We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.  (Read 57951 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
Stunning pics! I particular like the Eranthis stellata.
Are you a professional photographer?

I do not know what to answer. :) I do not have photographer diploma. But there no any high schools here that could give it. I use mirror camera but professionals use more expensive and more complicated. I sell images and many magazines and publishers use them. But it is not my main earning. So… am I a professional photographer?  ???

Professional or not - that doesn't matter. It is obvious that you love photographing and the quality of your photographs is very high.
And the fact that you love plants too and will share your wonderfull photos with us at the forum is only our luck. Thank you very much for that!

By the way is Eranthis stellata difficult to grow?

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »
I agree very strongly with Poul. Olga's photographs are always exceptional - and there is a high standard of photography on the forum. I certainly always enjoy them.

Re anemones: does anybody grow A. bulbiferum and A. aconitifolium? I spent an hour today spraying them with weedkiller. Blasted weeds!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
It's Spring  :)
Prunus nipponica var. kurilensis 'Brilliant'

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »
One or two ordinary things looking good in the garden today, Chionodoxa - beginning to do rather too well, but lovely all the same!  At the other extreme of the size range a Fritillaria imperialis - the red ones are not going to flower again this year - any clues as to why?  They are treated as well as the yellow ones :-\

Brian,
My Chionodoxa are doing well too among Narcissus, Ornitogalum and Eranthis. This bed started with 10 Chionodoxa bulbs.
How do you feed your F. imperialis?

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »
The Lewisia tweedyi seedling always enjoys me with its unusual large flowers.

They're beautiful Rudi !  I can never get enough of them either !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »

How do you feed your F. imperialis?

Poul

Poul They get blood, fish and bone fertilizer in the Autumn, growmore in the spring and almost a mulch of pelletted chicken manure at that time too.  I know they are gross feeders, when I was a boy my father grew them on the compost heap!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »
Any recommendations on sowing Ypsilandra seed?  There's remarkably little information on the subject in the books here. 

johnw
I am afraid I have no info. The seed I have tried did not germinate. I can only assume that it is the usual woodlander problem.
A: the seed must be sown immediately B: It will wait unitil next spring until it germinates. I have not tried any seed of my own.
Sorry
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »
After some discussion and advices to me on this Forum about two years ago, I tried to plant one tuber of Trillium nivale outdoors in summer 2008. I enclose here the result of it taken in this month. In both winters it was however covered with dry leaves and a glass plate. On the other picture is my original plant which has 11 years now.
Looks good. I have tried a couple of times. They died the first winter both times. What would your minimum temperature in the winter be?
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »
I took a quick walk through part of our woods yesterday. The Hepatica have hardly started but Galanthus woronowii and Leucojum vernum seed themselves quite happily and are at their best just now.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Zdenek

• Zdenek's website
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »
After some discussion and advices to me on this Forum about two years ago, I tried to plant one tuber of Trillium nivale outdoors in summer 2008. I enclose here the result of it taken in this month. In both winters it was however covered with dry leaves and a glass plate. On the other picture is my original plant which has 11 years now.
Looks good. I have tried a couple of times. They died the first winter both times. What would your minimum temperature in the winter be?
Göte
According my notes minimal temperature was minus 18 degrees in the time around Christmas and at that time we had no snow. From  January on we had plenty of snow and minimal temp. was minus 16 degrees. My plant was however covered, as I remarked.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48:04 PM »
Another woodlander, Glaucidium palmatum
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

gote

« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »
Göte
According my notes minimal temperature was minus 18 degrees in the time around Christmas and at that time we had no snow. From  January on we had plenty of snow and minimal temp. was minus 16 degrees. My plant was however covered, as I remarked.
Thank you!
that is no worse than here. i might try a third time
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Hepatica transsylvanica is not reliably hardy here and is often cut back but the hevy snow cover seems to have been beneficial.

Really? I had the impression that you didn't have colder winters than we do. We had a minimum of -24C this winter with very little snowcover and my transylvanica has come through without any problem (just coming into flower now). I thought it was perfectly hardy.

On the other hand, it seems that I have lost all of my Eranthis this winter, so I'll have to rely on the plants reseeding.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
Hepatica transsylvanica is not reliably hardy here and is often cut back but the hevy snow cover seems to have been beneficial.

Really? I had the impression that you didn't have colder winters than we do. We had a minimum of -24C this winter with very little snowcover and my transylvanica has come through without any problem (just coming into flower now). I thought it was perfectly hardy.
Hepatica transylvanica is completely hardy here too. 
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »
Ashley,

The Glaucidium looks fabulous, very early.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal