We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2010 in Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8857 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: June 2010 in Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »
Bill, might you feel able to send some seeds over here too? I have a nice form of Cyclamen purpurascens ex Limone form I can offer in exchange, also to anyone else who might like a few (as long as the slugs don't get to them first there's quite a lot of seed pods).
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
Excellent pics everyone.  I'm hoping to prepare some pics today and post them too.

Anne,

What a cracker of a silver purpurascens!!  :o :o  It looks to be absolutely solid silver?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:17 AM »
Excellent pics everyone.  I'm hoping to prepare some pics today and post them too.
Anne,
What a cracker of a silver purpurascens!!  :o :o  It looks to be absolutely solid silver?

Paul, what about an almost solid gold leaved cyclamen?
I am surprised this second year seedling that popped up out of a batch of varigated sdgs is still alive.
On the other hand, if you look closely, there is a hint of chlorophyl to keep it alive.
Would be interesting and looking forward to perhaps see it flowering next time.

Looking forward to your pictures Paul to liven things up a bit this time of the season.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:29:01 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 06:42:29 AM »
Bill, might you feel able to send some seeds over here too? I have a nice form of Cyclamen purpurascens ex Limone form I can offer in exchange, also to anyone else who might like a few (as long as the slugs don't get to them first there's quite a lot of seed pods).

Anne, you are more than welcome to some of that special Cyclamen seed when they're ready in a few months, and would love to try a few seeds of that beautiful silvery leaved Cyclamen purpurascens.
Will send you my postal address by pm. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:44:38 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
Bill,

That's an impressive set of leaves for just a second year seedling. ???  Given they only produce a single leaf the first year for me usually, how the heck did you end up with so many leaves the second year?  It would be interesting to hear whether it flowers, and if so, what colour the flowers are?  It would be fascinating if it stays permanently yellow like that throughout maturity..... and what the seedlings from it would end up looking like if it was successful in setting seed.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
Bill,
That's an impressive set of leaves for just a second year seedling. ???  Given they only produce a single leaf the first year for me usually, how the heck did you end up with so many leaves the second year?  It would be interesting to hear whether it flowers, and if so, what colour the flowers are?  It would be fascinating if it stays permanently yellow like that throughout maturity..... and what the seedlings from it would end up looking like if it was successful in setting seed.
Sorry Paul, just checked the date, you're right, its a third year seedling. (senior moment) ;D ;D
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:17 AM »
Bill,

Not a problem.  I just thought you must have been loading yours up with steroids to get them to grow that quickly into a second year plant.  ;D ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »
A brilliant Cyclamen Bill. I hope it will stay like that for you. Just enough goldy-green in the centre to provide some chlorophyll. I can imagine it would cause a sensation on a bench at the Cyclamen Society's shows. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
Howdy All,

I posted some Cyclamen pics down in the Cyclamen topic, and various bits and  pieces here and there (Massonias and Haemanthus for example) if anyone is interested.  There are assorted bits and pieces flowering the garden here that will fit in with this topic though....

Everything from my Beaugainvillea which has been in flower since about October, through the Canarina canariensis which has a single flower on it for the second year in a row, to Protea nerifolia alba (with a closeup for he lovely furry details), Iris unguicularis 'Snow Queen', and unknown Gladiolus nanus type that has appeared out of nowhere.  Anyone know which one it is?  Doesn't match any others I have, so I am wondering whether a hybrid seedling or something?

Anyway, enough chattering..... here's the pics.

Enjoy.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »
been enjoying your pix intyhe other threads, Paul and these are a fab selection, too. The white Iris unguicularia is just perfect  and your "volunteer" Glad. is a good one....the photos are super too... great detail .... I almost feel I could "adopt" the protea and give it a saucer of milk!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 02:00:16 PM »
Lovely pictures Paul, the Canarina is one of my favourites but that Protea is wonderful!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:27 PM »
Some good cheerful winter warmers there Paul. Is the Wahlenbergia a form of an Australian native?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 11:53:06 PM »
Thanks all.

Lesley,

Yes, it's a double form of an Aussie native.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 04:34:53 AM »
Howdy All,

I posted some Cyclamen pics down in the Cyclamen topic, and various bits and  pieces here and there (Massonias and Haemanthus for example) if anyone is interested.  There are assorted bits and pieces flowering the garden here that will fit in with this topic though....

Everything from my Beaugainvillea which has been in flower since about October, through the Canarina canariensis which has a single flower on it for the second year in a row, to Protea nerifolia alba (with a closeup for he lovely furry details), Iris unguicularis 'Snow Queen', and unknown Gladiolus nanus type that has appeared out of nowhere.  Anyone know which one it is?  Doesn't match any others I have, so I am wondering whether a hybrid seedling or something?

Anyway, enough chattering..... here's the pics.

Enjoy.

now that's a nice mild floriferous winter :)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
Cohan,

Yeah, we only get down to about -8 or -9'C these days, but I'm banking on one of these years getting back to the winters of a number of years back.  That will sort out the plant "men" from the plant "boys", let me tell you.  ;D  There's a lot of things that are borderline here that wouldn't survive the old temperatures of 20 years ago. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal