We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 116888 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Galanthus: January 2008
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »
Rob, Narcissus, Galanthus and all other Amarylids can get infected with Stag. Amaryllis are the worst and as far as I know they are all infected.

Tulip Fire according to the 'net is caused by Botrytis tulipae. Botrytis will attack snowdrops emerging through composted bark if it is applied after the snowdrops emerge

It's a different form of botrytis that attacks snowdrops - Botrytis galanthina, commonly known as grey mould, so snowdrops can't catch botrytis from tulips. But, as Mark points out, narcissus can pass stagonospora to snowdrops and vice versa.

I've never had any problems with botrytis in my exposed windy garden. It tends to be more of a problem where the air is still and damp - e.g. low-lying damp gardens with plenty of shelter. If there's one thing I don't have on my wind-battered hillside it's shelter! You may also get it on bulbs under glass if not well ventilated, especially in wet, mild weather.

When you do get botrytis, you'll see it as a mass of grey-white fluffy mould growth around the base of the leaves where they emerge from the soil.

But I do seem to be getting quite a bit of what looks like stagonospora, probably due to last year's extremely wet summer here in  the West of England. Year-round wet soil seems to bring it on - Matt Bishop lost most of his collection when he put his bulbs temporarily in a patch where the soil was wet in summer, during a move.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
I was going to suggest Modern Art, above, Mark due to the markings - but it look a little plump for that!...

Ross Kemp indeed, I wish - it is usualy Steve Macfadden that I am accused of (ie. the fat one!)

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
Was it a snowdrop lunch?
  Well I suppose it was John, we had lunch, we looked at snowdrops ;D ;D

Here is another that I am very impressed with, a large poculiform elwesii, Wow

In case anyone else, besides me, doesn't understand the term 'poculiform' this may save them looking it up!

http://www.biology.lsu.edu/heydrjay/ThomasSay/terms.html#P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »
It's not there David. Maggi edit: Yes it is : under proculiform syn. poculiform

A poculiform snowdrop is one where the inner petals are the same, or almost, shape and length as the other petals. They are usually all white or can carry green tips.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:07:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »
It's not there David.

A poculiform snowdrop is one where the inner petals are the same, or almost, shape and length as the other petals. They are usually all white or can carry green tips.

It is Mark but spelt as 'proculiform' with 'poculiform' in ]]
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
Hi David

we are meant to be going to Colesbourne on Saturday too - as long as there are no floods! - and my other half doesn't sucumb to the lurgy too!

Say hi if we all get there.  I will not be able to spot you from your profile - but we are easily spotted, the fat bald blokes in camouflage!   ;D

John

Hi John,

I will definitely say hello should we see you at the weekend. I really should get my profile sorted but I just haven't got round to it yet.

I'll probably have a grey bobble hat type thing on my head (without the bobble) and be carrying a black camera rucksack. Apart from that I'm not sure what I'll be wearing on the day  :)

I hope to see you on Saturday.

David
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2008, 08:11:32 PM »
I'll probably have a grey bobble hat type thing on my head (without the bobble) and be carrying a black camera rucksack. Apart from that I'm not sure what I'll be wearing on the day 
we are easily spotted, the fat bald blokes in camouflage!
Oh good grief..... David, with a bobbleless hat and a wife with the flu and the Mitchell brothers in camouflage...... You galanthophiles are in danger of looking like a bunch of overgrown trainspotters!

The Croconuts are more stylish, I'm sure  :-X

Nice 'drops All, by the way   ::)     Can't believe I said that :-[
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:13:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
He forgot about wet knees from praying to all things white with bits of green

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »

In case anyone else, besides me, doesn't understand the term 'poculiform' ...

I always thought it was a technical/biologocal term meaning the snowdrops looked poculiar .... or 'peculiar', as it is more commonly spelt!
Almost in Scotland.

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »

Oh good grief..... David, with a bobbleless hat and a wife with the flu and the Mitchell brothers in camouflage...... You galanthophiles are in danger of looking like a bunch of overgrown trainspotters!

So Maggie, should I leave the binoculars, notepad, sandwiches wrapped in greasproof paper and flask at home ::)
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »
Once again I have to disagree with Mark and his categorical statement that snowdrops will get botrytis if mulched with composted bark.This from my experience over 30yrs.is just not true.I have been applying it to my extensive snowdrop plantings by the ton and more often than not after they have started to re-emerge.I use it mainly to show off the snowdrops and cover the last remnants 0f debris and I have had no experience of boytritis.It is an excellent mulch and many of the snowdrop ''intelligencia''who have seen my collection would vouch for it's good health.Please,if you want to be so catergorical be sure of your facts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:13:04 PM by johngennard »
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »
should I leave the binoculars, notepad, sandwiches wrapped in greasproof paper and flask at home

Strictly speaking, I think you should, David.... but since Ian and I always carry similar kit when we go out... I may not be the best person to advise on these matters ::)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »
I have to agree with John Gennard on the Bark question... we too have used copius quantities of bark over the years and never had any botrytis problems in the garden.... it was a very useful mulch and the only reason we don't use it nowadays is because we are self-sufficient in shredded hedge ets to use in place of bark.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »
Wow, love those pics of Diggory and Rosemary Burnham (spelling?  2 pages back and I've forgotten.  ::)).  Both really lovely!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »
John I go to two gardens where bark is widely used as a mulch and often spread after emergence and I see mould where the bark lies against the snowdrops. Doesnt the sheath protect the leaves and flower stems as they push through the ground but the leaves cant take the permanent moisture beside them once free. I always add mulch in the autumn before any noses will be poking through. Maybe if the mulch is added before the sheath opens it is able to extend beyond the top of the mulch

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal