We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2010  (Read 20893 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Erythronium 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Aaron, great pix.... I suppose you know  you are making an old Bulb Despot very happy?!

Not only an old BD Maggi - some other folks also appreciate this....
 ;D ;D ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ed Alverson

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »
Thanks Aaron - now we have photos from all three centers of Erythronium diversity represented, eastern North America, western North America, and Eurasia.

I was out earlier today and photographed Erythronium oregonum growing wild in a local pioneer cemetery.  Here is a photo; the flowers aren't their best because of all the rain we have had recently, but you can get the idea.  I've posted a few more photos of this site in the "cemetery" thread.

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 11:39:05 PM »
We have a "Cemetary" thread? Is it for dead plants or dead people? ??? Don't you know that old gardeners never die, they just lie down and gently turn to compost. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
We have a "Cemetary" thread? Is it for dead plants or dead people? ??? Don't you know that old gardeners never die, they just lie down and gently turn to compost. ::)
;)
It is for the plants, Lesley.  Never let it be said that we leave any plant locations unexplored in this forum!
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5069.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
Erythronium tuolumnense is doing great this year..  :D :D... I hope rain, wind and hail don't damage it..  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
Erythronium tuolumnense is doing great this year..  :D :D... I hope rain, wind and hail don't damage it..  :-\

I hope everyone is aware that the "usual" form of E. tuolumnense has considerably smaller flowers than the general run of other Pacific coast erythroniums. In this detail, it is something of a disappointment. However, there are other strains about that have larger flowers commensurate with its compeers'. Worth looking for.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
Thanks Aaron - now we have photos from all three centers of Erythronium diversity represented, eastern North America, western North America, and Eurasia.

But we are still missing the American midwest and that great rarity among erythroniums, a native of Minnesota, E. propullans.

It is an endangered species and hence effectively impossible to acquire, but also happens to be the smallest of the erythroniums and hardly worthy of garden room. One now-deceased collector of rarities here had it in her garden, and though she crowed over it, the most polite response I could muster was a discreet silence.

I got in trouble using the word "squinny" to describe Eranthis pinnatifida in the Eranthis thread, but I'll stick my neck out once again and say that, as I saw it, E. propullans is also squinny.

Wikipedia has a modest article on this plant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythronium_propullans
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »
The earliest of E. dens-canis is the form collected near vil. Lipcha , Eastern Carpathians, W. Ukraine. Allways blooms wel in advance of other dens-canis
Nice selection of E. sibiricum LALAC WONDER
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
Thank you MAggi. It was on my radar originally but like many others, had vanished. Even all the iris and Galanthus threads haven't shown up for months. I'll have to go right through the whole index and renotify.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
And two more... Another E. umbilicatum with white anthers/pollen and the lovely E. mesochoreum. I do not grow E. americanum or E. albidum in the garden.

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Hristo

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 06:22:11 PM »
E. mesochoreum is a stunner Aaron! Increase by seed?
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
Yes, only by seed for most forms of it. I do have one that offsets with some frequency though.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Ed Alverson

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 02:05:23 AM »
But we are still missing the American midwest and that great rarity among erythroniums, a native of Minnesota, E. propullans.

Rodger, I do have some photos of E. propullans, taken in the wild some 10 years ago.  Not only is it a native of Minnesota, it is the only vascular plant that is endemic to Minnesota, so the Minnesotans are very proud of it.  And it is a fitting flower for these modest midwesterners, given that it has the smallest flowers of any Erythronium, anywhere in the world!  It grows in a restricted portion of what is called the "Big Woods", which are dominated by sugar maple and basswood.  These forests have the typical understory of abundant spring ephemerals found in mesic forests in temperate portions of eastern and midwestern North America.  Interestingly, at this site, Erythronium propullans grows with the more common and widespread Erythronium americanum, from which E. propullans is said to have recently evolved.

Count the number of tepals on the flowers of E. propullans - some flowers have only 4 or 5, instead of the "normal" 6 tepals of Erythronium.

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Hristo

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
Cheers for the pics of E.propullans Ed, the flowers may be small but the contrast in the foliage is very attractive indeed.
Is this species under pressure from forestry / human activity or is its habitat safe?
Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:17:33 AM by Hristo »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Hristo

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »
Three dens-canis cultivars in the garden, two identified, the third needs a name, I'm hoping the distinct pinkish dusting may bring forth an ID....Help!!!
1) Erythronium dens-canis 'Pink Perfection'
2) Erythronium dens-canis 'Snowflake''
3) Erythronium dens-canis - Unknown Cultivar

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal