We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum leaves  (Read 4956 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Podophyllum leaves
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »
Graham  - I am still stunned by the size of your clump of delavayi.  What are the dimensions of the clump?

Did ther pretty red seedling come from selfed seed off the clump plant(s)?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Graham Catlow

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:43:31 PM »
Graham  - I am still stunned by the size of your clump of delavayi.  What are the dimensions of the clump?

Did ther pretty red seedling come from selfed seed off the clump plant(s)?

johnw

Hi John,
I am a little surprised at your interest. I just assumed that there was nothing unusual about this except that it is just a spectacular plant in itself. I wonder if others have them growing to the same dimensions or larger.
Some history for you. I bought it maybe 7-10 years ago in a 9cm pot, probably from Edrom Nurseries but I'm not too sure about that.
Until last Autumn it had been growing in an East facing raised bed 3m x 1.5m, with full sun during the summer until about 14:30hrs. Last year I decided it was too big for this bed as it was taking up 33% of the bed and leaving little room for anything else.
It is now in a large plastic tub/pot, (the sort you buy young trees and large shrubs in). The compost is ericaceous. It still gets plenty of sun. It has always needed copious amounts of water and wilts very quickly if I forget to water it. I have never fed it.

It measures 130cm at its widest point and the largest leaf is 40cm across from tip to tip.

The seedling is from this plant. I do not have any other Podophylums for it to have crossed with. I have three other younger seedlings that are all different leaf shapes. and colour.

Many thanks for your interest and hope I have provided all the information you require.

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
I am a little surprised at your interest. I just assumed that there was nothing unusual about this except that it is just a spectacular plant in itself. I wonder if others have them growing to the same dimensions or larger.

:) This is exactly what amazes and delights me about SRGC members.... they so often grow the most fabulous plants that are the object of desire and pleasure to others yet remain blissfully unaware that there is anything extraordinary about their plants or garden and are surprised when someone expresses shock and congratulations .... it is not a question of dissembling, it is simple modesty and a VERY attractive feature of the Membership..... wonderful folks, indeed!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 05:12:50 PM »
It measures 130cm at its widest point and the largest leaf is 40cm across from tip to tip.
Graham

Maggi - Pass the smelling salts please, I'm on the floor.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Graham Catlow

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
Graham

Maggi - Pass the smelling salts please, I'm on the floor.

johnw

;D ;D ;D
Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
John,
I forgot to mention it has 35 leaves ;)

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »
Good Lord :o
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 06:45:51 PM »
Graham! For goodness sake, have a heart, some of us are of a nervous disposition! :-X

John.... I'm using the smelling salts..... you'll have to make  do with breathing into a paper bag......
 Brian.... sit down, steady, Lad!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:49:31 PM by Maggi Young »

Graham Catlow

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »
Ok enough from me.

Surely this can't be a one off there must be P. delavayi as large if not larger than this. Don't be shy forumists let us know if you can beat this one. I won't be too upset. ;)

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
I'll join the chorus of Wows as well.  Never seen the species in person, but it looks darn impressive. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »
I have what I thought were several seedling Podophylum delavayi coming up in the bed that had my large Podophylum in Grahamuntil last Autumn.
Somewhere recently I read (may have been on this forum somewhere but I can't find it), that they may send shoots up from root cuttings.
So I dug one up and sure enough it is growing from a root fragment that I must have severed when removing the parent plant last year. So not seedlings after all. I have replanted it.

Graham

Bo'ness. Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 10:47:13 PM »
Well that's wonderful, to have a method of propagation which guarantees an exact copy of a good (or huge) form. When will your Podophyllum forest be open to the public Graham? ;D And will there be a teahouse?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Graham Catlow

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »
Well that's wonderful, to have a method of propagation which guarantees an exact copy of a good (or huge) form. When will your Podophyllum forest be open to the public Graham? ;D And will there be a teahouse?

No room for a tea house Lesley, the plants take up too much room. ;)
Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »

Graham

So we'll have to bring our own cake? :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:28 AM »

Graham

So we'll have to bring our own cake? :o
I was shocked to begin with , Lesley, but it looks a lovely garden so I'm prepared to bring a flask of tea, some sandwiches and cake, too... I think Angela will drive me down there... what date is best for you, or should we wait for Graham to invite us? ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal