We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2010 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 49689 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: May 2010 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

Here's Laurence (Buddy) Moon's photo, for those of you in a hurry  :D
We haven't heard from him and his great photos for a long time.... anyone know if he's okay?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:21:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/30636.html
is the link to the olfd Forum page for anyone who enjoys a look back in Forum history... all sorts of great plants there, too!
Here's Laurence (Buddy) Moon's photo, for those of you in a hurry  :D
We haven't heard from him and his great photos for a long time.... anyone know if he's okay?

the plants in mark's links are great, as is the white-but following lesley's comments, i looked up d peregrina, and that may be my favourite of all!
do these have short lived seed?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2010, 06:27:26 AM »
Possibly, but the seed I received must have been all of 6 months old, perhaps older.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2010, 06:51:48 AM »
so there is some hope...lol

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
Lesley, a wonderful plant you are having! You are certainly good at seed and now I'm encouraged to try to propagate mine.
in Moscow

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
Those are beautiful Dicentra's, especially Burning Hearts.

Here are some plants which were flowering here now:

Arisaema triphyllum f. zebrinum with a double spathe (that's the second year in a row it does that and it ruins the flower)
Heuchera x brizoides 'Pruhoniciana Alba'
Ramonda myconi
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
We have an Arisaema that has made that double spathe this year. never happened before.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
We have an Arisaema that has made that double spathe this year. never happened before.

Maggi,
last year was the first year this Arisaema made that double spathe too, before that it flowered normally.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »
Oleg, I hope you will get some seed from your lovely Dicentra and be able to share it with some Russian gardeners as a start then perhaps later through the seed exchanges. It is truly beautiful. Of course anyone with D. peregrina could well try some pollinating and who knows what may result? :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »
Beautiful Dicentra Oleg and Lesley - I do love them, they're so graceful arching over such pretty foliage, a real flower and foliage plant  8)

Wim you have some wonderful flowering plants in your garden - what is the foliage like on your Heuchera x brizoides 'Pruhoniciana Alba' ?

Jamie, I love your secret garden jungle it is so lush - I see lots of pots with hidden treasures growing too  8)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
Due to an unseasonably mild, and oftentimes overly warm spring, so much has been popping into bloom that it all got way ahead of me.  Here's a smattering of recent bloomers.

1.  Diphylleia cymosa - Umbrella Leaf, beautiful southeastern USA native woodlander, emerging leaves are strikingly mottled with brown.  Beautiful blue berries on bright color pedicels.

2.  Clematis albicoma var. coactilis - rare shale barren plant, from Eagle Rock, Virginia.  Flowers are light yellow if the blooms are lifted up to peer inside. Very slow to establish.

3.  Deutzia parviflora var. amurensis - 5' (150 cm) tall shrub, perfectly spherical spaced buds give an unusual look, showy in full flower.

4.  Iris cristata 'Dick Redfield' - rare form with 6 falls instead of 3, with highly ornamental fancy frilled crests of white and gold.  One flower in the photo has 7 falls!

5.  Iris cristata 'Shenandoah Sky'- beautiful blue, with white signal spots looking pronounced because they're underscored with dark purple.

6.  Iris henryi - a Chinese woodlander at early anthesis, with lots of unopened buds... appoximately 200 flowers on this clump.

7.  Syringa vulgaris 'California Rose' - among the finest pink cultivars, at early anthesis the buds are copper tinged.  And the fragrance...

8.  Syringa vulgaris 'California Rose' & 'Wonder Blue' at full bloom, the colors harmonize and join forces with incredible fragance near my deck.

9.  Trillium vaseyi - hard to sufficiently capture the elegance of this trillium, the brooding flowers are large, long-lasting, and textured.

10. Viola pedata - infinitely variable, this one has survived the constant nibbling to the ground by rabbits.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:36:02 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
Wim you have some wonderful flowering plants in your garden - what is the foliage like on your Heuchera x brizoides 'Pruhoniciana Alba' ?

Thanks Robin,

Here's a picture of the leaves. Not really special.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2010, 05:25:43 PM »
Mark,

love the irisses.
And Viola pedata is really lovely. I bought it several times here in Belgium (as a plant and as seed) and everytime I got Viola pedatifida. I'll have to buy it in the UK next time.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2010, 06:29:59 PM »
Nomocharis aperta

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »
Due to an unseasonably mild, and oftentimes overly warm spring, so much has been popping into bloom that it all got way ahead of me.  Here's a smattering of recent bloomers.
6.  Iris henryi - a Chinese woodlander at early anthesis, with lots of unopened buds... appoximately 200 flowers on this clump.

great show overall, and this one is intriguing--'woodlander' always catches my attention..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal