We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2010  (Read 38614 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Paeonia 2010
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »
Hans,

interesting your size references for this group.  I have some that I believe are P. potanini and they are indeed quite short and somewhat creeping, although I have yet to bloom them. The seed is from the local Flora.  My P. lutea (from Kelways) is quite tall at about 1.5m, while my P. delavayi, all of which I grew from Flora seed, are about 1m to 1.5m.  The foliage amongst the three is quite distinct, with P.potanini being much finer and P. lutea very bold, heavy and almost yellow-green.  All of my P. delavayi have somewhat different colours, ranging from brick red right through to yellow-orange mottled.

While I have you attention, here are some foliage shots.  Maybe you can help me ID the plants.

The first two are from what i believe is P. anomola.  I does produce flowers in pairs and threes.  Seed raised.

The next is a plant I received as P. japonica, but the flower is always red.  As I have not read of anything but white japonicas, I take it this must be P. obovata. From Paul Christian.

The last two shots are from what I believe is P. peregrina.  One of the plant in bud, with the other a shot of the leaf tips.  I have read of no other Paeonia that might have such leaves.  Also, the flower is bright red and doesn't open fully. Seed raised
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
Jamie ,

it is really difficould to receive a true P.lutea ...you will receive mostly P.ludlowii ( more than 2 m)
A other sign for a true P. delavayii is they grows always single - it make  not stolonens
It exist also a P. potanini v. trollioides ( also yellow flowers ) but I can not help with a pic .

I'm not shure with P.anomala ....I have a very similar plant which is called P.beresowskii - P. anomal should have a thinner and more dissectet leaves ( maybe a hybrid ? )

Your P.japonica reminds me on P.mairei ...could you compere it ?
The leaves are not typical like a P.obovata

This is 100 % a P.peregrina - with the not opened flower is it typical
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Regelian

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Hans,

thanks, I take it I do have P. ludlowii then.  I think this plant would reach over 2m, if I didn't trim it occaisionally.

All of the seedlings I have designated as P. delavayi do not produce stolons.  They are very tight clumping plants.  Of course, due to the varied flower colours, they may represent off-spring of hybrids, although the mother plant really fits the delavayi description.  In any case, I enjoy them.

I was wondering the same on the non-obovata-type leaves, as these are clearly lanceolate, but didn't think P. mairei was even about for sale.  I suppose anything is possible these days.  My plant is rather short, never having grown higher than 60cm.  Perhaps I should transplant it to a moister location and see if this changes its stature.

Now, that is an interesting idea with the anomola.  Maybe it is P. bersowski, but maybe a hybrid.  All the info I've found places beresowski under veitchii, but this plant doesn't really act like veitchii, if you know what I mean and the leaves are a bit too heavy for that species, don't you think.

At least we have pergrina sorted out!

Thanks,
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »
Now in this days I had the first flower on one of this plants ...and it is red !

Hans,
It will be most interesting to see if further plants will also be red !

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »

Hans,
It will be most interesting to see if further plants will also be red !

Luc ,

I have given away a lot of this seedlings to other plantfriends ....but 2 are still here ( they will flower in next year )

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
Jamie ,

and a true P.delavayii can flower from orange red until near marron ...but never yellow !
Here are some older pics from me :

P.mairei
P.beresowski
P.obovata v.willmottiae
P.peregrina ex Calabria
P.peregrina ( samples from habitat )
P.lutea ( a very nice form )
P.ludlowii

Regelian

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
Hans,

thanks, I see what you mean on the P. mairei, that is definitely the same plant as what I have.  The glossy, lanceolate leaves are identical.  The obovata is nothing like mine.

P. beresowski
could well be what I have.  It looks very much the same, especially the fuller form of the flower with the leaves.

Very nice lutea clone!  I've never seen anything quite like it.  One of my delavayi seedlings is similar, but not so well defined.  Is this more of a variety of delavayi, or are they seperate, or is this unresolved?

Thanks, again,
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Jamie ,

a other information :
P.maireii is always one of the earliest flowering peonies
Both ( P.maireii + P.obovata ) like more shady conditions ....

P. lutea ( the true P.lutea ) differs from P.delavayii :
It makes stolonens
Always more or less yellow
Always smaller than delavayii
P.delavayii makes easy seeds .....P.lutea not so well ( this is maybe the reason whay this true plants are rare )

No problem -I'm glad if I can help !!!

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »
Dimitri - lovely P. daurica plant, it shows the undulate leaves that Hans commented on but not as wavy as the plant at Leicester (which looked more like some ornamental cabbages!).  Beautiful tenuifolia 'Flore Pleno' too, I've rarely seen such good flowers as that; they seem to be quite delicate and turn black at the petal tips if frosted.

Hans & Jaimie - great pictures and interesting comments.  P. mairei is becoming more available over here.  My plant came from Will McLewin's Phedar Nursery http://www.phedar.com/catalog/
Picture below is old image of P. potaninii at Cambridge Botanic Garden where it is spreading to form a nice low ground cover.

Angie - sorry your mlokosewitschii is not so good this year.  I don't regularly fertilize peonies in the ground but if one is not doing so well a high potash, tomato type feed will certainly do no harm and may help.  The other thing to consider is if the plant may be getting overcrowded. Molly can cope with a certain amount of shade and indeed looks lovely in woodland but does tend to give more generous flowerings in sunshine.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

angie

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
Thanks Gail for the advice, my molly is in full sun but maybe because there are a lot of other plants too close to it its maybe struggling a little. I think I will  give it a little feed.
I was thinking last year well if it produced 23 flowers what can I expect in 2010 maybe 30 flowers ::) but I suppose I should be happy I still have it after this really cold winter. Its not yet open and after having hail storms the other day I am glad its late this year.
I keep forgetting how to re size my pictures ( not good with computers ) I will see if someone can show me again and I shall post some pictures of my peony's.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Here a some new pics and a other interesting story ......

Before many years Will McLewin send me a little seedling of a P.rockii ....on the label was written :
P.rockii from orginal seed ex Stern ( F2)

The plant grows slow and in last year I had first flowers ....in this year some flowers more  :D

Now after reading the book from Will understand I a little more - there is written that Mr. Rock has sent to Mr. Stern a letter - ( there is also a pic from the lamasery from 1925 ) from this plants has collect Mr.Rock the first P.rockii seeds .....and I'm really happy to have material of the orginal P.rockii !!!

Will has given now this plants of P.rockii which growing in Highdown in the garden from Mr.Stern the cultivar name P.rockii 'Highdown'
If anybody is more interestet so please read the book from Will !!!

Here is my plant :
Paeonia rockii ex Highdown

Enjoy
Hans
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:41:22 AM by Hans J »

james willis

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
I have a potful of paeonia rockii seeds which I am hoping will germinate sooner rather than later and after viewing your photographs Hans I am even more anxious that this beautiful plant will oblige and come into my garden.
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
Paeony seedlings of any kind are well worth the wait, I reckon, but any rockii is more so!
Perfect photos of perfect flowers, Hans... and such a good provenance to put  icing on the cake!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
  • mediterranean alpines, greece, turkey, iran
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
some wild paeonies in my garden...
peregrina ?

my big lutea...

wildpaeonie mascula ?

mlokosewitschii

tenuifolia

delavayi from seed

regards
chris
Rheinland-Pfalz south-west Germany, hot and relatively dry

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »
Thanks for showing these fabulous paeonia flowering so sumptuously...

Your delavayi from seed is stunning Christian.

Hans, your Paeonia rockii 'Highdown' is to die for - this is my all time favourite paeony and to have the history attached to your beautiful plant is extra special, I have downloaded your photo to have a daily fix  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal