We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northern hemisphere June 2010  (Read 44503 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Northern hemisphere June 2010
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2010, 03:04:06 PM »

Thanks Maggi! But now I have to out again for a "18%-gray-card" and have those shop owners eyes pointed at me again..."A what?!  :o " Try to get loam-based compost, a pH meter, 1M KCl, a fine ground sieve (in a cooking shop), plastic food containers to sow, or anything else other than a huge flatscreen TV in Holland and they act like you've been escaped from an asylum  ;D

Oh dear! But, you know, just because they look at you like that, doesn't mean you did not just escape! Or pehaps the asylum let you out on holiday!! ;D ;D

People look at me like that all the time, Hans..... that's their problem, not ours!!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
According to Rehder's monograph on Lonicera, (in the Report of the Missouri Botanic Garden 1903 - so ideas may have changed!) chinensis is a variety of Lonicera japonica.  Distinguished by "Leaves pubescent on both sides when young; corolla white fading to yellow, rarely slightly tinged red, upper lip divided scarcely one-half; bractlets as broad as ovaries."

Gail - thank you  :)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Some plants flowering here today:

Physoplexis comosa
Sauromatum venosum
Taraxacum albidum and
Taraxacum pseudoroseum
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
Lilium x dalhansonii 'Mrs R.O.Backhouse'

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
Logically Cohan, lily beetles would only attach liliaceous plants and crocus and iris are iridaceous, so no, they don't attack those, but do the beetles fully understand this logic? I imagine the liliaceous plants have some chemical or other substance in them which attracts the beetles and if that were to be found in anything else..... ??? So far as I know, Narcissus fly species only attack Amaryllidaceae.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Zdenek

• Zdenek's website
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02:50 AM »
Several pictures from recent days:
Alyssum aizoides - similar to A. propinquum but not so spreading
Androsace himalaica grows quite well outdoors
Androsace mariae, the white form
Cortusa matthioli in shady place of peat beds
Dianthus myrtinervius ssp. caespitosus - a tiny form of D. myrtinervius
Meconopsis horridula - its leave rosette is showy even without flowers
Phyteuma globulariifolium - probably the smallest Phyteuma

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »
Logically Cohan, lily beetles would only attach liliaceous plants and crocus and iris are iridaceous, so no, they don't attack those, but do the beetles fully understand this logic? I imagine the liliaceous plants have some chemical or other substance in them which attracts the beetles and if that were to be found in anything else..... ??? So far as I know, Narcissus fly species only attack Amaryllidaceae.

yes, do the bugs read the books? probably no more than do the plants  ;D my biggest concern is what is a danger to buy, but i suppose at some level, everything is :( and certainly no specialty nurseries around here, so any plants available come from some big grower elsewhere, grown on and or retailed here...

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
Wim, very nice dandelions - does Taraxacum pseudoroseum seed around too much like our native T officinalis?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
Wim, very nice dandelions - does Taraxacum pseudoroseum seed around too much like our native T officinalis?

Anne, I wouldn't know. It's the first year I've grown them from seed. They say they don't seed around that much.
If you want some, I've got some seeds from T. pseudoroeum already, T. albidum just got it's first flowers so it will be a while before they set seed. So in a couple of weeks I can send you seed of both of them.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »

I have to agree, here, I find this an underused genus with some really wonderful plants, although I am less than tempted to try them due to the free-love reputation.  In the wild, I find them a real joy and a sign of mother natures inventiveness.

but i do waffle on....
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »

I have to agree, here, I find this an underused genus with some really wonderful plants, although I am less than tempted to try them due to the free-love reputation.  In the wild, I find them a real joy and a sign of mother natures inventiveness.

but i do waffle on....

I grow them in a trough together, it's nice to see visitors looking twice at the flowers because they aren't used to pink and white dandelions :D. I'm catching all the seeds so they won't be spreading in the wild here.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
I love the exotic dandelions too!

Wonderful and interesting plants, Zdenek.
Is your Dianthus myrtinervius really the caespitosus form?  It doesn't resemble much the one in the photo below, below, with the very distinctive stacked leaves.  (The photo is mine from last year; it suffered a bit through this last winter.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:23:54 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
Must say I thought that Zdenek's Dianthus myrtinervius ssp. caespitosus was a rather fine and venerable plant of that type.... grown woody with age... :-X :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
Okay, I see.  I'll probably kill mine long before it becomes fine and venerable, at the rate it's going.  ;)
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
An unknown Eremurus that manages to hang on in my garden
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal