We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2010  (Read 44814 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Bearded Iris 2010
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
here are two intermediates, 'Amelia Bedelia', which I thought I had lost over the years, plus 'Fritillary Flight', which I find particularly attractive in the garden.  Subtle, not too gaudy, well branched.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:25:15 AM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:13 AM »
This DBI put up a flower now but I don't remember it flowering earlier in the season.
222108-0

I wonder if it is the one called "Wanganui Gem" bred by Jean Stevens in NZ in the 1930s? I've just been sent a piece of it but think it maybe one I've already had froma couple of sources.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Hristo

« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »
Nice plants Jamie and Fermi,
Flowering here now one of the seldom seen parents of many of the cultivated bearded hybrids, Iris variegata.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »
A couple of recent acquisitions:-

Iris 'Paltec'. This is one I hadn't come across before, the label tells me that it is a cross between I. pallida and I. tectorum.
I. 'Raspberry Blush'
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:01:08 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »
A couple of recent acquisitions:-

Iris 'Paltec'. This is one I hadn't come across before, the label tells me that it is a cross between I. pallida and I. tectorum.
I. 'Raspberry Blush'
Glad to see someone else with paltec David, one of the few hybreds I hope to try recreating it one day, but with pallida ALBA x tectorum ALBA  to try for a less grey coulor. I think the cross was achieved the other way round too but no longer exists.  Here is a seedling of Iris junoniana flowering for the first time
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

arillady

« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »
Some really desirable irises shown lately. Any would be welcome in my garden.
Thanks for posting everyone.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arilnut

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »
Hi David and Peter. Sorry to tell you but that is not Paltec. I have had it for many years.
Here is a photo from Iris City Gardens site. It has a crest with some beard hairs, very small.
Thomas Silvers has been crossing Bearded and Tectorum for several years and registered
"Flying Dragon" in 2004. It is larger than Paltec.

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

PeterT

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Hi David and Peter. Sorry to tell you but that is not Paltec. I have had it for many years.
Here is a photo from Iris City Gardens site. It has a crest with some beard hairs, very small.
Thomas Silvers has been crossing Bearded and Tectorum for several years and registered

John B
I should very much like to see Flying Drgon, I shall contact them. I am not sure If Davids plant is Paltec, I had not looked closely and the beard looks rather strong but my memory is hazy, the flower can vary according to conditions and age though, perhaps David could post a more mature picture? I shall post one If I catch it in bloom.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
is it possible that the plant david has got the pallida parent prevailed,i'm sure the crossing of tectorum to pallida would produce quite a lot of variation.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

PeterT

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
I think you would be right but that Paltec is a clone and I have found it stable, it looks like a bearded Iris untill the flower ages a little when the stands spread, the crest/ beard is as John said. It is interesting as an intersectional cross

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2010, 09:25:46 PM »

John B

John, according to the Iris City Gardens site the Iris shown, and pictured as "Paltec" is a cross between Iris tectorum and a bearded iris "Edina". The label on mine says a cross between Iris pallida and tectorum. It wouldn't be impossible for there to be more than one plant masquarading as "Paltec" would it?

Peter, will try to get a better picture during next week.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:12 PM »
Been on the allotment this evening, Paltec was in flower, as well as some germanica forms

PeterT

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:48 PM »
these are young plants of collected Iris germanica forms, a form from sw france and spain, collected on the Island of Sun , Lake Titicaca between Peru and Bolivia where it had naturalised.
Iris germanica alba from Beaucaire
and Iris germanica vulgaris.

daveyp1970

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:02 PM »
I think you would be right but that Paltec is a clone and I have found it stable, it looks like a bearded Iris untill the flower ages a little when the stands spread, the crest/ beard is as John said. It is interesting as an intersectional cross
cheers for that Peter i didn't know Paltec was the clonal name i thought it might of been the grex name having pal and tec in the name.I understand now.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

daveyp1970

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2010, 11:04:33 PM »
there are some lovely Germanica forms there love the alba form.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal