We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 117904 times)

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
Re: Don't look - Galanthus horror stories!
« Reply #615 on: February 28, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
......today I found a collapsed stem with botrytis on Cicely Hall - I instantly operated and soaked in fungicide.  The bulb felt a bit soft but all I can do is hope.  I think I have had the full set now but at least I will be able to identify any future problems - hopefully.  Feeling pretty cheesed off with it all and cannot wait for snowdrop season to be over for this year!

Although it is raining constantly I went around and drenched everything with fungicide.  I have learned it will not cure but it may stall things until the rain stops and I can have a dig around.

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »
No rain in this garden for  long time.

Jennie what about some raised beds in your garden?

Snowdrops should be soft at this time of year because all food stotage had gone in to the flowers and leaves
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
No rain in this garden for  long time

I wish we could say the same Mark,our ground is really wet here
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #618 on: February 28, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »
No rain in this garden for  long time.

Jennie what about some raised beds in your garden?

Snowdrops should be soft at this time of year because all food stotage had gone in to the flowers and leaves

Thank goodness they should be soft - Cicely Hall may survive then.  I think raised beds may be the answer for new stock.  I have been building beds around the base of trees in my woodlandy area for 3 years in order to grow snowdrops.  I was so looking forward to planting them among other woodland bits - which I will in time.  I just need to keep my stock alive and bulk them up - the losses will not be so bad when I have more than one bulb of this and one bulb of that......
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #619 on: March 01, 2011, 08:38:54 AM »
There are a number of references in this thread to a fungicide or, even better, a "good fungicide". Since the number of fungicides available to the amateur has been drastically reduced in recent times I would be interested to know what product(s)  forumists have in mind (especially with regard to treatment of  'Stag', since Carbendazim is no longer available).   

A lot of forumists seem to be using stocks of fungicides that are no longer commercially available, although this is not sustainable in the long term.

This year there has been some interest in the product Citrox, which is a disinfectant that is generally plant-safe.  This might well have some fungicidal action, at least as a contact fungicide, and I have soaked growing bulbs for over 24 hours in Citrox without them, so far, showing any subsequent signs of harm.

Also this year there has been a lot of interest in the product Trichoderma as a means of combating Botrytis and other fungi, although we don't know if it will have any beneficial effect for Stagonospora.   
Almost in Scotland.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #620 on: March 01, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
What causes Botrytis? I know it's air bourne. I have never had it on my snowdrops

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #621 on: March 01, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
dug up the spot where my Wasp bulbs were last year & found two bulbs with no roots & weak yellow shoots that never broke the surface  :(

looked fine last year, the bulbs don't look in too bad condition and aren't rotten at all so will try chipping one & potting the other.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #622 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
There are a number of references in this thread to a fungicide or, even better, a "good fungicide". Since the number of fungicides available to the amateur has been drastically reduced in recent times I would be interested to know what product(s)  forumists have in mind (especially with regard to treatment of  'Stag', since Carbendazim is no longer available).  

A lot of forumists seem to be using stocks of fungicides that are no longer commercially available, although this is not sustainable in the long term.

This year there has been some interest in the product Citrox, which is a disinfectant that is generally plant-safe.  This might well have some fungicidal action, at least as a contact fungicide, and I have soaked growing bulbs for over 24 hours in Citrox without them, so far, showing any subsequent signs of harm.

Also this year there has been a lot of interest in the product Trichoderma as a means of combating Botrytis and other fungi, although we don't know if it will have any beneficial effect for Stagonospora.    
Alan - thanks for the response. I raised this issue  because my stock of Carbendazim is almost exhausted. I'm considering trying Viresco again; several years ago I found this effective in preventing or ameliorating fungal problems with fritillaries. I'll also have a look at Citrox.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #623 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »
No new diseases/virus or fungal infections found today - whew  :)

Peeled back the orange skin on the Robin Hood with stag and only ended up with skinny spring onion looking bulbs at the end.  They are now potted into sharp sand with a tiny bit of soil added.  It proved good practice for when I end up operating on a much rarer and valuable bulb.  My long 'dead headers' thumbnail came in very handy  :)

I am dangerously low on carbendazim fungicide now and have been making it weaker and weaker to make it last.  I will also be interested to hear what product everyone decided to use.  I thought Citrox was a lemon based disinfectant?

Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #624 on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Jennie you shouldnt dead head all your snowdrop with your thumb nail. You might spread virus. When I do it I just pull off the ovary but I usually leave them

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #625 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »
Jennie you shouldnt dead head all your snowdrop with your thumb nail. You might spread virus. When I do it I just pull off the ovary but I usually leave them

Sorry Mark - I did not make that clear.  The nail is for deadheading daylilies in the summer and general picking about at other plants.  I don't deadhead my snowdrops - but may in the future.  Thanks for the warning though.
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

ChrisD

« Reply #626 on: March 02, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
I may be able to provide a little info on Citrox as I had some preliminary discussions with a company supplying it about a year ago. This was for a work project where we were looking at alternative disinfectants. Citrox is a natural product, it is an extract of a small inedible orange, and there is good evidence of antibacterial and antifungal activity. It also seems to be completely safe, even to drink, it is used to wash fruit for instance. I have not done any work to substantiate these claims but some of the work presented was done by (for instance) university groups. I would be fairly sure it will do no harm to snowdrops but I guess only time will tell whether it does any good.

It appeals to my preference for gardening "organically" where ever possible.

I have some more detailed info at work, some of it highly technical, but if anybody is interested please drop me a PM and I will forward it.

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

kentish_lass

• Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #627 on: March 03, 2011, 01:21:28 AM »
Thanks for that info on Citrox Chris - I would love to know more about it.  I am wondering if it would be any good for deterring the Narcissus Fly - anyone have any ideas?

Is Citrox suitable for sterilising tools when dealing with different clumps of snowdrops?   Is it completely safe to water into the ground?  Will it clean the soil where stag infected snowdrops have been growing?  Does anyone know any of these answers?

I just Googled 'carbendazim' out of curiosity (and to find out why it was banned)...and to my horror found out that it kills earthworms.  The other day I drenched every snowdrop in the garden with it - I now feel terrible.  :'(   I would love to think Citrox would do the job.  In future I am only using the carbendazim to soak bulbs or use in pots.....and maybe spraying the foliage.

thanks
Jennie

Jennie in Kent, England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #628 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
Is Citrox suitable for sterilising tools when dealing with different clumps of snowdrops?

Yes

Is it completely safe to water into the ground?

The only danger I can see is that it will kill beneficial bacteria and fungi.  You won't have any of those left, given your prior use of Carbendazim.

Will it clean the soil where stag infected snowdrops have been growing? 

That's the $64,000 question.
Almost in Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #629 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
I am going to try armilatox, works on honey fungus so may have some effect ????  It also works against vine weevil so might help with narssisus fly, swift moth etc.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal