We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2010  (Read 38576 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Paeonia 2010
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »
Quote from: Diane Clement

I have the field notes for all the ACE collection  
Diane - Was a more recent sheet sent out?  There are very few numbers on the one I received in 1997.  I'd be interested in it if it's emailable.
johnw  

No, it's from the original Field notes that were sent out in March 1995 to all subscribers to the ACE expedition.  I have the documentation because of my job for the seed exchange.  I also have an updated list from September 1996 with some name corrections and some names previously identified as sp.  

If anyone is interested, I also have all the field notes for the AGS/MESE expedition which went to Macedonia and Epiros in 1999.  This collection was not on subscription, but was offered to all participating in the AGS seed exchange.  

Unfortunately none of this information is in electronic format but I am happy to give you information on any numbers you are interested in.  One day when I have time (;D  ;D)   I will try and put it all together into an electronic document  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:31:15 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

PeterT

« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »
A paeony flowering in my garden from seed labled Paeonia daurica, any one know if this is correct? I am not familiar with daurica.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2010, 07:18:53 AM »
Peter,

that is not daurica.  It looks like a ludlowii hybrid, section Moutan.  Nice flower.  Maybe Hans can add more info.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2010, 08:04:31 AM »
Peter

I agree full with Jamie - thats not P.daurica ( look in older topics there are pics )

It is not 100% shure to say what is your plant ....maybe lutea or potaninii ( = delavayii v. angustilobia )
How big is your plant ?
Makes it stolonnes ?

The late flowering time could be a advice for P.potanini ...or as Jamie says a hybrid with P.ludlowii ...
Wait some years so that this plants can reach the full size

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

PeterT

« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »
Thanks Jamie, Hans.
"If it seems too good to be true it usually is" -it's a good plant though, it has been in flower for a month and still a bud or two on it, also the leaves are quite finely divided. :-\

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
Gail :

I hope your plants has also yellow flowers !!!

It is flowering now, and yes, it is yellow.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
Gail :

my compliment !!!

PeterT

« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
Lovely Gail, It looks a bit like my seedling though,- any thoughts Hans, Jamie?

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Peter ,

yes they are similar ( and also same flowering time )
I wrote you that your plant could be P.potanini

Gail

« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
Does anyone have the P. emodi hybrids 'Early Windflower' &/or 'Late Windflower' and if so, do they set fertile seed?  I bought a plant supposedly of P. emodi from Paul Christian about 15 years ago and a friend who has one from the same source said it was actually one of the Windflowers.  It certainly is a very vigorous plant and has never set seed which may indicate a hybrid origin.  The very similar plant at Beth Chattos used to be labelled P. emodi but they have recently changed that to 'Late Windflower'  and I bought one from the nursery to compare with mine.  I was surprised today to notice two fertile seeds on the Beth Chatto plant so I checked my original plant and found one seed on that one (out of 50+ flowers).

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2010, 12:00:37 PM »
Gail,

I, too, have an 'emodi' from P. Christian, and have been advised it is actually one of the Windflowers, although it was sold as the Highdown clone of P. emodi.  I have a second clone from a China import that does bloom a week or two later and seems to be the species.  After I obtained my second clone, the first plant did set a few seed, much as you have described, through cross pollination, although the reverse cross didn't take.  I suspect that, yes, we both received an 'Early Windflower' instead of the species.  I must say, it is a superior clone and certainly deserves the rather large area it takes up, but would have preferred to get the 'real thing'!  Another case of live and learn.  It does produce many more flowers than the species for me.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Hi Gail + Jamie ,

I have two big plants of P.emodi ....the true species !
One is grown from seed ex northern Afganistian ....the other is from Will Mclewin

I have each year a lot of seeds ....if anybody is interstet so please feel free to send me a PM

Hans

Lukas H

« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
Hello everybody,

This spring I have taken some pictures, of a plant which is in my opinion a Hybrid between delavayi var. lutea and ludlowii. The leaves are very similar to ludlowii, but the color and the blotches are not of ludlowii origin. Beside the three carpels of on of the flowers.

What do you think?

Greetings
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:01:29 PM by Lukas H »
Basel area
northwestern part of Switzerland
elevation: 342m
climate zone 8a

Gail

« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
Interesting Lukas - is it one you have raised yourself?  It looks a bigger flower than those of my ludlowii plants and I like the blotches.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lukas H

« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:52 PM »
Hello Gail,

No I have not raised this plant. It is growing in a collection where it was wrong labelled as ludlowii. But I knew that they tried some crossings. Therefore could the Seeds get mislabelled. In my opinion it is a beautyful cross. I am looking foreward to its growing habit if its getting more stoloniferous or more like ludlowii. The leaves are more or less ludlowii origin.
Basel area
northwestern part of Switzerland
elevation: 342m
climate zone 8a

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal