We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione Spring 2010..... to July!  (Read 68968 times)

Eric Locke

Re: Pleione Spring 2010..... to July!
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
Eric, very nice looking P. Kituro 'Sulpher', it is my favorite, but all your plants are beautiful.
K.

Karel, Kituro "Sulpher" is a very nice hybrid that could easily pass for a Forrestii ,but perhaps a slightly paler yellow than some .I find this steady to bulk up and a nice panfull should not take that long to achieve. :)

I wonder if this is your No 1 favourite hybrid? and it got me to thinking what others forumists favourites are too.
Mine would be for a species - Aurita and for a hybrid Littondale "Oxnop".

Two more in flower today

Piton
Zeus Weinstein "Dessert Sands"

Eric
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:54:40 PM by Eric Locke »

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #196 on: March 31, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »
Hello Rob,
maybe you would like to try someone else to do your flasking? I can recommend  someone who also does Ian's. His name is Roy Barrow, he also runs a tropical nursery, royden.orchids@googlemail.com. His flasks have proved to be very vigorous. His charges are reasonable, and you say how many flasks you want. No germination no charge. I've asked him if he is willing to take on more pleione seed and he said yes.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »
Rob,

To try and keep it simple, acid is the lower number and alkali is the higher number on the scale. IE 1-6 Acid with 1 being very Acid, 7 being neutral and 8-14 being Alkali, 14 being strong alkali. Therefore if you had an acid PH of 3 you would need to add some potassium hydroxide to take it UP to 7 if you wanted a neutral PH.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:56:26 PM by Slug Killer »

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
Hi Rob,
Yes there seems to be confusion about the naming of wild hybrids. The rules are that natural hybrids from the wild should be written with an "x" in front to signify that they are hybrids and then the name should start with a small letter, not a capital. It should also be in italics. So the correct way to write the names for all the natural hybrids that we know of are like this:

Pleione x barbarae
Pleione x christianii
Pleione x confusa
Pleione x kohlsii
Pleione x lagenaria
Pleione x taliensis

So we can tell the natural hybrids from ones produced artificially, the artificailly produced hybrids have to be given a Grex name. Grex names are written with a capital letter and not in italics. So, in the case of yunnanensis x forrestii, if a plant of this came from the wild it should be called Pleione x christianii, written just like that. If a plant of this was articially made it should be called Pleione Krakatoa. If Paul Christian is writing these a different way then he is incorrect. To make things more confusing, it is also permissable under the rules to write the name of the articial hybrid in this manner: Pleione x christianii Krakatoa grex. You can read a more detailed explanation of these rules in the Orchid Review Supplement Vol 111, no. 1253, page 80.

Inevitably the wild material carries a higher price than the man-made versions of the same thing.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »

Back to some Pleione  :)

Two more Leda and Krakatoa clones.

Eric

Seems like you held back some amunition Eric...  ;D ;)

Some quite extraordinary Pleione there !!  :o :o

The Krakatoa with the pinkish petals is gorgeous.. Kituro Sulpher is amazing... and I could continue like that !!!  Don't let us hold you back from posting more...  ;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

sjusovare

« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2010, 08:02:16 PM »
and now Pleione Parientin
Julien

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
Hi Julien,

interesting flower. what is the cross? and did you make it yourself? is it different to Pln Paricutin (Pln. Tongariro x Pln. x confusa), Ian Butterfield 1986?

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »

yes thanks Dave i know how pH works :o

Very glad to hear it. It sounded like you did not as you were trying to use an alkaline (potassium hydroxide) to adjust the PH in the wrong direction ;)

Good Luck.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »
Got caught in my potting shed this afternoon while the hail was falling out of the sky. I have a shelf around the whole room just at eye level, where I grow things I like to look at every day.
First Spiranthes sinensis, which has been flowering since October 2009. I think it's coming to the end now.
Then Pln Glacier Peak, quite early this year. Also Calanthe sieboldii, which lived outside during the winter of 2008/9 but I had the good sense to put it indoors in my pleione store last winter. Pln Bandai-san makes a nice show with its big flowers. Pln Bromo comes in different colour forms, pink and apricot. I rather like this one. Pln Eastfield Purple Emperor has such wonderful contrast in its colour scheme, it looks stunning on a showbench or display.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:57:04 PM by Maren »

Eric Locke

« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »

Nice selection Maren

Nice to see a White Glacier Peak as most seem to have varying amounts of pink too. This is a popular cross that has been done many times and the only pure Whites I have seen before are from Rainer Kretz ,which I guess is this ones origine ?.
Bromo looks nice .

Eric

sjusovare

« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19:10 PM »
Hello Maren

It's a plant I bought 10 years ago in a garden festival, I have no information on its parents, and it could as well be misnamed (a Pln humilis from the same seller turned out to be X barbarae).
  The bulb is green and flat like some clones of formosana alba, but it sadly never increased nor produced any bulbils.

I have one Pln Paricutin that Ian sent me as a gift last winter along with my order but it's not growing yet so I cannot compare.
Julien

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
Hi Eric,

the Glacier Peak came from Kath Fairhurst. I wonder if she re-made the cross herself. It's possible.

Eric Locke

« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »

Maren, Kath did a re-make and I was talking to her about it last Sunday. ;)
She did have on the showbench a pot of them but all these did have a good amount of pink in the petals.

Eric

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
Wonderful selection Maren !
Glacier Peak definitely is one to look out for !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments. I have put a red star on the label of the Glacier Peak, so that I can keep it apart from the rest to grow on into a bowlful. It seems like a good candidate, having three flowers on a medium sized pseudobulb. Cheers. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal