We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus March 2010  (Read 86588 times)

jppreaux

Re: Galanthus March 2010
« Reply #315 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20:16 AM »
Some photos taken at the end of February for "Ecusson d'Or" and "Fuzz", at the moment for "Elfin"...

jppreaux

« Reply #316 on: March 17, 2010, 07:22:59 AM »
Many thanks John ! The same if one day you visit Normandy.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »
Home early from work.  A couple of quick snaps.

1 - 'South Hayes'

2 - 'Fieldgate Forte'

Fieldgate Forte is beautiful, another addition to my very long green tip wants list.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #318 on: March 17, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Hello to everyone, i did plant the rest of the small stock i got from my colleage just to check if they are allright. 95 % were exactly the same, 5 % a bit different.If Green Brush doesn't look good next year i send new ones!

Thank you for the clarification Gerard.  Here's hoping :)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »
Hi JP,

'Marin' certainly looks very good, lovely puckering on the outer segments.

Your 'Elfin' seems very well behaved - we had a brief discussion on its habit lately, how it holds its flower upright initially and how it hangs as the flower matures.

'Fuzz' is a funny one.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #320 on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
Sheila's Brush?? Is that a particularly spiky snowdrop?

Gail - Now how many galanthophiles have been searching the internet to find G. Sheila's Brush?   :D

Sheila's Brush is a legendary annual storm that always seems to strike St. John's, Newfoundland on St. Patrick's Day.  Usually we can count on some precipitation from it.

johnw
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:39:40 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #321 on: March 17, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »
There are so many beautiful green ones in this thread. The only greenish one I have is 'Greenish' and it is still quite slow to get going. I have one flower this year.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
Below are a few more 'greens' for Anthony's delectation, although my example of 'Pat Mason' only just makes it!

'Greenfinch' is slowly opening up and I prefer it in this state as to when it is fully open. I acquired 'Fiona Mackenzie' last year and is only just opening up. It looks very nice and hopefully it will prove to be robust.

SA0901 (shown as re-size Greatorex) is something I found when John Finch, Brian Ellis and I visited Greatorex's garden last year. I saw that John posted a picture of his bulb some time ago but mine is only just at the point where it is worth photographing now with me.

Kildare certainly qualifies as a 'green' and this has multiplied quite well with me after receiving a non-flowering bulb 2 years ago.

Last of my 'greens' for the moment is 'Big Boy'. It has nicely understated green tips which is something you can't say about the rest of the flower. It is huge and very impressive now that it is full flower.

I have also included a fine un-named flower from Richard at Benington Lordship. Although it doesn't have any green outers I include it here to show Richard that I haven't killed it since he was kind enough to let me have a bulb laste year  ;D

Lastly is a photograph of another find of mine. I posted a photograph of the flower in the early stages of development already this month and the flowers have continued to expand nicely.

David
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:31:41 PM by David Quinton »
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
David

Unless I have missed it, there is no picture of SA0901  ???
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
SA0901 is something I found when John Finch, Brian Ellis and I visited Greatorex's garden last year. I saw that John posted a picture of his bulb some time ago but mine is only just at the point where it is worth photographing now with me.

I suspect the pix have got out of synch and that this one..
"re-size Greatorex" .... is the missing SAO901, since it is described as  coming from Greatorex ..... :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
I have also included a fine un-named flower from Richard at Benington Lordship. Although it doesn't have any green outers I include it here to show Richard that I haven't killed it since he was kind enough to let me have a bulb laste year  

very healthy  ;) looks lovely in a clump, it might have a name, soon...

you might also be pleased to hear your twin scale teaching skills had me chopping up a lot of bulbs last summer & the result is 400+ very healthy little plants this year  :)

David Quinton

« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
David

Unless I have missed it, there is no picture of SA0901  ???

It is there but I have stupidly labelled it as re-sized Greatorex. Thanks for noticing  ;)

David

David Quinton

« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2010, 05:07:32 PM »
you might also be pleased to hear your twin scale teaching skills had me chopping up a lot of bulbs last summer & the result is 400+ very healthy little plants this year  :)

Richard, I'm pleased to hear that I have helped out. Only 2 to 3 years to wait now before they flower!

The Diggories are doing well and one has flowered. The others were attacked by the pheasants and so no flowers this year.

David

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #328 on: March 17, 2010, 06:39:25 PM »
Back to Fullarton woods today in 15c sunshine - Spring at last?  All the flowers were open and were a marvellous sight.  We found several clumps of double-flowered varieties but have no idea what they are called. They were about 120mms. high.   Excuse the pictures as they were taken with my little Coolpix and I had to get into contortions to get low enough to take them.  Even then, I could not see the screen and had to guess. Suggestions as to name would be appreciated.  I would have thought double-flowered Nivalis if there is such a thing.  It makes me wonder what else there may be in there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:52:28 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #329 on: March 17, 2010, 06:57:08 PM »
Well the flower of the doubles looks like nivalis flore pleno and I think the leaves also, though that is harder to tell.  Just don't ask me what I think of them!
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal