We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fertilizing Peonies?  (Read 1645 times)

JPB

• My plants
Fertilizing Peonies?
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:25:09 AM »
I have a number of herbaceous Paeonia species growing in pots. They are showing their leaves now. How would you suggest to feed  them? How often? What is the best NPK ratio?

Thanks,
Hans
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

JPB

• My plants
Re: Fertilizing Peonies?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »
I'll clearify my question:

A Dutch nursery man once told me that you should not fertilize paeonies (when growing in pots) in spring and summer. Instead it should be done in fall (and winter). They take up nutrients in their resting stage, not when they are growing

I wonder if this makes sense  ???

Hans

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
Peonies have annual feeder roots that die off in autumn, so I fail to see how they would be able to take up any nutrients during their resting stage..?

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
Peonies have annual feeder roots that die off in autumn, so I fail to see how they would be able to take up any nutrients during their resting stage..?

Thanks! That makes sense. I had my doubts so I never listen to this man again  >:(

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »
We've had some discussions in the Peony Society about growing peonies in pots and general opinion seems to be that it is tricky to keep them going for long but that is probably as much to do with the kind of compost used as with any fertiliser regime (although of course you do see some fantastic plants on the show benches, so some people manage...)  I feed mine (if I remember) with a tomato type feed - with the balance towards the K.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »
Gail, I suppose feeding them in spring and summer?

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
Gail, I suppose feeding them in spring and summer?
That makes more sense to me - up till late summer.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

james willis

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
After some initial success -beginner's luck I suspect- I found keeping paeonies going in pots very difficult, feeding with a tomato fertiliser.  Now I get my plants into the garden as soon as I can and feed them with pelleted chicken muck in early spring with good results and if I ever get the hang of it I will post some pictures so you may judge for yourself.
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal