We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus disease  (Read 5863 times)

jomowi

Galanthus disease
« on: February 06, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
I have several large colonies of Galanthus 'Fred's Giant'.  In recent years, usually as the leaves emerge from the growing sheath they get covered in white mould (Botrytus ?).  The flowering stem rots and dies. The problem does not relate to overcrowding or recent lifting of the clumps.  I have tried planting the bulbs in sharp sand without success.  This year most clumps were above ground two weeks ago and looked well.  When they emerged from the latest 10 days of snow again I found many 1 cm high rotting masses.  The bulbs are unaffected but without their leaves for several years they will eventually die.  My only answer is to drench with systemic fungicide ('Fungus Fighter'), if I get the timing right I have even saved leaves.  I think the infection starts from the growing sheath.  I am reluctant to drench in the absence of infection.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Only 'Fred's Giant' is affected
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Galanthus disease
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:48:29 PM »
Brian,
sadly you have such troubles.
Photos would be be helpful for further judgement.
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
A guy in America with a big collection of snowdrops had problems with snow destroying emerging snowdrops. I cant remember what happened to the plants. He now grows his under cover of some sort
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:55:19 AM »
A guy in America with a big collection of snowdrops had problems with snow destroying emerging snowdrops. I cant remember what happened to the plants. He now grows his under cover of some sort

I've never witnessed anything like that over the years.  We've had winters with snowcover from November till April, even a freak late May snow and snowdrops have never been bothered by any of it.  Puzzling.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 09:59:21 AM »
I'd be pretty shocked too if the snow was the problem given that many Galanthus species grow wild in areas with considerable snow cover in winter. Maybe it is just this cultivar and it is time to move on and replace it. It would certainly be better than dousing the whole area with fungicides!
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
I'm only telling you what he told me. I'll be speaking to him soon and ask him what actually happens

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:26:12 PM »
Roma will be able to refresh our memories of this, I'm sure.... but wasn't Fred's Giant originally growing (found?) deep in the Cruickshank Arboretum?
My point is that perhaps it really prefers the deeper cover of a woodland setting 
(where it will be kept drier) and is not tolerant of the extra damp from the type of wet snowy winters we have been experiencing lately?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
My remedy for sick snowdrops in small numbers is to dig them up, clean them up, spray them with whatever fungicide you have available, pot them up in large pots, isolate them in another part of the garden and keep the pots in shade during the summer.  This has proved to be surprisingly effective.

If you listen to today's (7th Feb) Gardener's Question Time, Bob Flowerdew puts forward a treatment for botrytis you could try if your garden is not too exposed!
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
Oh, yes. wee touched on that already :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »
My remedy for sick snowdrops in small numbers is to dig them up, clean them up, spray them with whatever fungicide you have available, pot them up in large pots, isolate them in another part of the garden and keep the pots in shade during the summer.  This has proved to be surprisingly effective.
That's my option too, unless I feel I can bin them.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

jomowi

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
Tried the dig, clean and replant in a clean place option, even separating the damaged plants from the others, work well, couple of years at least trouble free.  Then more problems.  Sorry no photos, I have already treated them with fungicide and saved many plants.  I am going to try a prophylactic treatment with good old Cheshunt compound i.e. copper fungicide, its cheap and still available.  Maggie if you recall our garden is rather shady, and very rich in compost/ organic matter, just a very good woodland soil.  'Fred's Giant' does very well and can multiply very fast, thence the need to lift regularly.  Snow in itself is not the cause, this year it just hid the onset of problems.  Never seen the problem on any other snowdrops.

jomowi

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »
2 photographs of infected 'Fred's Giant'.  They have been treated with systemic fungicide and some have produced healthy looking leaves.  The white fungal fluff can be seen round some stems.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:26:38 PM by Brian Wilson »

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
Brian,

What is the drain cover in the background of the photograph? If, by chance, it is part of your sewage system there is the possibility of some overflow onto the ground around the bulbs and this could certainly lead to fungal infections.

Just a thought.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

jomowi

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »
Paddy, not a drain, just a slate stepping stone.  No drains in the back garden at all

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal