We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2010  (Read 22006 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Erythronium 2010
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
In that case the mistery seems to remain unsolved Maggi...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2010, 08:36:55 AM »
Well, It seems certain, however, that it is not a case of flowering and non-flowering clones.

From my own experience - from other plants - disregarding Gerben and Henrik - I would have believed it to be more a question of light.
Would there be any difference there Maggie?

I have noted that some woodland species - and some Nymphaeas - switch between a (juvenile?) non-flowering stage and a floriferous stage.
A setback will take them back to non-flowering. They seem to start flowering if remining in the same spot and growing sufficiently well there.
Lilium lankongense behaves just like  E americanum. It proliferates (and migrates) by stolons without flowering but if one of the many offsets finds the situation good enough, it will turn into a flowering bulb. Fritillaria camtschatkensis behaves in a similar way.
More nutrition seems a likely way to push the plant into flowering but I assume more light or a better watering regime could work in the same way depending upon what the bottleneck might be.

Cheers
Göte.

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
our non-flowering patch turned into a flowering one... and we had not lifted or dug at all, and certainly no manure!  :-X

I've had the same thing happen Maggi --An established non performing patch suddenly flowering.

However a friend of mine feeds her trilliums with pelleted sheep manure --they are vigorous plants with strong flowering stems .......

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

vanozzi

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »
My modest collection of possible erythronium hybrid seedlings have begun to flower. :)
This pink is recorded as "Californicum white beauty x Helenae", but that appears extremely suspect.Some pollen of Revolutum pink beauty I guess is the likely donor?
Paul R
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
Very nice Paul

Here are

Erythronium dens canis

Erythronium dens canis snow flake

Erythronium grandiflorum ssp pallidum - lifted from a trough about 8 weeks ago and planted into fresh mix in a pot.At the time of lifting i could only locate 2 bulbs which confirmed my thoughts that the clump wasn't doing particularly well. However today i found a number of seedlings in growth left behind in the trough ..... ::)
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:01 AM »
So far, my patch, about 80cms across last year, of Ery. umbilicatum has totally failed to show. I'll have a look later this morning and a dig around but if it has all died I'll be devastated. Why ever WOULD it?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2010, 09:01:02 PM »
On a visit to my local garden centre today I found packets of E. dens-canis among the dry bulbs.  Completely dead corms were available  for £2.99 each. Quite a bargain!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:26 AM »
Planted these the other day, two bulbs in each baggie. Have another 10 mixed non-named Dens Canis still to come in the mail. Hopefully(crossing my fingers) I see some flowers come spring.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
My patch of Ery umbilicatum is up at last and has a couple of buds today. Why so late compared with Dave's?

In flower now is Ery 'Ruapuna Dawn' a wonderful vigorous hybrid from Joan Whillans, probably revolutum x californicum 'White Beauty. Seedlings from RD come same as WB.

The two for ID please. I thought they were the same but one has white anthers while the other has yellow.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:04:43 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »
Joan's Ruapuna Dawn is a gem, isn't it?

The first yellow looks to be a E. helenae.... if the style does bend downwards, as it appears to. The filaments seem straigth sided and the anthers pale... so helenae or a hybrid of it. It might just be  multiscapoideum...... you'd need to have a poke down through the grass!
The second has a style which goes out at right angles from the center, it seems.... the  anther filaments have the broadened "dutchman's breeches" shape.... so an oregonum...... :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »
Thanks Maggi, After another close look I'm still puzzling. All I'm sure of it that it isn't multiscapoideum. Single stems from single leaves. There's a fresher flower out this morning on the first and the yellow markings are slightly different, so probably a hybrid batch. They were grown from seed ages ago.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:53 AM »
Hi Lesley

I believe your erythronium pic - the one with the white pollen is of E. multiscapoideum. Not all branch early or may never have multiple stems. It has white pollen and a moderately branching stigma and a nice bright lemon to yellow centre blotch. And it usually is mid-sized and outward-facing.

Its not E. helenae which is almost identical but ALWAYS HAS yellow pollen.

It is not E. oregonum. It is bigger, the flower is held downwards and the pollen is yellow except in leucandrum. The flower colour is a bone white to greenish white. It doesn't have a big bold central blotch.

It is not E. howelli. It has yellow pollen and a clubbed stigma but it does have the big blotch, often more orange, and is outward facing.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Marcus

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Lesley,

I love the 'Ruapuna Dawn'!  Great leaf colour and excellent flower form.  I'm glad the umbilicatum has surfaced.... pics please when available?

Howdy Marcus!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
Hi Paul!  ;)

have your trout lilies finished up there on the big island?

Cheers, Marcus

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2010, 11:09:13 AM »
Marcus,

Not quite.  I still have a couple of flowers on multiscapoideum, and some 'White Beauty' seedlings from a friend a few years ago.... and one other that I can't recall the name of right now.  The oregonum ssp leucandrum pot has just finished in the last few days.  Some great germination on seed of japonicum, sibiricum and caucasicum recently too, so I hope they do well in the future.

So do you have the 'Ruapuna Dawn' imported as yet? Just asking! ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal