We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 117886 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Galanthus: January 2008
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:43 PM »
However pretty an individual flower may be, there is something magical about massed ranks of flowers that it would take a hard heart to resist  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2008, 06:16:28 PM »
Plenty of these places in the north of England and Scotland

Someone sent me an email today asking if I would send one of each of my photos for their own database the cheek.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »
I was introduced to staganopara three years ago when visiting the the garden of one of the ''elite'' in the snowdrop world and I came away without buying anything after observing the lack of hygiene by the owner when lifting his plants for sale.The garden was badly infected in several places and I was even offered a very desirable variety from an infected batch providing that I was prepared to take the risk.After having seen the same fork used to lift others and the same bucket of water used to wash the soil off everything I had no option but to decline.The worrying thing is that I was told that this garden was one of the sources of supply to one of our very reputable suppliers so I am not surprised at the increasing incidence of this nasty disease.I did find it in a clump of Ketton in my own garden and immediately lifted the clump separating tne worst for burning and soaking the remainder in a solution of Bavastin for 24hrs.before replanting in an isolated position in my veg.garden and away from any other snowdrops.I am pleased to say that they are now appear to be healthy having been rturned to the snowdrop area last year.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
Well, haven't we all been busy.  8 days and 17 pages in this thread alone.  Amazing!!  Giving us this specific area for snowies has lead the white fever to advance in great leaps and bounds.

And even 15 pages later I am STILL crying over the image of the thousands of snowdrops at the end of the village, as was mentioned earlier.  And some of the elwesii you guys can pick up at the local shops.  They're better than 90% of the named ones I have here!! <sob!>

Yes, I'm jealous!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
....And some of the elwesii you guys can pick up at the local shops.  They're better than 90% of the named ones I have here!! <sob!>

Of course, the other way to look at this is to wonder if we're not all crazy here; paying huge prices for named snowdrops when you can find some equally good ones down the local garden centre!
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »
I actually bought a pot with four bulbs labelled "Galanthus nivalis lutescens" at a garden centre (albeit Dougal Philp's) for £4 a few years ago. It is a superb yellow 'Sandersii' and clumps up really well.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
If you can bear with me here are some photos from a members garden this afternoon.  I know one will get Anthony excited...a nice little clump of Rosemary Burnham.  Also to go with my previous post of Godfrey Owen here is his wife Margaret.  I was particularly pleased to see a couple of locally found/named snowdrops, Yaffle and Norfolk Blonde (found in Rosie Steele's garden and named for her), it's not fully out but how full of promise is this photo...and one from Suffolk - Naughton, quite a substantial flower.  One of the nicest I saw was an elwesii poculiformis.  Best of all it was a warm afternoon, dry and with just a little (but too much for many photos) wind.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2008, 10:38:59 PM »
I should emphasize that these are not from our garden!  There were a great number of quite different snowdrops and I was lucky enough to be given one which originated from Ray Cobb - aren't gardeners wonderful people?  One which is a seedling with Trym origins is Megan, and I was quite taken with the delicate lines on Jessica.  Wasp was more mature than mine and a bit bigger and there was also Fieldgate Prelude and Fenstead End.  Just to prove I'm not entirely snowdrop doodelally a lovely Daphne. the bulbhouse and a view of leucojums, snowdrops, garrya and hellebores.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:41:18 PM by Brian Ellis »

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »
We are probably used to seeing unusual snowdrops in little clumps surrounded by bare earth.  Here is a picture of some still in situ where I originally found them in 2004.  I do also have some in my garden; taken with the permission of the land-owner.  They appear very similar to the surrounding nivalis snowdrops except:
a) The leaves are bright green rather than the normal glaucous green.
b) There is a tiny green mark on the end of the outer petals (you probably won't be able to see this as I have had to reduce the size of the image).
c) They also flower a bit earlier than the surrounding 'drops, making them much more conspicuous now than they would be in a week or two.

Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »
They also flower a bit earlier than the surrounding 'drops, making them much more conspicuous now than they would be in a week or two.

That creates a really nice effect Alan.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »
That creates a really nice effect Alan.

You have mother nature to thank for it.
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2008, 05:01:54 AM »
Nice set of photos Brian.  That Norfolk Blond looks very floriferous and has now been added to my wants list! (Yaffle has been on my wants list for a while already!). 

A very good collection you visited.  Was it a snowdrop lunch?

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:57 AM »
Can anybody help me identify what was wrong with these leaves?  They are from a little clump of 'colossus' and fortunately these are the only leaves affected.  I sprayed them with my sulphur in fatty acids fungicide about a week ago (so you may see a pale residue) then decided to remove them completely.  Basically, the leaves seem to be curling up and dieing back from the tip.  I can see no problem with the flowers.
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »
Stagnospora?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2008, 10:41:45 AM »
I don't like the look of them Alan, but I am no expert :-\  If they were mine I would have the clump up and inspect the bulbs, then put them in an infirmary pot and plant something else in fresh soil where they were -not a snowdrop. If anything was going on with the bulb I would try chipping it to see if it could be saved.  You cannot be too careful and don't want it to spread to the others in the clump...I get very jittery at things like this as you can tell!in fresh

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal