We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum flowering  (Read 12892 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Podophyllum flowering
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 04:25:37 AM »
These are quite magnificent Philip but can you downsize them so that they can be viewed across the page without scrolling and only a bit visisible at a time?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 02:38:30 PM »
These are quite magnificent Philip but can you downsize them so that they can be viewed across the page without scrolling and only a bit visisible at a time?
We generally suggest a pic size of around 760 x 500 pixels to maximise viewing ease on the forum but if bigger photos are loaded there is a way to see the whole picture... albeit one which will reduce the text size to miniscule   ::) :-X
If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse......
Hold down the Ctrl key/button (likely to be found bottom let of your keypad ) and scroll the wheel towards you... the picture will reduce. reverse the action to retrun to "normal" size.

If you do not have a scroll wheel on your mouse......
Hold down the Ctrl button and repeatedly press the minus key (it produces - and _  and is to the right of the 0 key)
and then Ctrl and the plus key (+=) to return.

Still a pfaff but easier than getting to the foot of the page and scrolling for these large pix.  
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 10:26:04 PM »
I'll try those and see what happens.

Thanks Maggi.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »
Philip - Have your Podophyllum difformes re-appeared yet?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:59 PM »
My two plants which I had identified as Podophyllum mairei both have pale pink almost straw coloured flowers as seen in the first photograph.

Now a further plant has produced dark red flowers,second photgraph, which fit the description of mairei.This ties in with Stearn in 'The Genus Epimedium' page 284 apart from the difference in stature,mine being a metre tall. I think he only had one plant to work on.

My delavayi have produced flowers of all sorts of shapes and size but are uniformly red. I grow difforme with difficulty and it has not flowered yet
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
Tony - Can we see the leaves of your maireis?  Interesting outcome with the flowers.

It would seem everyone has a problem with difforme.  Philip MacD says someone in Vancouver has it spreading like mad in their garden.

johnw

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
John here are the leaves taken from above.

Those on the red flowered plant are 70 cms across and the plant is 1 metre high and on the pink which is growing in a drier site 60 cms across and it is shorter at 70cms

johnw

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »

Those on the red flowered plant are 70 cms across and the plant is 1 metre high and on the pink which is growing in a drier site 60 cms across and it is shorter at 70cms

Lovely leaves Tony.  Very much like one expect of versipelle too don't you think?

johnw

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »

Lovely leaves Tony.  Very much like one expect of versipelle too don't you think?

johnw

John it is impossible to tell them apart until they flower

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
We generally suggest a pic size of around 760 x 500 pixels to maximise viewing ease on the forum but if bigger photos are loaded there is a way to see the whole picture... albeit one which will reduce the text size to miniscule   ::) :-X
If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse......
Hold down the Ctrl key/button (likely to be found bottom let of your keypad ) and scroll the wheel towards you... the picture will reduce. reverse the action to retrun to "normal" size.

If you do not have a scroll wheel on your mouse......
Hold down the Ctrl button and repeatedly press the minus key (it produces - and _  and is to the right of the 0 key)
and then Ctrl and the plus key (+=) to return.

Still a pfaff but easier than getting to the foot of the page and scrolling for these large pix.  

I am reporting on some "interesting results" trying these computer screen size manipulations... different results for Internet Explorer 8.x and Firefox 3.x web browsers. These key-sequences are useful to know about, as a workaround to large photos on screen that require scrolling, but be aware of the caveats.  It is still best that forumists use the SRGC image sizing guidelines.

1.  When resizing using either method to see the entire overly large photo, your browser will keep this "zoom level" permanently, even if closing and then restarting the browser.  The text does indeed get very small; the smaller text-size captions under the photos become too small to read.  And in general, the reduced size text gets light and fuzzy looking. It will be necessary to use the reverse Ctrl button sequence, to get back to your original zoom level.  It is not immediately apparent what the "original" zoom level was if one doesn't pay attention to how many clicks were used to enlarge or zoom in the first place, particularly true if one uses the scroll wheel option where you really can't count clicks.  I don't know if there is a "home" of "back to original" zoom level, one just has to use the Ctrl key sequences to get back to "what looks right".

2.  Different browsers work differently.  In Firefox 3.x, resizing the screen zoom level for the SRGC Forum worked to just apply that change to the SRGC Forum destination.  If I click on the NARGS Forum, or any other destination, the zoom level is unaffected.  In Internet Explorer 8.x, resizing the screen zoom level for the SRGC Forum had the undesirable effect of resizing the zoom level on all "tabs" or destinations; not good.  There might be a setting for controlling how separate "tabs" in Internet Explorer behave, but this appears to be the "default" behavior.

So, if you use these Ctrl key sequences, be careful... count the number of clicks used to change the display size to be able to reverse the setting afterward, or make a mental note of how the SRCG Forum looks at its original size, so that you can get back to that size after viewing the large images.  If you use different web browsers, or even different versions of the two browsers I mention, who knows what the effects might be.

By the way Maggi, I had no idea about what "pfaff" meant.  It appears to be British slang, and an alternate spelling for "faff". ??? ::)  

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pfaff
(British, slang) Alternative spelling of faff.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/faff

perhaps more universally used:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kludge

Edit by maggi
Learning new words all the time, as well as all the other gems offered in these pages, eh?!! Wink

I hope that the comments from myself and McMark are useful
however.....
the main instruction remains, please keep photos to a maximum of 760 pixels wide for the forum!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:02:17 PM by Maggi Young »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
Stunning pictures everyone.  Aren't Podophyllum just amazing!!

Thanks for the hint re the ctrl+scrolling to increase and decrease the size, although very difficult to work out exactly what size it was to start with!  I still don't think I have the size right, but can't find a way to get it back to normal? ::)  Any ideas?  ???

Thanks for the pics everyone.  A joy to view on returning to the forums after a lengthy absence.  ;D ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »
To check whether you've returned the page to the correct size- postion the page at the foot of a post...... if you can see the whole text across the page, then you're about right!
 that is :
Pages:   1 2 [3]   Go Up     Reply  |  Notify  |  Add poll  | Send this topic Print    
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
Maggi,

Thanks.  I think it is about right.  Thanks for the info.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

manicbotanic

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:34 PM »
podophyllum difforme ..1st time flowering..

johnw

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »
podophyllum difforme ..1st time flowering..

Impressive. Do tell us how to grow difforme successfully.  This species unlike the others has presented problems for many of us. It comes up then quickly collapses, sometimes it returns again as if nothing happened. Then the story is repeated. Your plants(s) look so healthy!

Can you also tell us how cold hardy it might be?  Stearn's book warns it has a tendency to emerge in the late autumn. Does it with you?

johnw :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:49:17 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal