We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2010  (Read 21258 times)

Ed Alverson

Re: Erythronium 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
Is this species under pressure from forestry / human activity or is its habitat safe?

The species is endangered partly because of the limited distribution and small number of sites (only 14 small populations), but also a variety of other factors, ranging from habitat loss to ecological changes to trampling by wildflower enthusiasts.  In addition to the Wikipedia article that Rodger mentioned, there is more info on the web site of the Center for Plant Conservation at
http://www.centerforplantconservation.org/collection/cpc_viewprofile.asp?CPCNum=1838.  There is also a nice magazine article on the web at http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/natural_resources/ets/dwarf_trout_lily.pdf

Fortunately at least 4 populations are protected in parks or nature preserves.  At the site where I saw it, park managers had constructed a boardwalk along the edge of the population so people could see it without trampling the habitat.  So people in Minnesota are definitely working to preserve the species.

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Hristo

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
A very practical approach Ed! Always good to hear about sensible conservation practices.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
Chris, that 3rd picture looks pretty much on the way to E. caucasicum don't you think?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hristo

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 05:43:27 AM »
Lesley, I see what you mean though pollen is black indicating dens-canis, usual problem is I have never purchased E.caucasicum, this was purchased as a dens-canis cultivar, vegetative increase is strong pointing towards a dens-canis cultivar. The speckled red centre is making me lean towards something like 'White Splendour'. Maybe should take Ian Youngs bulb-log advice and just regard as dens-canis white form!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 05:54:22 AM »
Chris, that 3rd picture looks pretty much on the way to E. caucasicum don't you think?
E. caucasicum has yelolow anthers. See picture something earlier on this topic.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »
some Erytronium dens-canis in flower today,
Ery.d.-c. `Moerheimii`
 ``          mixed seedlings
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
Some dens canis from lago di garda in the garden of a friend going feral (picture shows only seedlings selfsown)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:35:41 PM by partisangardener »
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
These don't normally do well for me, but the late spring has encouraged the stems to lengthen before the flowers open. Two forms of Erythronium sibericum.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
The Lake Garda E. dens-canis is very nice. Wish I could make it back to north Italy in the spring.

Here is E. americanum in flower in another area in the Cumberland Mountains. Not sure what is making the heavy flowering this year, but all the populations I have seen are flowering really well. Last summer was very moist and cool with only a few days above 90F.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
These don't normally do well for me, but the late spring has encouraged the stems to lengthen before the flowers open. Two forms of Erythronium sibericum.

Lovely sight, Anthony.
I know the feeling - out here they practically flower below ground level...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »

Lovely sight, Anthony.
I know the feeling - out here they practically flower below ground level...  ::)
They are far better after cool winters.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »
Erythronium are now starting to flower well here in the warmer weather. Two portraits of plants in flower today, E. rostratum and E.umbilicatum.

ArnoldT

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »
Flowering today here in New Jersey

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Well, I have leaves but no flowers on the test spot. The leaves are huge compared to some in another spot that have buds(4 plants I can see so far). I'm wondering if light conditions plays a factor? The spot with the four plants with buds is a dark spot.

I'm making a new bed this summer, I don't want them to take over the coum bed.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
Some dens canis from lago di garda in the garden of a friend going feral (picture shows only seedlings selfsown)

Axel, some magnificent leaf mottling on thos dens canis!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal