We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 19288 times)

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
Re: March 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 07:40:18 AM »
This seasons daff bulbs have just arrived so busy labelling.  I hope the weather is OK in the weekend.

Lesley, you would be so proud of me.  I just spat my spleen at a politcally correct nincompoop, online for all the world to see.  It will probably come back and bite me but whatever.
Christchurch, New Zealand

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
Another genus flowering this time of the season is the striking Haemanthus varously known as Blood lily, Paint brush, Bible plant and Elephant's ears.
The Haemanthus coccineus is grown as much for its large strap-like leaves as for its scarlet flowers, which resemble paintbrushes with their central clusters of golden stamens.
As summer progresses, the large fleshy rounded leaves appear, these lie flat on the ground, and last until early the following summer when they dry off as temperatures rise.
The Haemanthus humilus "The Giant" is another spectacular species with leaves as large as 60 cm and has enormous flower heads.
Look like perhaps a few more Haemanthus species budding up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:03:02 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
Well done Ross. I am indeed proud of you. Will you share with us what it was that moved you to these extreme? ;D

Good Lord Bill, what a fantastic sight!!! Do photograph them again when in full leaf because I think that would be equally exciting.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »
Had word this morning that my order from Marcus Harvey will be packed today, so plenty to do in coming days and weeks. Fortunately I'm having a two week holiday from my job, starting March 18th.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Well done Ross. I am indeed proud of you. Will you share with us what it was that moved you to these extreme? ;D

I have been organising a soap swap between 7 soap makers in NZ with the understanding that we would be reviewing.  Anyway one person apparently only wants the reviews to be sweet and nice (as opposed to constructive, IMO).  My long email could be summarised to "get a life".

I anyone says to me "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything" I reply, "If you can ONLY say somethig nice, don't say anything".

Just FYI for anyone interested my new site (soap and chain maille jewellery) is up and running - www.wild-hybrid.co.nz

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »

............I have been organising a soap swap between 7 soap makers in NZ..........

Not a spectator sport then? :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:25 AM »
This interesting species Crossyne flava syn. Boophane flava from the Cape, has pale yellow flowers with brown tips, that are small but many, with tepals much recurved on long pedicels.
Flowerheads with more than 200 flowers is not uncommon.

Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
Bill, every time I see one of these amazing flowerheads, I think it must be November 5th and time for a firework display!

Just FYI for anyone interested my new site (soap and chain maille jewellery) is up and running - www.wild-hybrid.co.nz

Ross, never let it be said that our Forumists are a dull and unimaginative bunch..... soap AND chain mail jewellery..... who'da thunk it?!!! 8)
(BTW: do you ship?)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:35:38 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Bill, every time I see one ofthese amazing flowerheads, I think it must be November 5th and time for a firework display!

Me too, they just explode with energy and colour but, unlike fireworks, they are better longterm value  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:41:28 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »

............I have been organising a soap swap between 7 soap makers in NZ..........

Not a spectator sport then? :P ;D
Might be like watching paint dry (or seedlings germinate)

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »

Ross, never let it be said that our Forumists are a dull and unimaginative bunch..... soap AND chain mail jewellery..... who'da thunk it?!!! 8)
(BTW: do you ship?)

Absolutely

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »
Also flowering for us is the elegant Lycoris longituba known as the White Spider Lily is a large handsome plant from China with the flower stems up to 50-60 cm.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
For a bit of a change in the scenery, here are a few Dahlia's classified as the Collarette group of Dahlia's.
Climate zone 10

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
Also flowering for us is the elegant Lycoris longituba known as the White Spider Lily is a large handsome plant from China with the flower stems up to 50-60 cm.

Fantastic photo of great looking flower Bill - when do plants become referred to as male (handsome) or female (?)  ;D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
Bill,

The Lycoris is not longituba! I am curious if the leaves appear in autumn or spring? In Flora of China, depending on the arrival of leaves, it would key to L. straminea (being ochraceous) or L. x albiflora, but the stamens and style are likely too long for the latter.

Aaron Floden
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal