We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2010  (Read 107627 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Galanthus February 2010
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
It's a lovely thing, Paddy.
We still don't know why x allenii needs to be monitored?  ???

Anne - x allenii can be viral.  Some may be clean but I don't know if the virus is latent and then can re-appear or if when you get a good clean one it stays clean.  Perhaps others can tell us.   I am therefore keeping x allenii and Augustus away from the rest.

Lovely Poc there Paddy.  It will be interesting to see if pollen develops in a few days.

johnw 
John in coastal Nova Scotia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
Paddy it looks like it has good anthers.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »
Very nice Paddy, a real treat.  Have to keep an eye on that one!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 11:26:52 PM »
Does anyone grow plicatus Enid Bromley? It's identical to plicatus Maidwell C.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 12:06:34 AM »
'John Gray' is out in force in Kent too Anthony.

I must admit that I am considering getting rid of it from my garden as it annoys me each year the way it flops everywhere!   :-\     Last year I moved it so that it was at the edge of a raised bed in the hope that it would fall gracefully over the edge - but nooooo.....  it flops ungracefully in the opposite direction.  ::)

John Gray does need a position in full sun, plus plenty of feeding and time to settle in. But when it's doing its thing in a good position it's a stunning snowdrop.

I managed to take some quick snaps of clumps in the garden open in the sun today (Friday) on a quick pit-stop to a home and garden that I've seen far too little of recently (on the road all week selling my novel). I'll try to find time to resize and post them tomorrow.

Also found a new beauty flowering amongst my seedlings that really made my day - supposedly a cross between John Gray and Bertram Anderson, which from the look of it might actually have been a rare successful cross between two triploids, showing characteristics of both parents, plus being incredibly strong and stout. My breeding programme may finally be getting somewhere (an improved, stronger John Gray that doesn't flop over so easily in less-than-ideal situations being one of my prime objectives).
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »
Also found a new beauty flowering amongst my seedlings that really made my day - supposedly a cross between John Gray and Bertram Anderson, which from the look of it might actually have been a rare successful cross between two triploids, showing characteristics of both parents, plus being incredibly strong and stout. My breeding programme may finally be getting somewhere (an improved, stronger John Gray that doesn't flop over so easily in less-than-ideal situations being one of my prime objectives).

Congratulations Martin.  Can I put my name down for one in 2015 please  ;D

I've decided to give all my John Gray away, as Brian has correctly said my garden gets very little sun at all during the winter so I am never going to be able to grow John Gray at its best. 

That will also give me a prime planting spot to put one of my others  :D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Hi Richard

More great photos.  Cute little Robin assistant you have there too.  8)

Is the "Daphne's Scissors" definitely correct?  I have not seen one with green tips before - though I have only seen it in the flesh half a dozen times so I could easily be wrong.

I've always had a soft spot for 'Highdown' - I think it is the colour of the ovary that appeals to me.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
Mark - interesting Woronowii - it sounds like a real giant - make sure you give us a report next year.

Very nice upright Elwesii poculiform Paddy - looks much better behaved than 'The (floppy) Bride'.   ;)
John

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
Is the "Daphne's Scissors" definitely correct?  I have not seen one with green tips before - though I have only seen it in the flesh half a dozen times so I could easily be wrong.

I hope so, is my 3rd attempt, the first I was given definitely wasn't right, was given another a few years ago which has faint green tips and another 3 bulbs last week which is what I took the photo of yesterday, my other has a better "scissor" and fainter marks which are mentioned in the monograph.

Highdown always looks great in a clump, am always amazed at how tiny the bulbs are.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
John, this photo shows Daphne's Scissors with a slight green mark

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
Just to show how good 'John Gray' can look when it's in a sunny spot, well fed and settled in (which admittedly can take a few years), some quick snaps of established clumps in the garden yesterday:

The first pic is in a shadier spot, the second two in full sun.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:52:23 PM by Martin Baxendale »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »
And some equally quick snaps of the nice newcomer I found amongst my seedlings yesterday. Supposed to be a cross between the two relatively infertile triploids 'John Gray' and 'Bertram Anderson', and it does show some characteristics of both parents, plus it's very strong and sturdy, and looks like it may well be polyploid (triploid or tetraploid):

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »
Just measured my new seedling (pics just posted) and, to give you an idea of size, it's 25cm tall with outer flower segments 3cm long and 2cm wide. It's a bit of a thunker.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »
Okay, silly mistake in that last post. I put the outer segments are 30cm long. Now corrected.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
Martin - That one looks very good   We certainly need good-doers that spread like mad.  And thanks for the tip on John Gray, what a difference.

Have you thought of going at some of the sprouting seeds with colchicine?  Perhaps a new race of Frankendrops.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal