We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mt Field National Park, Tasmania  (Read 3623 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Mt Field National Park, Tasmania
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
I had no thought of bush walking when I planned a trip to Tasmania and was very happy with the small taste at Mt Wellington, but having enjoyed that, Marcus Harvey said "you must go to Mt Field. We'll do that on Sunday." When Marcus makes a plan, it happens. It's not that he's a bully, far from it, but he talks and talks with never a chance for anyone else to get a word in edgeways so that when he starts on a project, it's all in place and ready to go before he STOPS talking. So we went to Mt Field National Park on Sunday.

The first thing that happened was that I met one of my Farmers' Market stall holders. I went to the loo before we set off up the mountain and almost walked into the arms of a stall holder who had left the market a year before, to try for a job in Australia. I had no idea of where she was living or what she was doing, so it was the classic double take, when I saw her, said "hello Helena" and then it hit me. Much hugging and laughter and many messages to take back with me.

There's a 40 minute drive up the hill then a very long and quite stiff walk to Tarn Shelf, as far as we went that day. For the first time in a full week the weather forcast was not too good but in the event, the day was perfect as all had been, sun but not TOO hot, not a breath of wind and bluest of blue skies.

One advantage of a fellow plant addict as driver, is that when anyone squeaks or shouts, the car immediately stops and we all pile out to look at the plants on the road side.

The first pic is a view from the road, followed by one of Don Schofield my fellow traveller, Susan Jarrick, Marcus' girlfriend (creator of exquisite botanical paintings) and Marcus Harvey, bulb grower extraordinaire.

18265-0

18267-1

Gaultheria hispida is a gorgeous thing, with big, plump fruit which are edible though bland. I'm trying a few seeds

18269-2

A great treasure on the roadside and climbing up into the trees, is Prionotes cerinthoides, from the Epacrideaceae family. It clings as it goes and can go underneath loose bark, to emerge further up. It isn't in my little book of Tasmanian wild flowers but the RHS Dictionary (1956 Ed.) says it should have the same conditions as Philesia. I believe Marcus has sent seed to Jim Archibald who has listed it recently.

18271-3

18273-4

18275-5

I was intrigued by this small tree with what appeared to be tiny red Christmas trees hanging from it. They are the seed heads of Pittosporum bicolor. When picked, the little bunch disintegrates into a collection of separate, bright red seeds. It is listed in our Biosecurity Index so I was able to bring a few home to sew.

18277-6

18279-7

And this was a truly stunning plant, quite unknown to me before. We saw many on Mt Wellington and very few on Mt Field but this on Mt Field was by far the best specimen. It is Bellendena montana.

18281-8

18283-9

These are the fruiting heads. The flowers are white or pinkish and very pretty, according to my little book but the seed heads are magnificent. The almost ripe seed can be seen as a shadow in each little red pouch.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paddy Tobin

Re: Mt Field National Park, Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »
Oh Lesley,

You are making us crave for those far off hills again. What a wonderful place to visit.

Isn't that Bellendena montana extraordinary! It has the appearance of a azalea almost and these are the seedpods. Amazing!

On the other hand, Gaulteria is one of those plants I absolutely loath. A bit like Dr. Fell - the reason why I cannot tell.

Many thanks, Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:10:16 AM »
I'm surprised about Gaultheria Paddy. I love them all. I saw several different species in Australia, with black, white, purple, pink, red or yellow fruits.

There are many little lakes in the area and this one was right beside the path upwards.

18447-0

Another interesting plant is Richea. I think it is an entirely Australian genus with species of low, compact shrubs or taller, like this small, tree-like species, not unlike our own native cabbage tree, Cordyline
australis. This is perhaps Richea pandanifolia?

18449-1

18451-2

18453-3

18455-4

We pondered this little plant for some time. Was it a buttercup? or a potentilla? a geum maybe? Don came closest with something in Rosaceae, and it turned out, after we'd consulted the book, to be Rubus gunnianus, a little blackberry relative. Neither flowers nor fruit unfortunately. The later are red and edible.

18457-5

Cyathodes straminea was present in many slightly different colours in the fruit.

18459-6

18461-7

Not sure what this eucalyptus species is. There were several, and weather must have shaped the trunks to some extent. There were amazing shapes with twisted trunks.

18463-8

18465-9
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:15:59 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »
On a wide, flat area called Tarn Shelf, these lovely tarns are a drawcard to walkers.

18467-0

18469-1

18471-2

This flowerhead is, I think, on a Richea, but could possibly be on the Astelia. Not sure.

18473-3

Beside the tarns (the yellow patch in pic 2 above) is a stand of a low-growing Nothofagus species, N. gunnii. It is deciduous and goes a lovely yellow in the autumn. It was perhaps the main reason that Marcus was determined we should visit this area. The colour was just starting though, we missed it at its best.

18475-4

18477-5

18479-6

By this time, I was thoroughly weary and in fact, fell twice, on to rocks, then onto gravel, as my legs were so tired I couldn't lift my feet easily. The others were great though and didn't hurry me, and let me have rest stops, and always were looking to make sure I was OK. Although I fell forwards and had some mighty bruises for the following week, I didn't even break any skin and could easily have smashed my face and my glasses but did neither, thank goodness.

18481-7

Just two final pics from the area.

I liked this striped trunk where the outer bark had stripped off. there were many like this.

18483-8

And what could well have been some ultra modern floral arrangement, a super lichen on a trunk, Richea behind.

18485-9
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:56:10 AM by Lesley Cox »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
Truly beautiful images Lesley....many thanks YET again.....

P.S. A list is on it's way by private e-mail....
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »
We didn't see this delightful little matting plant, Pernettya (Gaultheria)tasmanica but next day we visited a native plant nursery near Hobart. This is a plant I've wanted for some time. I bought a red and a yellow fruited form which Don will grow but he'll send me the seed when it ripens. It's on our "permitted" list. I also bought a tiny Coprosma with rich blue fruit. The plant is no higher and just as compact as Calceolaria tenella, the fruit quite stemless and nestled among the minute foliage.

18487-0

18489-1

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Little erics... don't you just love 'em? The trees are very interesting to me , too, such shapes and colours. Really enjoying your holiday, Lesley! Thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
Lesley, a very beautiful part of the world. Thanks for sharing it with us.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 08:12:35 AM »
At the risk of repeating myself : thanks again for showing Lesley.
To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal