We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northern hemisphere June 2010  (Read 44466 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Northern hemisphere June 2010
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
The little Arthropodium can indeed be cute, and airy and endearing but it can also be weedy, seeding freely into paths and round about. Actually it would really love the gravel flats of Graham's garden. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Graham Catlow

« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Angie.
And likewise to you David. My garden is smaller than it looks in the photo. Some of the boundaries are hidden so some of what you see is beyond the garden.

A super rock garden indeed, with the plants happily nestled against the rocks. I thought there was sand laid on some of the paths but it seems to be a Raoulia?

Thanks Lesley.
It is Raoulia australis. My mountain stream - well thats how I like to see it - perhaps stetching the imagination a little. It took a bit of a beating this winter but is recovering.
Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2010, 10:32:33 PM »
I'll PM you Graham. I have 2 plants of the Asteranthera and have kept them undercover for their life with me (from cuttings, 2005 or 6 I think) so I'll put one outside in the spring. I have several logs which would be suitable as well as, perhaps, what we call pongas or pungas, which are the cut stems of tree ferms and they too rot away quite quickly. I know they are useful for Philesia magellanica.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #318 on: June 30, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »
For David and Luc and everyone else.

My rock garden is ‘work in progress’. I looked at it a couple of years ago and thought it looked like a patchwork quilt of miscellaneous plants dotted amongst the rocks. So I began to reduce the number of varieties and bulk up the ones I wanted to increase.

Graham

nice work, graham! i guess you are dealing with the distinction between garden as collection of plants, and garden as an aesthetic expression! both perfectly valid, and i suppose most of us aim for a bit of both, but must all find our own balance, once we acknowledge the difference :)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »

My rock garden is ‘work in progress’. I looked at it a couple of years ago and thought it looked like a patchwork quilt of miscellaneous plants dotted amongst the rocks. So I began to reduce the number of varieties and bulk up the ones I wanted to increase.

Quite a different approach from what most of us tend to do Graham - but it does look super !!
I recognise your giant Raoulia from the AGS photo competition 2009... it caught my eye then and it does now !!   8) Brilliant.
Thanks very much for taking the time to show us all this !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Zdenek

• Zdenek's website
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »
Thank you Zdenek for your notes. Perhaps you could confirm for me then, that I should be calling the plant below, Saponaria pumila? I had thought that pumila was used by people who didn't realize that the correct name was pumilio! Seems I was quite wrong about this.

(Attachment Link)

This means that what I have distributed as S. pumilio was actually S. pumila and those expecting to get pulvinaris, will have received pumila instead. Oh dear. :( ::)
Hello Lesley, your plant is really Saponaria pumila. You are correct.

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
Conophytum bolusiae ssp. bolusiae, field collected clone (LAV 27907), Augrabies, S-Africa. One of the earliest flowering Conophytums. Some vegetatatively propagated plants have been in culture for fifty years or more. The type specimen of C. ricardianum is still available in culture (the "clonotype")
Petrorhagia prolifera, from seed wild collected at Erdeven, Brittany, France. Small but beautiful. now extinct in Holland. Once occurring in open, dry and sandy areas along our great rivers  >:(
Two better pictures of Thymus longiflorus. Easy and floriferous in an frost free pot.
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
It didn't rain today....

Graham Catlow

« Reply #323 on: July 01, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »

Quite a different approach from what most of us tend to do Graham - but it does look super !!
I recognise your giant Raoulia from the AGS photo competition 2009... it caught my eye then and it does now !!   8) Brilliant.
Thanks very much for taking the time to show us all this !  :D

Many thanks Luc
Yes you are correct the Raoulia was in the AGS on line show. Beaten quite rightly by your very impressive Arenaria granatensis tetraquetra. ;)
I remember seeing it again in this thread a few weeks ago.
Graham

Bo'ness. Scotland

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
  • mediterranean alpines, greece, turkey, iran
« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »
hello hans, Petrorhagia prolifera is here by me in sothwestern germany wild on dry places...
cheers
chris
Rheinland-Pfalz south-west Germany, hot and relatively dry

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #325 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »
Dear Luc and Luit,

Would you please note (see above) that what you received from me as Saponaria pumilio, is actually S. pumila. S. pumilio (further above) is an old (invalid?) name for S. pulvinaris, which I don't have now. ???
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:25:29 PM by Lesley Cox »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #326 on: July 01, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
Thymus longiflorus looks exciting. :)

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
hello hans, Petrorhagia prolifera is here by me in sothwestern germany wild on dry places...
cheers
chris

I'm not surprised it does. It even may be common going southward, like in France and where you're living. In Holland it reached its northernmost boundary. As I said, the species rich grasslands where it grew are now threatened here.

cheers, Hans
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
Dear Luc and Luit,

Would you please note (see above) that what you received from me as Saponaria pumilio, is actually S. pumila. S. pumilio (further above) is an old (invalid?) name for S. pulvinaris, which I don't have now. ???

Duly noted Lesley !  :D
Many thanks Luc
Yes you are correct the Raoulia was in the AGS on line show. Beaten quite rightly by your very impressive Arenaria granatensis tetraquetra. ;)
I remember seeing it again in this thread a few weeks ago.
Graham

Your memory is as good as your rock garden Graham !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
Dear Luc and Luit,

Lesley I did not know that S. pumilio is now S. pumila and I think that after naming it S. pumilio sooooo many years I will have problems to call it S. pumila whenI see it.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal