We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2010 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 49686 times)

goatshed

Re: May 2010 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »
Ooh, I love that nomocharis, Giles. I've tried growing them twice before and failed. I did get a seedling once but it disappeared.
Creuse, France
-8C (occ.lower) to +35C. High rainfall except for summer.
Free draining gritty acid soil.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »
Mark,
love the irisses.
And Viola pedata is really lovely. I bought it several times here in Belgium (as a plant and as seed) and everytime I got Viola pedatifida. I'll have to buy it in the UK next time.

Mark,
your Viola pedata seems  ' to feel at home '  - I never had such a well grown plant!

Wim,
Had the same experience - 99,5 % pedatifida (plants and seeds) - but as a compensation, Viola pedatifida is much easier  ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2010, 09:12:38 AM »
Wim,
Had the same experience - 99,5 % pedatifida (plants and seeds) - but as a compensation, Viola pedatifida is much easier  ;)

Gerd

Gerd;

much easier indeed. And also beautiful... but still I'd like to try Viola pedata too  ;)

Giles,

wonderful Nomocharis
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

John Aipassa

« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:42 AM »
The first of my Meconopsis punicea is flowering now. Still four to go. Can't wait to pollinate with my paint brush.

Cheers,
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
Every Nomocharis is a good Nomocharis. :)

Mark I really love Iris cristata 'Shenandoah Sky' is a real gem, but much as I admired Dick Redfield (the man) I think I would have put 'Dick Redfield' (the iris) on the compost heap. Don't like it at all. Love I. henryi too. I've never heard of that one.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2010, 02:10:57 AM »
After many attempts to grow V. pedata and always getting V. pedatifisa, Jim Waddick, a kindly American took pity on me and sent seed. I'd still love to have the bicolor forms and the white though. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2010, 04:07:41 AM »
After many attempts to grow V. pedata and always getting V. pedatifida, Jim Waddick, a kindly American took pity on me and sent seed. I'd still love to have the bicolor forms and the white though. ::)

Not sure why it is so difficult to get the real thing, it makes lots of seed.  Perhaps because there are a number of dissected leaf Viola species here in the USA, and assumptions get made regarding identifications, particularly overseas where they are unfamiliar with the various US dissected leaf violets.  The type species was first described for the so-called bicolor form, which I find is not as strong a grower as the more widespread concolorous form, which itself is amazingly variable in almost every aspect.  All white forms I have seen are junk, small flowered and weak growers.  Why go for these pallid inferior forms, when there are amazing forms in every shade of blue, to deep midnight blue.  I upload some images from my garden, all were taken in the early 2000s before the wild bunnies started coming in and decimating my plants.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2010, 04:15:15 AM »
I think I would have put 'Dick Redfield' (the iris) on the compost heap. Don't like it at all.

umm... I like this plant very much.  Thank you so much for sharing your strong dislike of it, makes me feel real good about posting a photo of what I believe to be a very special form  ::) :-\
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2010, 05:43:17 AM »
You're welcome Mark. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. My tastes are different from yours and no doubt yours are, from from some others.' :)

Your pedatas are all beautiful. Mine are all the same (7 plants) and I should say are the same shade as your paler forms. My leaves seems to be more finely dissected too.  Although they're planted in a group and although I've hand-pollinated sometimes, I've never had a seed yet.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:46:13 AM by Lesley Cox »

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:53 AM »
Not sure why it is so difficult to get the real thing, it makes lots of seed.  Perhaps because there are a number of dissected leaf Viola species here in the USA, and assumptions get made regarding identifications, particularly overseas where they are unfamiliar with the various US dissected leaf violets.  The type species was first described for the so-called bicolor form, which I find is not as strong a grower as the more widespread concolorous form, which itself is amazingly variable in almost every aspect.  All white forms I have seen are junk, small flowered and weak growers.  Why go for these pallid inferior forms, when there are amazing forms in every shade of blue, to deep midnight blue.  I upload some images from my garden, all were taken in the early 2000s before the wild bunnies started coming in and decimating my plants.

Wonderful Mark,

I really should buy some (real ones  ::))
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
Lovely.  I keep missing out on seed for some reason.  Will try again this year

After many attempts to grow V. pedata and always getting V. pedatifida, Jim Waddick, a kindly American took pity on me and sent seed. I'd still love to have the bicolor forms and the white though. ::)

Christchurch, New Zealand

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
Mark I really love Iris cristata 'Shenandoah Sky' is a real gem, but much as I admired Dick Redfield (the man) I think I would have put 'Dick Redfield' (the iris) on the compost heap.

And I would have rescued it from your compost heap and brought it home....  I like both forms!  :)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

TheOnionMan

« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
I have uploaded a PDF scanned from an old 1983 newsletter from the Northwest Chapter of the American Rock Garden Society, with an article written by Roy Davidson on Viola pedata.  Also included is species synonymy and some links.  The important thing to note, there are NO recognized varieties of birdfoot violet, and the fictitious one called V. pedata bicolor is just plain made up.  The species is not only extremely variable in flower shape, size and color, but the leaves which are always dissected, run the gamut in extent of leaf dissection, size, shape, and character... I include a link to a very finely dissected one.

There is a famous location here in Massachusetts, in the western end of the State, where V. pedata grows by the acres in the middle of an interstate highway clover-leaf (exit ramp system).  On several occasions I have exited the highway at this location, parked at a local business area, then walked back to the highway interchange and jumped the 5' chain link fence to observe the astounding colonies.  They grow by the millions in full sun in nutrient poor soils that barely support grass.  Each colony of 50-100 plants was quite unique and unlike its neighboring colony just inches away, found in nearly every color except pure white (I have found pure whites elsewhere, but they always seem to be squinny runts).  Flower size varies, sometimes triple the size of other forms, color range from rose, lavender, to every nuance and shade of blue to darkest midnight blue, and flower shape can be rather amusing with oddly shaped flower forms... the best types however being those with full rounded blooms and extra wide grinning "faces".  There was a time where I grew a number of selected forms, my favorite being one with comparitively enormous gray-lavender flowers that I called Grey Ghost, which I gave to a couple nurseries in hope of their getting into the trade, but don't think it went much beyond that.

Synonym(s):
Viola pedata var. atropurpurea DC.
Viola pedata var. concolor Holm ex Brainerd
Viola pedata var. lineariloba DC.
Viola pedata var. ranunculifolia DC.

Invalid:
Viola pedata var. bicolor

Distribution map and information
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=vipe

Extremely variable, particularly in foliage, some forms with exceptionally narrow divided foliage:
http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=7631
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
Mark I really love Iris cristata 'Shenandoah Sky' is a real gem, but much as I admired Dick Redfield (the man) I think I would have put 'Dick Redfield' (the iris) on the compost heap.

And I would have rescued it from your compost heap and brought it home....  I like both forms!  :)
hear hear!i can't imagine i will ever get to see I.cristata Dick Redfield over this side of the pond so its fantastic to see your photo.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
Mark,
Thanks for the detailed information concerning Viola pedata!
Although there are only few problems in cultivation of most north American violets for me the plant mentioned above seems to be impossible to keep in my garden.
After collecting some informations from US-growers I planted it several times in a bed with very poor (sandy) limefree soil and in full sun.
They flowered occasionally - but very poor and no seed set. Later on they became smaller and smaller - more dead than alive.
I once got an another information that a dry periode in autumn which stops the growth of the leaves would be essentional for this species.
We have rain all year round - a total of about 800 to 1000 mm (USDA zone 7 b).
So I suppose that local conditions cause my bad results with this species.

I would be glad if you'll tell me your opionion about this - especially concerning soil and rainfall!

Thanks god rabbits are unable to enter the garden - only squirrels, but here are still only the 'good ones' i.e. the European reds.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal