We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 119069 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Don't look - Galanthus horror stories!
« Reply #525 on: February 07, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
i will cut a bulb but it isn't good they are pretty mushy.
John i had intended to sink them in a plunge but my sister phoned me quite late at night to say she was 10 minutes away and we had not planned to go to hers for christmas for another couple of days,so it totally got put to the back of my mind.
Steve it is because of the freezing your right,they really could have done with being in bigger pots.
And so the reason why i feel so stupid,because of 5minutes of not thinking cost me my growing pride and joy and the other bad part is some of them were gifts,which in my eyes makes them quite precious which it makes it even a more bitter pill to swallow.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #526 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »
mush could be narcissus fly poop
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
I too have found one bulb that turned to a sort of mush - the top and the bottom were rotten and the middle seemed intact but spongy rather than firm and incredibly foul smelling.  I'm experimenting with Citrox disinfectant and I left the clean middle in a bowl of Citrox for over 24 hours but this did little if anything to diminish the smell.  And yet two other bulbs in the same pot showed no signs of harm.  I generally use large 3 litre pots and have not had any problems keeping bulbs in these pots in previous years (the "horror stories" are about bulbs that were in the ground).  I cut the bulb in half, there were no grubs in the middle but the scales seemed to have de-laminated, a bit like an onion.  I have not been able to work out what was wrong about this particular bulb but I suppose I should be thankful that the majority did not suffer this fate.           
Almost in Scotland.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:45 PM »
this is one cut and like Alans one stinks ???But all my ones that have rotted stunk.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

steve owen

« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »
I am soooooo fed up with lattice pots. And mixing compost. And making fungicide. But all the new drops from the Gala and Loughborough are safely in quarantine on the staging. And 23 of the varieties showing ill-health have been exhumed and given the Alex Ferguson treatment. Including a big patch of 80+ Spindlestone Surprise whose lush foliage and flowers gave no hint that below decks bad things were happening.   
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #530 on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »
80+ Spindlestone Surprise whose lush foliage and flowers gave no hint that below decks bad things were happening.   

They will make some dosh on Ebay

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #531 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »
Had a very draining day - emotionally draining.  I dug up all the bulbs that were not showing flowers to inspect the bulbs.  Over half seemed OK.  The rest had a variety of problems.....and it was all the expensive ones naturally.

I brought them indoors and washed them off.  By now it was too late to photograph them and the flash was too bright to get any details.  I will post photos tomorrow.  Here is what I found:-

1. Puck had top growth until I tried to dig it up and then the foliage came away in my hand - I could not find the bulb and took all surrounding soil to my potting shed and sifted throught it - no bulb.  I am gutted.  :'(  Wish I had dug it up quicker.
2. Diggory - mushy bulb with few roots trying to survive and a hard core on the bottom.  I have cleaned away all the gunk and washed it off.  It has some strong growth but just a bottom - the sides of the bulb have turned to mush.
3. Irish Green - top growth and no roots at all - as if they have been eaten
4. Boyd's Double - bulbs badly eaten away from the sides - still has basal plate
5. Reginae olgae ssp reginae olgae - totally disappeared from the ground
6. Green Man - slightly eaten away but still has roots.  This is the best of the lot
7. Robin Hood - one surviving bulb the rest rotted or eaten from sight leaving just foliage poking up but no bulb under the soil

I have some Bio Supercarb Systemic Fungicide with carbendazim (from years ago).  Should I mix a solution?  It says one sachet to 1/2 gallon but I don't need that much.  How long do I soak them for?  Then what do I pot the bulbs into - sharp sand??  I am desperate to save them if I can.  I will take photos in the morning and see if anyone on here can give me some advice....please? 

I have more to dig and inspect tomorrow - dread it.  I suspect my soil is holding too much water and not draining but that does not account for eaten bulbs and lack of roots?  All my cheaper and easier to obtain bulbs are simply thriving......in another bed.
many thanks
A very stressed Jennie with a serious headache :)
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #532 on: February 18, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
80+ Spindlestone Surprise whose lush foliage and flowers gave no hint that below decks bad things were happening.   

They will make some dosh on Ebay

I wouldn't think they were going on eBay if there was a problem below decks Mark!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #533 on: February 18, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
Jenny were all these from the same area or bed?  If it is not drainage it could be something like swift moth.  Have a look at chapter 10 of the monograph if you have it?

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #534 on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:25 PM »
Jenny were all these from the same area or bed?  If it is not drainage it could be something like swift moth.  Have a look at chapter 10 of the monograph if you have it?

Brian, 4 of them were from the same bed and I did see lots of wiggly brown things in the soil when I dug up Green Man - I mean lots of them!  Made me feel sick.  They were all planted in front of a huge dogswood bed which I thought would be perfect for them.  Now I am worried that the rest (about 20 cultivars) could be at risk.

I am about to look at the monograph. 
thanks
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #535 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
They don't move fast but lots ot brown-ish small grubs could be the small Narcissus fly. They lay multiple eggs at a bulb that is already dying

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #536 on: February 19, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
I did see lots of wiggly brown things in the soil

:-\ ??? :( :'(

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #537 on: February 19, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »
Guys and girls you really have to get in to a routine of drenching your plants with a pesticide. Jennie I was in the same position as you when I was new to snowdrops and I too had to learn the hardy way.

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #538 on: February 19, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »
Mark - please tell me more about a drench.  The thing is I am so careful what I water into the soil as I do not want to kill off worms and ground beetles - I could not live with myself.  I love worms  :)  I stopped using Miracle Grow in the ground as I read that it burns worms.  I have to do something though as I could not sleep last night imagining all the other drops in that bed succumbing to the same fate.  I have a feeling it is swift moth grubs.  I do use a trade prevention for vine weevil in my soil - I have no great love for them  :)

Would lattice pots be my answer?  I spent hours last night reading old posts here on the forum trying to find answers.  Hence, hardly any sleep
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #539 on: February 19, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
Well, here they are.  Not the clearest of photos as I had to take them in the kitchen as it is raining AGAIN

1. GREEN MAN - the best of the lot
2. GREEN MAN - one is very eaten away :-X
3. IRISH GREEN - no roots
4. IRISH GREEN again
5. DIGGORY - this is after I have taken away all the mush
6. DIGGORY - with a hard pad on the bottom with a few roots
7. BOYD'S DOUBLE - very eaten away, few tiny roots.  Taken next to a 1p piece

They are drying up a bit now so I am going to pot them in small pots of just sharp sand for today and hope that someone can tell me what I can do???? ???
I have not used the fungicide but will if it is necessary.

I know they are different bulbs entirely, but the other year I grew some Alliums in pots and they turned to mush.  I put them in the ground to give them a chance and the next year they all came back and flowered and are now multiplying like crazy although I lost a few.

many thanks
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal