We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2010  (Read 38602 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Paeonia 2010
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »
This is a picture of 'Early Bird' taken at Binny Plants in Scotland last year.  I would have said it is different to the Wisley plant.....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

iann

« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »
Oh dear.  Not alpine.  Not subtle!  That's not a finger holding the flower, that's my arm.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

illingworth

« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2010, 03:38:22 AM »
Lesley here is what we grow as Early Bird in Canada. From last year. Flowers stand up well without support in light shade.....so long as there is no rain.
-Rob
Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

illingworth

« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2010, 03:56:01 AM »
This seedling has been improving over the last few years. It is similar in stature to Early Bird and produces seed as a bonus, whereas Early Bird is a dud as far as seed is concerned.
Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »
Oh dear.  Not alpine.  Not subtle!  That's not a finger holding the flower, that's my arm.

Maybe not subtle but gorgeous!  Is that Rimpo?

Lovely plants Rob.  There seem to be a lot of tenuifolia hybrids being released in the States now but they are not seen much over here yet.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Kimjy

« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »

Maybe not subtle but gorgeous!  Is that Rimpo?

Lovely plants Rob.  There seem to be a lot of tenuifolia hybrids being released in the States now but they are not seen much over here yet.

In the photo below from 14th May is a US-bred tenuifolia hybrid (still a young division) called 'Little Red Gem', which was a gift from Reaths Nursery in Michigan USA but which is available in the UK from Binny Plants. It seems much more shade-tolerant and is more vigorous than the species especially here in South Devon where it's far too wet in Summer for the species to be really happy. It's extremely hardy and like all Paeonia, needs loads of root space and a deeply prepared well-drained soil with plenty of organic matter to perform well in the longer term.

Planted with sweetly scented Dwarf Bearded Iris 'Lilli white', Paeonia Mlokosewiczii [Paul Christian] and Rhododendron 'Barnaby Sunset', which flower for me at the same time. In the background behind the Rhododendron you can just about make the cream-flowered Paeonia (W. var) Macrophylla [Paul Christian], a very strong-stemmed architectural species with huge leaves (as you'd expect from the name !), which is in the parentage of some of the most sought-after US hybrids.

The photo doesn't really do the colour justice - a bit of shade accentuates the beautiful glowing cherry red colour, which catches your eye from right across the garden. Little Red Gem is one of my favourite Paeonia.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2010, 09:48:36 AM »
Early Bird is really dramatic Rob - a wonderful intense colour and I love the open form.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
What a beautiful planting combination Kim heightening your Little Red Gem - thanks for showing it in your garden.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
"Straight" P. tenuifolia struggles here so I must try Binny Plants to see if 'Little Red Gem' might like life in Aberdeen.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »
May I ask what Paeonia could it be?

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Kimjy

« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
May I ask what Paeonia could it be?

Definitely looks like a 1st generation tenuifolia hybrid. Could be a mature specimen of L.R.G. (?) as it's been widely available in cultivation for a long time, but there are several others that are similar form. Check out the link below ..

http://www.oldheirloomroses.com/Peony/Little_Red_Gem.htm

Kimjy

« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
"Straight" P. tenuifolia struggles here so I must try Binny Plants to see if 'Little Red Gem' might like life in Aberdeen.

Good luck with that - I'd plant it in full sun in Aberdeen though, Maggi !

Binny's 2010 list also had another dwarf rock garden Paeonia hybrid called 'Picotee' that's very beautiful too and might be worth seeking out if you order from them. A very interesting hybrid [P. corsica x P. macrophylla], it was originally introduced by Saunders in 1949. 'Picotee' has crimson stems (colour lasts right through to dormancy), large leaves for such a small plant making a good contrast with the tenuifolia types, and white single flowers that are stained/edged pink. Becomes wider than it is tall and, unusually for Peonies, it grows well in large pots too.

Looking at their prices, I may be wrong but someone may possibly have been tissue-culturing it to bring the price down as they have been doing with the Intersectionals.. I got mine from USA a coupe of years ago as full root-divisions and a reliable German supplier is asking 3 1/2 times Binny's catalogue price, but you could be onto a real bargain if it's the genuine article !

The pink staining fades quite quickly in full sun (lasts longer with a bit of shade) and is unfortunately bleached out on my photo taken in very bright sun (25th May), but you get some idea of the form from the picture.  Grows vigorously for me.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
Great info, Kim ,thanks.

Yes, the problem of finding enough sun up here and in our garden in particular is  tricky one.  ::) :-[ :-X :(
I keep trying, of course ....lots of seed from Hans J. to encourage me  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
Kimjy thank you very much! But it is not red and it is not little.  :) It is about 135 sm high. Sorry I didn't said it before. I also have P. tenuifolia - it is very different. This unknown peony looks closer to P. anomala.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:29:33 PM by Olga Bondareva »
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
Olga :

for me looks your plant more also like a P.anomala !
I think this species is well distributet in your country....

Kimjy :

I'm not so shure that P. 'Little Red Gem' so much P.tenuifolia blood .....but it is really a nice plant
This is what I found ithe web :

LITTLE RED GEM (David Reath, Vulcan, Michigan), March 1988. Hybrid, first bloomed 1980. Seedling #G-9. Parentage Gwenda F2 x self. A new rock garden peony, a single light red; blooms very early with tenuifolia season. 12-18" in height, fine cut foliage, dwarf, mound type, blooms above dwarf plants. Slender strong stems. Bulletin #266.

To P.'Picotee'
It is difficould with the crosses from Saunders - I have read he used plants for his crosses which he has received under this names ....but it is not shure that this the true species or hybrids or wrong named plants ....
Anyway - he made a lot of wonderful crosses and I'm a big fan of his plants
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:09:55 PM by Hans J »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal