We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trees in parks and gardens 2010  (Read 50524 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Trees in parks and gardens 2010
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2010, 05:41:01 AM »
Acer griseum continues to please me year round; I planted a tree next to my old deck about 18 years ago.  I chose Acer griseum to be planted near my deck because of its very slow growth (so that it wouldn't overtake the deck), yet after some years finally provide some shade, for its fine small scale foliage in spring and summer, glorious fall color, and the beautiful peeling bark and picturesque twiggy branching in winter.

In our area the leaves of most trees are often gone before they even start coloring  :(

Luit, Zanthoxylum simulans looks very interesting, the trunk looks more "bumpy" than dangerously thorny, but a rather distinctive tree.

"bumpy" , that is the better word indeed Mark. But with my rather limited English I could not find this word  ::) ;D

Here some more pics:
This Tilia we noticed because from a distance it looked like a whitish flowering tree.
There were no flowers but the leaves were almost white on one side.

Tilia tomentosa Petiolaris 1                             
Tilia tomentosa Petiolaris 2

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2010, 05:47:57 AM »
Luit,

see the other pictures of Hillier in the General Forum, reminds me to visit these place again. Thanks for the pictures of this wonderful place.
Uli if you were my guide there, I would have seen many more interesting trees than we did. It's an enormous park and we did not know where to look first, so we just had a glimp of so many trees in some hours time.

Also very exclusive looking was this Styphnolobium japonicum Pendulum.

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50:27 AM »
There were a number of interesting Berberis too. I show here two with nice berries.
As they are edible we tried them too and the red ones are much more tasty than the other colors ;D :D

Berberis glaucocarpa 1                             
Berberis glaucocarpa 2   
Berberis georgei 1                                         
Berberis georgei 2

Onion

« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2010, 07:32:46 PM »
Luit,

see the other pictures of Hillier in the General Forum, reminds me to visit these place again. Thanks for the pictures of this wonderful place.
Uli if you were my guide there, I would have seen many more interesting trees than we did. It's an enormous park and we did not know where to look first, so we just had a glimp of so many trees in some hours time.

Also very exclusive looking was this Styphnolobium japonicum Pendulum.

Luit, stay in the Hillier-Arboretum for two days 8 years ago we had not enough time to see all the magnificent trees and shrubs. It is a place you need a week to see all the nice trees and shrubs.

The tree is not!! Styphnolobium japonicum Pendulum. It is Sophora japonicum Pendulum. Or the name has changed. Handicap of this cultivar is, that it doesn't flower. What a pity!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:39:12 PM by Onion »
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
Onion,

It would seem the name has indeed been changed from "Sophora" to "Styphnolobium". I have been reading "Trees" by Hugh Johnson this evening and he noted the change.

Paddy
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:48:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Onion

« Reply #335 on: November 15, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »
 ??? ???
I hate this renaming, newnaming etc. of all the old plants.

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
I have been reading "Trees" by Hugh Johnson this evening ...
... which is on my Mount Toberead (or Tobebrowsed). What is your opinion of the book so far?

Chloë
(buried in a 7600-word list of hospital equipment :( )
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:15 PM »
Hi Chloe,

I can say with absolute certainty that it is better reading than a list of hospital equipment. Actually, it is an excellent book covering a wide range of tree families, describing them well and commenting on their suitability for the garden; lots of excellent photographs. Excellent.

By the way, I have a copy of "Gardens of Madeira" (you mentioned it in a recent post) on order.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:07 PM »
??? ???
I hate this renaming, newnaming etc. of all the old plants.
Uli I feel with you  ::) :-X
I thought that I had seen trees with similar leaves, and while I was not so sure, I made the close-up of the leaves. Moreover I had never heard this name before (it's not in Hilliers Manual of Trees & Shrubs 1974!).
And I always make pictures of the labels after I photographed a plant or tree.
Here it is:

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
I just remembered that I saw a shrub at Forde Abbey without a name as well and I think I should know what it is, but the brains .... ::) ::) ;D
I do know that it is not a Colutea, but what is it then? Maybe someone can tell me what it is ??

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:45 PM »
I just remembered that I saw a shrub at Forde Abbey without a name as well and I think I should know what it is, but the brains .... ::) ::) ;D
I do know that it is not a Colutea, but what is it then? Maybe someone can tell me what it is ??

Luit - It looks like a Staphylea sp. to me.  S. pinnata maybe.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2010, 12:39:20 AM »
I agree a Staphylea.  Luit, these days a reference dating back to 1974, with the speed of nomenclatural changes going on, you'd need a new reference book almost every year ;D

Regarding the Sophora... ahem, Styphnolobium, is it just the pendulous form that doesn't flower? There are large trees of this locally that always flower, but they're not the pendulous form.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:55 AM »
Whilst on the subject of Hilliers, here's a few I took late July this year. I visit most years as my parents live nearby. The file names identify the plants:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:42:50 AM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #343 on: November 16, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
A few more (the third last one was already posted later in the season by Luit :))
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:24:15 PM by Stephenb »
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Onion

« Reply #344 on: November 16, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Regarding the Sophora... ahem, Styphnolobium, is it just the pendulous form that doesn't flower? There are large trees of this locally that always flower, but they're not the pendulous form.

Marc,

I never see a flowering pendulous form of Styphnolobium. But a friend of mine told me that he see at France (Mediterranean area) an old tree of the pendulous form full in flower. So it is possible that there are different clones in cultivation.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal