We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2010 Northern Hemisphere  (Read 13959 times)

Hristo

Re: February 2010 Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
Gail, get in there now, this is the lst year that some of the cultivars will be available from Janis.
Leonid Bonderenko has some interesting retics too.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »

Cyclamen coum bed is coming to life.

Cyclamen coum bed 1
Cyclamen bed bed 2, I see a few imposter's have crept into this bed.
Leucojum vernum var carpaticum Podpolozje. I have some difficulty keeping this one going.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:24 PM »
Michael,
nice Leucojum vernum var. carpaticum with two flowers per stem and yellow tips 8)
How long do you grow it already?
Best wishes
Armin

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
Armin, I have it three years but it did not flower last year and is making no effort to increase. I also have vernum var vernum which did not appear last year at all,but I see a nose appearing today.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
Michael,

I lost L. vernum 3x times until I replaced my loamy soil by a sand/compost mix and deep planting (15-20cm). L. vernum does not like to dry out in summer and prefers cool conditions. I keep it moist and in shadow place. Placed in sun it is susceptile for Narcissus fly! Now it works!
If you give magnesia fertilizer yellow tips turn to green!

Same situation in my garden 1st. noses appeared.
Best wishes
Armin

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
Leucojum vernum var carpaticum Podpolozje. I have some difficulty keeping this one going.

Michael - I too have had problems with this one.  I don't understand why that should be as the others all grow vigorously.

I got it from Janis several years ago in a group order with friends and dearly want it to thrive.

johnw  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:53:58 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
I brought my Adonis inside so that they could dry off and open out.  They are such beautiful sunny flowers they really make me smile.  The yellow is the widely grown 'Fukujukai', the coppery coloured one is 'Chichibushinko' (from Paul Christian 3-4 years ago).  'Fukujukai' is meant to be sterile. does anyone know about the other?  I've been waving a paintbrush around so I hope it is fertile!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Two great looking plants Gail !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
I've never tried Adonis, maybe I should? Lovely plants Gail.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gail

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »
I've lost a few in the open garden - don't know why.  But these seem happy in pots and are certainly worth a bit of effort.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »
Some slugs love especially Adonis vernalis - they first ate those in my old garden and only afterwards Cypripedii.
Only could keep them alive for some years by using snail bait  - now the garden is free of both genera.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Gail

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
Some slugs love especially Adonis vernalis - they first ate those in my old garden and only afterwards Cypripedii.
Only could keep them alive for some years by using snail bait  - now the garden is free of both genera.
I wonder if it was slugs which had my Adonis vernalis.  I've currently got four ducks and they are doing a brilliant job of hoovering up all slugs/snails so I may have another go with the Adonis in the garden.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

jomowi

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
I have had several Adonis outside for several years in moist  shady spots.  They will even self sow. The hardest job is to get them established for the first year, then they develop a better basal system, they can be  a bit untidy and break at the base.  Slugs have never bothered them so  I wonder if that is the problem or just being broken off, a little stick or other support is needed. 
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Hristo

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »
IThe yellow is the widely grown 'Fukujukai', the coppery coloured one is 'Chichibushinko'
Stunners Gail, Bravo!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

angie

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
I have had several Adonis outside for several years in moist  shady spots.  They will even self sow. The hardest job is to get them established for the first year, then they develop a better basal system, they can be  a bit untidy and break at the base.  Slugs have never bothered them so  I wonder if that is the problem or just being broken off, a little stick or other support is needed. 

Well that's good to hear I was wandering if we could grow them in Aberdeen. I do like the yellow one Fukujukai. Would I be better starting them in a pot first or do you think straight into the garden.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal