We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2010 Northern Hemisphere  (Read 35263 times)

angie

Re: March 2010 Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
Hans, lovely pictures of your plants, they look so happy in the sun. Today I cant see much its pea soup here ( fog ) so I am happily sitting at the computer catching up with all these delightful images, its great.. coffee and a large slice of chocolate cake at my side;D.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
Thank you Angie  8)

that was my idea to give all this poor people in Scotland a little fun and some impression

here today 22° ... 8)
T -shirt + shorts + bare foot ;D
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
Also does anyone know if this Adonis is A.amurensis?
Thanks, Lesley.

I'd say it is Simon, both leaf and flower look right.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
One in flower today:

Cardamine glanduligera

Nice one Wim.  It looks similar to C. pentaphylla (http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4771.msg128674#msg128674) but more delicate with 3-part leaves instead of 5-part leaves on pentaphylla.  Where does C. glanduligera come from? The genus Cardamine is one that deserves more notice, every time I encounter a species, they are such choice woodlanders.

Like Mark Wim, I liked your Cardamine glanduligera.  I've actually just bought a plant of this species and was wondering where to put it.  Mark suggested that it looks similar to C. pentaphylla but in my garden at least pentaphylla is a very well-mannered species that forms neat clumps.  I have a suspicion that in growth habit C. glanduligera will more closely resemble C. quinquefolia - a lovely plant but not something to allow in the garden if you like to keep some semblance of control.  I don't mind it spreading and it dies away quickly after flowering so doesn't bother other plants but I do think in another 10 years or so it will have covered our acre and be making inroads into the farmer's field!

First picture shows C. glanduligera in pot compared to C. quinquefolia which is just starting to flower here.  The glanduligera is a deeper colour, more like honesty (Lunaria annua) Second pic is of quinquefolia making it's escape from another bed.  C. pentaphylla is not open yet (and rabbits have been digging my best clump) I've also got a couple of other later flowering sp.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »
Thank you Angie  8)

that was my idea to give all this poor people in Scotland a little fun and some impression

here today 22° ... 8)
T -shirt + shorts + bare foot ;D

Can I share in the fun please Hans. 11C and pouring down now. No T shirt, no shorts, no bare feet, but a cosy jumper. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
 :o :o :o

David :

Do you have still wintertime ?

my idea was always that England has a much more mild climate than we .... :-\
Maybe go in your cellar and look for a nice bottle of wine  ::)

Alberto

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
Hans, it looks like spirng arrived first in Germany than in Italy!
Alberto
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
Alberto ,

It is always importent to have good connections  ;D

look on your profile : north of Italy
look on my profile : south west Germany

...maybe thats the difference  ::)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
One in flower today:

Cardamine glanduligera

Nice one Wim.  It looks similar to C. pentaphylla (http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4771.msg128674#msg128674) but more delicate with 3-part leaves instead of 5-part leaves on pentaphylla.  Where does C. glanduligera come from? The genus Cardamine is one that deserves more notice, every time I encounter a species, they are such choice woodlanders.

Hi Mark,

C. glanduligera is a European native but I don't know where exactly in Europe you can find it in the wild.
I got it from the owner of a small and very nice nursery here in Belgium called 'Epimedium'. She loves all shade plants and especially Epimediums (Duh!! ;)). She received this plant from a friend who is known in Belgium for her garden skills (Mia Gevaert) and who collects Cardamines.
It grows in loose colonies and spreads by rhizomes.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Some in flower today:

Anemonella thalictroïdes 'Green Hurricane'

Wim, what is the source on Anemonellla thalictroides 'Green Hurricane'?  The reason I ask, there is some confusion over the green flowered cultivar names.  See the following two links showing plants on Barry Yinger's Asiatica Nursery site:
http://www.asiaticanursery.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/801/index.htm
http://www.asiaticanursery.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.viewCategory/catID/37/index.htm

The confusion historically has been between two names, 'Green Dragon' and 'Jade Feather'.  In the top link, you see the rather different looking plant, not the same as yours, with green bracts and twisting whitish staminodes.  It was a surprise to me, to see the additional name thrown into the confusion on the Asiatica nursery link... namely 'Green Hurricane'.

I recounted the story to Barry, that I saw this odd form of A. thalictroides (the green one with white twsity staminodes) in the garden of Linc Foster back in the 1970s.  I suggested to Linc that this special form should become distributed, he agreed and gave me a few pieces.... but we needed a name.  Linc came up with 'Green Dragon'.  Shortly after, within a week or so, while I was working on an article with Linc's wife Timmy Foster, editor of the American Rock Garden Society at the time, Timmy wrote back telling me that she thought the name 'Green Dragon' was too harsh, and they decided instead to call the plant 'Jade Feather'... Linc & Timmy agreed.  The plant was distributed (by me) as 'Jade Feather'.  Years later, one could encounter plants under both names, the assumption being that Linc hence gave out some plants labeled 'Green Dragon' forgetting about the 'Jade Feather' name.  So, I'm quite convinced I know the answer to the controversy, this plant is properly called 'Jade Feather', as I was party to this naming transaction.  Barry isn't so convinced yet, as he requests proof that it was first published as 'Jade Feather', but I don't have the Connecticutt and New England Chapter ARGS/NARGS newsletters going back 32 years or more, nor can I find the personal letters from Timmy Foster... the letters possibly still existing in boxes someplace in my messy basement.

Now, back to 'Green Hurricane', I do not know anything about that cultivar name... it was not a name discussed with Linc or Timmy, and is probably unrelated to 'Jade Feather' and likely is a different plant.  Your single green-flowered Anemonella is very sweet thing isn't it.  And you'll see in the second link above, there is a popular light-green double flowered form known as 'Betty Blake', it was being sold at the NARGS Eastern Winter Study Weekend last week in Devens, Massachusetts, but unfortunately I did not buy one.... trying to hold the line on expenditures while still unemployed here :(

Mark,
Thanks for pointing that out.

I bought it from an alpine plant nursery in Germany (here's the link: https://www.alpine-peters.de/shop/). At the left, you can see a link to the Anemonella's they sell.
If you look at the picture of the flower of what they are selling as 'Green Hurricane', it looks as if it is 'Jade Feather' and if you click on the picture, you get a bigger picture of something that looks like a different plant (?). Maybe the staminoids get longer as the flower matures and it is 'Jade Feather' after all? What do you think?

I have 'Betty Blake' also, but she's just popping up from under the soil.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2010, 03:27:05 PM »
Like Mark Wim, I liked your Cardamine glanduligera.  I've actually just bought a plant of this species and was wondering where to put it.  Mark suggested that it looks similar to C. pentaphylla but in my garden at least pentaphylla is a very well-mannered species that forms neat clumps.  I have a suspicion that in growth habit C. glanduligera will more closely resemble C. quinquefolia - a lovely plant but not something to allow in the garden if you like to keep some semblance of control.  I don't mind it spreading and it dies away quickly after flowering so doesn't bother other plants but I do think in another 10 years or so it will have covered our acre and be making inroads into the farmer's field!

First picture shows C. glanduligera in pot compared to C. quinquefolia which is just starting to flower here.  The glanduligera is a deeper colour, more like honesty (Lunaria annua) Second pic is of quinquefolia making it's escape from another bed.  C. pentaphylla is not open yet (and rabbits have been digging my best clump) I've also got a couple of other later flowering sp.

Gail,

I was a bit afraid of it's spreading power also but the nursery from where I got it has it growing in their borders, and it spreads alright but it's not really obnoxious, it leaves nice open patches for the other plants.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
Regarding those plants which have a tendency to "spread" themselves happily around a garden.... or a county or  even a whole country......I suggest we take a moment to celebrate them for their usefulness where other plants might not grow at all 8) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
:o :o :o

David :

Do you have still wintertime ?

my idea was always that England has a much more mild climate than we .... :-\
Maybe go in your cellar and look for a nice bottle of wine  ::)

I don't know what it is Hans but it certainly doesn't feel springlike and after this week I've started to rust. Now, if I had a cellar........... ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Kenneth K

« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »
A picture of Cardamine glanduligera from the Rhododendron Valley in Gothenburg Botanic Garden. It certainly is spreading. The picture was taken in early april 2008.
Kenneth Karlsson, Göteborg, Sweden

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
Two pics from yesterday -
Anemone caucasica and Primula megaseifolia
Gerd

Gerd, two beautiful species! 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal