We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2010  (Read 107645 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Galanthus February 2010
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Thanks, Martin. Flora Bulgarica makes no distinction between any forms of Galanthus elwesii and I used the name only because it appears in "Bulbs" by Phillips and Rix. They also say this form is from southern Bulgaria, whereas these plants were photgraphed in northern Bulgaria- 2 mountain chains and a couple of hundred kilometres further north.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #466 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17:45 PM »
Sorry, Simon, I thought I recalled you saying that your local flora distinguished between elwesii and elwesii minor (instead of gracilis) but maybe that was someone else. My memory ain't what it used to be. The Phillips and Rix book is out of date on this. Latest naming is gracilis, to replace the older names graecus and elwesii minor for the small elwesii-like species with applanate leaves and (often) twisted leaves, plus usually outward-splaying inner segments. However, as I've mentioned elsewhere, just how distinct the two species are is debateable, as there's some overlap of the distinguishing features between the two in wild populations.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #467 on: February 24, 2010, 01:25:16 PM »
Thanks again, Martin. These ones certainly had outward- splaying inner segments. Is there any record of the distribution of Galanthus gracilis within areas where G.elwesii is found?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #468 on: February 24, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
Thanks again, Martin. These ones certainly had outward- splaying inner segments. Is there any record of the distribution of Galanthus gracilis within areas where G.elwesii is found?

Yes, I understand it's not uncommon for them both to be found in the same area.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »
I thought I'd better check that there was something in the garden for Kentgardener to see when he comes up this weekend ::)
The birds are still maliciously pecking the flowers off my snowdrops - biting the hand that feeds them :-\

Hence I have had to protect one or two things, the first picture shows the undecorous method of choice.  The second what is inside - Galanthus 'Wasp' which was bought as a single bulb in 2008.  As he likes oddities (well he is coming here so he must do) I am pleased to have found G. 'Miss Adventure' at the Blacksmith's cottage event, thanks Mike, this picture shows the white spathes beautifully. 

I picked up my order from Monksilver at the weekend and was pleased to see that I have got G. 'Ecusson d'Or' after trying for the last three years, more so that it does have yellow on the outers which you could see better this weekend.
Also a present from a very kind forumist a poculiform elwesii which looks to be a good doer as it is it's first year and it has two flowers.

Two nice green tipped flowers, G.'Modern Art' and G.'All Saints' (another good doer), and lastly G. plicatus brauneri, very short this year but a nice snowdrop.  Perhaps it is because, like all the rest, it is having to force it's way through layers of moss :-X
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #470 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:10 PM »
Brian,

The gospels have something to say about hiding your light under a bushel but hiding your snowdrops under pots is certainly a new one to me.

Whatever you are doing, your snowdrops are certainly looking well and good to have 'Eccuson d'Or' in your collection after trying for three years. The poculiform elwesii is looking very well - and with two flowers, lucky you.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:30:53 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »
Three from the garden today - G. 'Green Lantern', an Irish cultivar which arose in Altamont Gardens, Co. Carlow, 'The Whopper' which isn't fully open here yet but is very promising and, finally, 'Modern Art' but the markings are quite faint - compare them with Brian's above.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:26:14 PM by Paddy Tobin »

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
Brian / Paddy

Have you noticed any pollen on the elwesii Poculiformis? If so Martin is anxious to get a bit or at least he was before he got into the Bushmills.  It would be great to cross it with a Poc nivalis.

Paddy - The Green Lantern has good strong outer tip markings, lovely.

A few snowdrops close to the house are just about to open.  Strange to hear that Luit first Hamamelis is just opening now. Can we possibly be ahead in the witchhazel department?

johnw - incredibly raw here today and dark at 4c, the harbour looks pitch black.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »
John,

To date I have had no hope of pollen as the poculiform elwesii has only opened fully on two days and remained closed on all other occasions. I will continue to keep a watch on it - might even put in under a pot like Brian does - and catch pollen if I can at all.

'Green Lantern' is indeed a good one. I was given a bulb last season and it has flowered and produced a side shoot already so I am very pleased.

Hamamelis are in full flower here.

Paddy

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #474 on: February 24, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »
Hi Brian,

Glad to see that your improvised snowdrop protection device (patent pending) is working. As you know, I have been having the same problems here with the birds destroying emerging flowers. I'll give your solution a try at the weekend assuming that there's anything left work protecting.

I'm pleased that you got 'Ecusson d'Or'. I got this last year and it hasn't flowered this year so be prepared! I think that this is best viewed in a trough or planter as I fear that it would get 'lost' in the garden. I hope that it grows well for you as you certainly seem to have the knack going by the photos you have posted.

I hope all goes well this weekend with John F. He certainly gets about. London on Tuesday, Aberdeen at the weekend and Norfolk this weekend....where will he turn up next?  ;D

David
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
where will he turn up next?

Cambridge ???

Paddy I think Green Lantern has great markings, a very nice snowdrop indeed.

John/Martin no luck with pollen ....so far!  We live in hope.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
....where will he turn up next?  ;D

David

David - He may be in your garden right now.  How would we tell though?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #477 on: February 24, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
Can anybody identify this double?or the 2nd flower. 3rd photo is my Modern Art from Cerney recently
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:02:26 PM by jnovis »
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #478 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
....where will he turn up next?  ;D

David

David - He may be in your garden right now.  How would we tell though?

johnw

;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #479 on: February 24, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »
Managed to find an hour to spend in my own garden today  ::)

A few snaps:

1 - Walrus
2 - Mark Solomon
3 - Lady Elphinstone
4 - Trymlet from one source - curious to see if this expands as much in a weeks time
5 - Trymlet from another source....
6 - Trumps
7 - Elwesii (ex Jeremy Platt) lovely substance to the petals
8 - Another green marked from Greatorex woods (found by DQ, BE, RH and myself last year)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:39:49 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal