We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 19271 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: March 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:14 AM »
H. coccineus is currently in a 18cm terracotta pot on my sitting room windowsill (gets light from east and south).  Compost is a mix of John Innes and grit.  I've just checked the label - I got it in 2000 and it has not flowered yet (embarrassing admission!).  The leaves are just starting to die back at tips so I was going to give it a high potash feed then let it dry out for summer.....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
I'm wondering if there's a lot of point in giving the high potash feed as it is about to be dried out? Wouldn't it be best to give it when in strong root growth at least?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
Lesley is right, strong  root growth is important, with additionally NPK ( 1-2-3 ) plus trace elements at the right time is also beneficial.
Container/pot grown plants of course can be successful if done correctly, but in many instances plants get rootbound or restricted in a small pot, especially bigger bulbs like Haemanthus.
I still think your Haemanthus being a South African plant that need plenty of sunlight, warm conditions and often baking in summer, does not get enough sunlight and/or other important aspects on your windowsill for successful flowering.
If all efforts have failed, I would still try to grow it in a nicely sheltered, sunny, south facing position outside, or glasshouse.
Anyone else with more additional advice or recommendations on this all to common problem?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:31:17 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Gail

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
If all efforts have failed, I would still try to grow it in a nicely sheltered, sunny, south facing position outside, or glasshouse.
The only glasshouse I have is a rather manky lean-to with inadequate ventilation, things in there freeze in winter and cook in summer....
I may just have to move!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »
The only glasshouse I have is a rather manky lean-to with inadequate ventilation, things in there freeze in winter and cook in summer....
I may just have to move!
http://australia.gov.au/topics/immigration
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »
I may just have to move!
cheers  fermi

You beat me to it Fermi, but New Zealand would/should be a better option, wouldn't agree? ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:25:46 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
Another interesting plant growing in the The Puna Quarry is the Yucca filamentosa, commonly known as Adam's needle.
Yucca filamentosa is readily identified from other Yucca by white threads (filaments) on the leaf margins.
Flower stems up to 2m. tall and bear masses of pendulous cream flowers, in late summer.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:33:30 AM by Maggi Young »
Climate zone 10

Gail

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
I may just have to move!
cheers  fermi

You beat me to it Fermi, but New Zealand would/should be a better option, wouldn't agree? ;D ;D ;D

;D  Bill and Fermi, I can't decide where I would rather be, land of the duck-billed platypus or land of the kiwi.  I'm going to have to see both before I decide!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
In late summer Rhodophiala bifida produces small lustrous pinkish red trumpets with maroon lines in the throat and prominent golden anthers.
It is easily grown in a sunny position and the bulbs can pull themselves deep into the soil, unlike Hippeastrums.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
Not 100% sure of this Lycoris species, but think its Lycoris rosea
Climate zone 10

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »
Not to the previous standards but my Haemanthus coccineus seems to be happy this year.
Arum pictum - a favourite of mine, only one flower so far this year unfortunately.
Paris Quadrifolia not sure if its coming or going with this crazy season we're having.
A late blooming Pachystegia rufa in the alpine garden.
Last of the seasons Arum seed - helped by my daughter.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2010, 05:24:04 AM »
Arum pictum - a favourite of mine, only one flower so far this year unfortunately.

Very nice Arum pictum Doug, does it set seed?
Climate zone 10

angie

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:50 AM »
Love your Pachystegia rufa 8), looked it up as I had never seen this before, wish I could grow this one. I love anything with white daisy flowers.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2010, 01:49:28 PM »
Two more cheerful autumn flowering species are Empoduim plicatum  and Empoduim namaquensis
The E.plicatum has dwarf golden yellow star-like flowers which open in the afternoon in autumn and early winter.
With the E.namaquensis the flowers appear before the leaves, and while open, both have a very strong perfume, noticeable all over the nursery.
Climate zone 10

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2010, 02:42:31 PM »
Two more cheerful autumn flowering species are Empoduim plicatum  and Empoduim namaquensis
The E.plicatum has dwarf golden yellow star-like flowers which open in the afternoon in autumn and early winter.
With the E.namaquensis the flowers appear before the leaves, and while open, both have a very strong perfume, noticeable all over the nursery.

Bill, those Empodium species are very attractive. The first one, Empodium plicatum, caught my eye as it looks very much some of the South American Hypoxis species I once grew.  Looked it up, and indeed the genus Empodium is a member of the Hypoxidaceae.  Interesting that the flowers are so strongly scented, as none of the Hypoxis species I grew had scented flowers.  Thanks for showing this distinctive genus.

Glad to meet up with Pachystegia rufa, never saw that species in bloom before.  Years ago, the dwarf form of Pachystegia insignis (var. minor, or 'Minor') was popular and I grew it for a few years, although it never flowered, but at least the foliage is most attractive.  It was not a hardy plant here, but one that people grew in greenhouses or bright windowsill.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:59:50 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal