We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere.  (Read 4636 times)

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
May 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere.
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:32:24 AM »
Arum pictum still flowering strong.
Same with Haemanthus albiflos.
Unknown Crocus species.
First Galanthus coryrensis for May! Sorry about the focus!
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: May 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
Love the Arum Doug --the ones you gave me a while back are just in leaf so a year or two until they reach flowering size i guess.

Back in 'October in the Southern hemisphere' thread Lesley mentioned her success in taking Weldenia cuttings in the autumn --As an experiment  i showed a pic of a cutting i had taken then during that month and although it had formed a small root by xmas i neglected to take a pic before i passed it on to Doug.

So while dividing one of my clumps 6 weeks ago back in March ,(13th),i took a number of new cuttings --these were the side stems growing at varying distances along the main stem/s and placed them in riversand.

Interestingly although my numerous plants in the garden proper have died back the cuttings have stayed green and are just now showing signs of decay.

This is what i found today....

Cheers dave
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
Good on you Dave. In my experience the cuttings taken in autumn form calluses, rather crusty bits on the ends and don't really make new ROOTS until the spring when they are starting into growth again. I expect yours will too.

Doug, I think your crocus could be Cr. longiflorus. Mine is out at present but I'm not going out to compare as it's raining and bl..... cold. Maybe tomorrow when the blooms may be open.

The Arum pictum is a real beauty. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:52:24 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:26:35 AM »
Good on you Dave. In my experience the cuttings taken in autumn form calluses, rather crusty buits on the ends and don't really make new ROOTS until the spring when they are starting into growth again. I expect yours will too.

Ofcourse we garden in quite differing climates Lesley.....

To my eye these 'crusty bits' are clearly the roots forming --what else could they be ?. :D.

Cheers dave
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »
Dave,
you look set to corner the Weldenia market! :o
We had a few more crocus come into bloom on the weekend,
Crocus oreocreticus, bought this year from Marcus Harvey,
217652-0

Crocus biflorus ssp melantherus, also from Marcus but a few years ago,
217654-1

The tiny Crocus cambessedesii (I think - I remember planting it here but I didn't find the label) It's Crocus laevigatus as identified by Thomas H!
217656-2

And this Crocus niveus had a visit from one of the myriad of little butterflies which I think are known as Azure Blues, but I could be mistaken,
217658-3

Last year I posted a pic of this salvia under the name S. cryptantha, which Luit pointed out is actually NOT a purple colour! I've since learned that it's Salvia pachyphylla from the USA,
217660-4

cheers
fermi

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:43:16 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
Dave,
you look set to corner the Weldenia world market! :o

cheers
fermi

Nope too late for that Fermi.
I think Lesley has achieved that already  ;D ;D ;D  ;)

Cheers dave

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:54:25 AM »
Yep, I already did that Fermi. I've sent them now to 7 different countries, and so far as I know, quite successfully.

Dave, to me those knobby bits on the sides look more like new side growths which will develop as rosettes of foliage, rather than roots. Might be wrong though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:57:10 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:15:42 AM »
Fermi, I'm sure this is not Crocus cambessedesii - looks like laevigatus..
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
Fermi, I'm sure this is not Crocus cambessedesii - looks like laevigatus..
Thanks, Thomas!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »
Dave,
you look set to corner the Weldenia market! :o
We had a few more crocus come into bloom on the weekend,

Last year I posted a pic of this salvia under the name S. cryptantha, which Luit pointed out is actually NOT a purple colour! I've since learned that it's Salvia pachyphylla from the USA,
cheers
fermi

just took a closer look at this--really great foliage..

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
First frost this morning! All the (weedy) vegetable garden and the top of my car are white. Brrrrr.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »
The autumn Crocus flowering season is coming to the end in my garden : here are a few of the last ones .
 Cr. caspius has white to all different shades of pale lilac flowers - this one is my darkest seedling . I wish Cr . robertianus would increase a little faster , maybe there is a clone that does so ?

Marcus Harvey and his friend Susan left for Greece and Turkey yesterday on a botanising trip . but all the latest news does not bode well , Athens Airport closed and no public transport - almost anarchy .

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:25:37 AM »
I wish Cr . robertianus would increase a little faster , maybe there is a clone that does so ?

Otto.

Yes it's a lovely clone Otto.  I have a similar one from Marcus that is at last starting to increase after 3-4 years but also gave some seed this season.   
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
I hope Susan and Marcus don't find themselves stranded, or worse, caught up in the violence in Athens. I wonder do they have the option to go to Turkey first?

Your C. caspius clone is really exceptional Otto, Mine are much paler, and just about white. I love its big flowers though. My C. robertianus from Marcus (1) last year, has 3 flowers this years, flowering at exactly the same time as yours. C. longiflorus is increasing quickly and seeding as well.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
Just a few dianthus flowers to show today.
The first is "Mars"
218486-0

The rest are a mix of seedlings in the bulb beds and will need to be removed for them to survive the summer without watering!
218488-1

218490-2

218492-3

218494-4

218496-5

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal