We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: RHS Halls feb 2010  (Read 11858 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: RHS Halls feb 2010
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
Mark,

I've looked again and I think it is just that she resembles Susan Tindall.

Paddy
Away ye go! Nothing like her! ::)

So, who is she then?
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »
I don't know! :-[
 My first thought when I saw her was that her face was familar, but I often think that for no good reason ( Ian says!) ... it may just be the lady has a nice face!  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
Is that really Ecusson d'Or, I thought the whole thing about it was it had yellow tips to the outers.  If it is it's a very poor example isn't it?

I have yet to see a good example of Ecusson d'Or.  I think the true thing about it is that it may have yellow tips on the outers but often does not.  It's not a plant on my list of wants (although I would not refuse one if offered).
Almost in Scotland.

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »
As requested by Brian, I have attached a few pictures from this afternoon's visit to the RHS Halls. I think that most have been posted already but here goes.

Hopefully, if all goes well, you should see Epiphany, Pat Mason, a drift of Magnet, Moreton Mill, almost everyone's favourite of the day, Trymming and lastly Erway. If not, it's back to the drawing board!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:51:06 AM by David Quinton »
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »
Steve  - Did you think that Foxgrove Whittallii was a particularly good form?  If it's the same one I saw I was quite taken by it.

johnw
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:07:02 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 02:08:31 AM »
David  -  You can beat the shape of Erway.  What were your thoughts of Trymming compared to the other look-alikes in the Tr...   fold? 

johnw

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
I know you asked David but I thought Trymming was the best of the bunch with large flowers and a very attractive dark green mark.  These days there are so many Trym-alikes that a new one needs to be a good example to get a name.
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 08:09:16 AM »
Steve  - Did you think that Foxgrove Whittallii was a particularly good form?  If it's the same one I saw I was quite taken by it.

johnw
John
I have a snowdrop "Edward Whittle", so having purchased and photographed the "Whittallii" cultivar on the Foxgrove stand I came home and read the lengthy trewatment of this (these) cultivar(s) in The Book. It seems to be almost as big a conundrum as Brenda Troyle.
My EW isn't flowering yet so I can't make a direct comparison. All I can say is that the Foxgrove plants are big vigorous plants with a good-sized flower.
Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Mavers

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 08:28:15 AM »
Fabulous pictures everyone thanks for posting. Some very beautiful snowdrops! :)

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:10 AM »
David  -  You can beat the shape of Erway.  What were your thoughts of Trymming compared to the other look-alikes in the Tr...   fold? 

johnw

John, I thought that Trymming was very nice and certainly up there with the best Trym derivatives. I wouldn't say no to having it in my collection but I do rather like the Trym-like offerings. I appreciate that not everyone shares my liking of the Trym seedlings but they don't have to buy them, do they?

The flowers were very large and full. It looked great indoors but it may be worth checking if it can keep upright under all the weight of the flowers outside in the rain and snow. I'm ready to take a chance!
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 09:29:57 AM »
Thanks for your answer Alan b I was rather disappointed with the picture (not the photographer) not showing yellow outers and it's good to know someone else's views, I wonder what it's optimum growing conditions are.

Thanks David, I'm growing to like Epiphany, and, as you say Trymming is most interesting as long as it lives up to expecatations in the wild of the garden ;D I wouldn't mind giving it a chance 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
In Steve's photo of Epiphany, the outers look a delicate shade of apricot - are they?  I ask as the camera can lie - and I am pastel shaded colourblind  :)

Can anyone rationalise the thinking behind the awards.  Why does Robin Hood get one now  ??? and others that appear equally good compared to the 'winning entries' do not.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi Arthur

I've just looked in the garden and Epiphany is white - not the same sparkling white as Angelsea Abbey - but definitely not a delicate apricot.

I did overhear one of the judging panel say in passing "It's about time, we should have given Robin Hood an award 100 years ago".
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

johnw

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »

johnw
John
I have a snowdrop "Edward Whittle", so having purchased and photographed the "Whittallii" cultivar on the Foxgrove stand I came home and read the lengthy trewatment of this (these) cultivar(s) in The Book. It seems to be almost as big a conundrum as Brenda Troyle.
My EW isn't flowering yet so I can't make a direct comparison. All I can say is that the Foxgrove plants are big vigorous plants with a good-sized flower.
Steve

Steve - It will be interestintg to hear how Edward Whittle compares with the Foxgrove one.  Do let us know.  When the snowdrop season slows it would be interesting to start a topic on Brenda Troyle and have forumists send in shots of their "Brendas".

johnw

johnw

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:05 PM »
Alan / David  - Now Trymming sounds intriguing.  The Trymm-like one here is rather squinny when it opens but does get bigger and better as it matures.

The thing I find bothersome with them is the erratic outer markings - alot of bleeding of the green, some w shaped and some not.  Getting a bit fussy but it hasn't stopped me buying them.  ;)

I had hoped for buds on my Trymimpostor seedlings this year but it was not to be.

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal