We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2010 Northern Hemisphere  (Read 35256 times)

angie

Re: March 2010 Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »
Thank you Angie  8)

that was my idea to give all this poor people in Scotland a little fun and some impression

here today 22° ... 8)
T -shirt + shorts + bare foot ;D

Ok Hans I was enjoying my coffee and cake but the thought of 22c T.shirt & shorts weather has spoilt my day :'(

David its oil you need for rust not wine ;D
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
A picture of Cardamine glanduligera from the Rhododendron Valley in Gothenburg Botanic Garden. It certainly is spreading. The picture was taken in early april 2008.
Thanks for posting this Kenneth - it gives me an idea of what to expect!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »
A picture of Cardamine glanduligera from the Rhododendron Valley in Gothenburg Botanic Garden. It certainly is spreading. The picture was taken in early april 2008.

Good photo Kenneth, and a "telling" one as well, showing that maybe Cardamine glanduligera runs around, so beware its spreading.  Whereas, C. pentaphylla makes a tight, slowly increasing clump, it does not run at all, nor have I ever seen a seedling appear.  Mine are up, but will be another week or more before blooms.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #198 on: March 25, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »
Kenneth,

like Gail said; thanks for showing us that picture. I'll put it in place where it won't threaten to take over West-Flanders  ;)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #199 on: March 25, 2010, 05:56:25 PM »
Has anyone got Cardamine enneaphylla?  I think it is the best of the genus with charming nodding cream flowers and bronze foliage.  Sadly I lost mine - I think the spot I'd got it in was too dry for it.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

TheOnionMan

« Reply #200 on: March 25, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »

Mark,
Thanks for pointing that out.

I bought it from an alpine plant nursery in Germany (here's the link: https://www.alpine-peters.de/shop/). At the left, you can see a link to the Anemonella's they sell.
If you look at the picture of the flower of what they are selling as 'Green Hurricane', it looks as if it is 'Jade Feather' and if you click on the picture, you get a bigger picture of something that looks like a different plant (?). Maybe the staminoids get longer as the flower matures and it is 'Jade Feather' after all? What do you think?

I have 'Betty Blake' also, but she's just popping up from under the soil.

Wim, judging from the nursery photo, I'd say their Anemonella thalictroides 'Green Hurricane' and 'Jade Feather' are the same.  In their enlarged photo, and in your photo of a newly emerging plant, I don't think the staminodes have expanded yet.  Post a photo again in a couple weeks to show us what the mature flower looks like.  I still wonder where the name 'Green Hurricane' came from, and I wonder too, what was the first name under which this cultivar was published, thus the authentic name.  All I know is, the plant as first released and distributed, was indeed named 'Jade Feather'.  At any rate, enjoy the plant, it is certainly different than most A. thalictroides cultivars.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2010, 06:21:03 PM »

Mark,
Thanks for pointing that out.

I bought it from an alpine plant nursery in Germany (here's the link: https://www.alpine-peters.de/shop/). At the left, you can see a link to the Anemonella's they sell.
If you look at the picture of the flower of what they are selling as 'Green Hurricane', it looks as if it is 'Jade Feather' and if you click on the picture, you get a bigger picture of something that looks like a different plant (?). Maybe the staminoids get longer as the flower matures and it is 'Jade Feather' after all? What do you think?

I have 'Betty Blake' also, but she's just popping up from under the soil.

Wim, judging from the nursery photo, I'd say their Anemonella thalictroides 'Green Hurricane' and 'Jade Feather' are the same.  In their enlarged photo, and in your photo of a newly emerging plant, I don't think the staminodes have expanded yet.  Post a photo again in a couple weeks to show us what the mature flower looks like.  I still wonder where the name 'Green Hurricane' came from, and I wonder too, what was the first name under which this cultivar was published, thus the authentic name.  All I know is, the plant as first released and distributed, was indeed named 'Jade Feather'.  At any rate, enjoy the plant, it is certainly different than most A. thalictroides cultivars.

Thanks Mark,

I'll post a picture again when the flowers are fully developed. Anyhow, it's a very nice plant indeed.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #202 on: March 25, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
We have never seen Anemone blanda out in the open in Greece, where it always seems to be hiding under something. So when we lost one lot of them here to voles/mice, we took the hint and planted them under summat! These are dark blue ones, but look paler in the bright sunshine  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #203 on: March 25, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
We have never seen Anemone blanda out in the open in Greece, where it always seems to be hiding under something. So when we lost one lot of them here to voles/mice, we took the hint and planted them under summat!
Aha! Well, as I keep saying, there IS often a clue.... I've been plagued by Anemone blandas being eaten by mice.... so now I will also take this hint from nature via Simon and re-plant in the autumn tucked under other plants for protection.
Thanks,  Simon!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

« Reply #204 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
We have never seen Anemone blanda out in the open in Greece, where it always seems to be hiding under something. So when we lost one lot of them here to voles/mice, we took the hint and planted them under summat! These are dark blue ones, but look paler in the bright sunshine  ;)

Simon, I like all your plant combinations, like crocus intermingled with this or that groundcover, and here, anemones commingling.  Can you tell me about your Onosma, I'm a borag fan and like to know what species it is... do you have a pic of the plant in flower?
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #205 on: March 25, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »

Thanks Mark,

I'll post a picture again when the flowers are fully developed. Anyhow, it's a very nice plant indeed.

Wim, another wrinkle in the schizophrenic identity of Anemonella thalictroides 'Jade Feather'.  I checked my plant today, and on the label I added the names of the other alternative cultivar names, and I had forgotten that I bought this one 'Just Precious'!  So at last count, the plant that should be 'Jade Feather' can also be found under 'Green Hurricane', 'Green Dragon', and 'Just Precious'  ::)

You'll see in my photograph one of the problems, the tiny tubers like to pull themselves clear of the soil, easy snacks for squirrels and chipmunks.  My plant is fairly old, but still a wisp of a plant, because of the constant predation.  I have a friend that grows swathes of Anemonella, but she has lots of cats that patrol the garden and nursery beds.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »

Thanks Mark,

Wim, another wrinkle in the schizophrenic identity of Anemonella thalictroides 'Jade Feather'.  I checked my plant today, and on the label I added the names of the other alternative cultivar names, and I had forgotten that I bought this one 'Just Precious'!  So at last count, the plant that should be 'Jade Feather' can also be found under 'Green Hurricane', 'Green Dragon', and 'Just Precious'  ::)

You'll see in my photograph one of the problems, the tiny tubers like to pull themselves clear of the soil, easy snacks for squirrels and chipmunks.  My plant is fairly old, but still a wisp of a plant, because of the constant predation.  I have a friend that grows swathes of Anemonella, but she has lots of cats that patrol the garden and nursery beds.

4 different names for the same plant, strange. Someone must be thinking they can make more money by selling the same plant under a different name.

No squirrels in my garden, and certainly no chipmunks in Europe :) But I've got problems enough with voles and mice  >:( Thus far they only attack yellow flowering Crocusses. I hope they won't get a taste for Anemonella.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
Corydalis malkensis
Corydalis Beth Evans & malkensis
Primula marginata
Townsendia parryi
Asphodelus acaulis
Will have to delve under the primula, there must be a label somewhere.

Mike
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »
Hi all!

The spring came already in Ukraine too! Here you'll find some pics of Colchicums, Merenderas and Juno from culture in SE Ukraine!
C. kesselringii YETTI
M. trigyna
M. sobolifera
C. kesselringii Snow of Highland
M. robusta
C. kesselringii Purple Star
C. kesselringii My Choice
C. munzurense
M. mirzoevae
C. luteum Minion
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
and more...
M. mirzoevae
C. hirsutum
C. luteum Golden Elf
C. luteum Minion
J. rosenbachiana f. 1
J. rosenbachiana f. 2
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal