We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2010  (Read 107692 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Galanthus February 2010
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:45 PM »
seemples - nobody wants them because everyone is now aiming too high chasing the impossible
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
Paddy, I have just seen a wonderful show of Atkinsii at Rococo Garden near Painswick in the Cotswoolds. Thousands in large drifts but I can`t understand why none were for sale,Jim.

Jim,

Do say you had your camera with you and that you are going to post photographs soon. The spread of G. atkinsii you describe sounds wonderful.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #422 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:11 AM »
And an odd one - a chance abberation on a flower of G. 'Woodtown'. Two flowers seem to be fused into one. You can see the two ovaries fused together and then in the following photograph the two centres inside and, finally, the six outer petals.

Paddy

I have never yet found a four-leaf clover but I reckon snowdrops with fused ovaries are quite easy to find if you look in a 'wild' population of snowdrops - maybe G. plicatus in particular.  Here's one I noticed on Saturday.

Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #423 on: February 23, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
How many bulbs did you start with Ian? Mine is a clump of one at the moment and I wondered if I have enough years left to get it to the stage of yours? ;D

David I bought only one bulb for £???? as a dormant bulb about 5 years ago it quite clearly likes me  ::) but all can go wrong in short order when th N fly is on the prowl.

Is yours in pot or is released into the wild?

It's in the wild Ian. I bought the bulb last February. So by the time I can just manage to potter down the garden I should have a nice clump ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mavers

« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
Chimera is delightful Mike thanks for showing us & a warm welcome too.

I would like to see the 'orange' snowdrop in the flesh it is certainly an interesting colour break.

Mike

Mike
Somerset, UK

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #425 on: February 23, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
This little guy has popped-up in the lawn.  Very small, at about 3"/7cm tall, but a charmer.  I have no idea what it is and believe I planted it from a grab-bag of Galanthus seedlings.  Any ideas as to possible species, or is it clearly a hybrid?

The next is a sweet G. nivalis that popped up amongst the woodland beds.  I rather like the gracile form.  Hope it keeps it.

unk Galanthus seedling
G. nivalis seedling
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #426 on: February 23, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »
You may be interested to see what John Grimshaw has to say about the orange tipped snowdrop:

http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #427 on: February 23, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
For pics of snowdrops at the Early Bulb Display, Dunblane last Saturday see here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4607.30
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #428 on: February 23, 2010, 01:32:28 PM »
That's an interesting curiosity, Rob; I hope it proves stable.
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #429 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
Any ideas as to possible species, or is it clearly a hybrid?

No sign of folding back on the leaves so not a plicate.  The leaves seem slightly curved, are they applenate or supervolute?  The photograph does not show the base of the leaves so I cannot tell.
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #430 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
This little guy has popped-up in the lawn.  Very small, at about 3"/7cm tall, but a charmer.  I have no idea what it is and believe I planted it from a grab-bag of Galanthus seedlings.  Any ideas as to possible species, or is it clearly a hybrid?

The leaves and flower look like elwesii.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #431 on: February 23, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
Thats a nice find Rob.  ;D

I found a four petaled woronowii today in my local garden centre  :) . I hope that it also stays the same next year
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #432 on: February 23, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
Rob.  I love it.  My guess is that it won't do it again (I have collected a few of that type of anomalies over the last few years and they all turn out normal the following year  ::) ).  Glad you got the chance to take a picture and share it with us - just my sort of weirdness.   ;D
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »
Any ideas as to possible species, or is it clearly a hybrid?

No sign of folding back on the leaves so not a plicate.  The leaves seem slightly curved, are they applenate or supervolute?  The photograph does not show the base of the leaves so I cannot tell.
Alan, it is volute, but not really supervolute in that the leaves do not completely enclose each other.  There is a slight boating and curve to the leaves. As Martin mentioned, it does resemble G. elwesii a bit, but I've never seen one this small or this early in season.  It is ahead of G. nivalis by at least a week.  Other than blooming time, leaf arrangement and general size, I really do not know how to tell the various species apart.  Apparently, the petal marks are of little use.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #434 on: February 23, 2010, 05:14:53 PM »
Boy that is a strange one Rob.

Here's another weird one, an elwesii, a friend just found.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:40:23 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal