicely

Lovely clump, Ian.

Paddy

Thanks Paddy yours look good too. Bertram Anderson is a favourite of mine too

Ian, yes, Bertram Anderson is a fine snowdrop, great size and presence in the garden. Paddy

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »
Michael I like both snowdrops especially the variagated plant. Maybe Orange Tip should have an RHS colour chart colour.

Paddy, Bob's Woodtown doesnt have the yellow mark.

Hagen of course.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »
After reading some of the rather mean comments about 'Anglesey Orange Tip' I thought I would join the fray and post a picture of it in bud. I think it is a stunning plant (it's done this for at least 4 years) and a view am pleased to note that is supported by at least two of the top experts. It has to be said that the colour does fade to almost white as the flower develops which will please some no doubt. David Jordan has found another 4 different elwesii with apricot coloured outers this year. Joe Sharman says he also has several. Bad news for some as it appears that: 'The Future's not White it's ORANGE'!
I am also showing pictures a elwesii chimera which is botanically interesting (2nd year it has done this). It is unlikely that this plant could be bulked up - I'm sure to the relief of the less broadminded. Please no comments about it has virus etc - it hasn't - at least that's the experts view.

As for 'Anglesey Orange Tip': I just showed the photograph to a friend, who is by no means a galanthophile but a teacher of the fine arts and therefore with a certain feeling for colour and well, he considered this as a muddy brown without any orange. I have not seen it in the flesh, but maybe names like caffe latte or latte macchiato would be more appropriate ...  :)  Nevertheless, we all would only be too pleased, if we could add it to our collection, if somebody would offer it to us at a reasonable price. But I fear, nobody will.  ;D

The elwesii chimera is really stunning, but , as often with these variegated plants, seems to be without any vigour of growing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:16:14 PM by Thomas Seiler »
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
Paddy, Bob's Woodtown doesnt have the yellow mark.

I must say I don't recall taking great notice of these markings last year but the whole clump has these markings this year. Perhaps, Bob's will do so next year.

P.S. Looked back at photographs from last year and, yes, these marks were then present along with two stronger marks which are hidden, I think, by the outer petals in the photograph above.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:34:37 PM by Paddy Tobin »

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »
Paddy, I have just seen a wonderful show of Atkinsii at Rococo Garden near Painswick in the Cotswoolds. Thousands in large drifts but I can`t understand why none were for sale,Jim.
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal