We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses-2010  (Read 22436 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Roses-2010
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:38:06 AM »
Although most are simply much too large for a rockery, without the genus Rosa, our gardens would simply not be complete.

Here are a few of the first this season.

Ard's Rover
Aviator Blèriot
Bourbon Queen- just opening
Bourbon Queen- 2 days old
Celine Forrestier
Crocus Rose
Easlea's Golde Rambler
Ghislaine de Fèligonde
Himmelsauge (trans. Eye of Heaven)
Mme Issac Perriere
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

Re: Roses-2010
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
here are a few more.

Paul Noel- a rampant rambler with vicious thorns, scented somewhat like apples
Rêve d'Or - an incredibly strong grower that could overtake any pergola
Rêve d'Or - another shot
Summer Blush - a rarely seen, extremely fragrant modern rose.  Once blooming
The Countryman - an Austin intro
Trompeter von Säckingen - the fully open flowers are flat-quartered
Westerland - one of Kordes best large shrub/small climbers
Westerland - fully open flower
White Gold - a new small climber I added last season.  Wonderfully fragrant and gorgeous flower, healthy foliage
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
Jamie, I agree with you. Some roses should grow in every garden.
You show a wonderful collection.
Hard to believe that in your place, just 300 Km from here they are flowering already.
Here I see just some buds developing, but no flowers yet. Westerland is one I have already for years, but only found out that it is a climber too and replanted last winter. It has such a warm color.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:52 PM »
Jamie, you have some lovely roses flowering and I, like Luit, am surprised at how forward they all are!  The scents must be wonderful in your garden. Funnily enough, in The Swiss Alps by us roses grow really well and are free from disease and they do look wonderful in the mountains.  if only I could find a sweetly scented miniature rose it would have pride of place in my rockery.      
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

arillady

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
Jamie could you please show a couple of other shots of Aviator Bleriot as I would like to put a name to a rose. The unknown came with the study name of "Dick's Rambler"
As we go into winter the only rose bloom is Comtesse Vandal but some of the autumn colour of leaves and stems can be amazing - especially one of the boursaults is a brilliant red
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Regelian

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
Luit, Robin,  
my garden is always a few weeks ahead, as Cologne is quite warm (Zone 8)  (ok, ok, Zone 8 ), plus the garden is walled.  At the moment, things seem to be a bit compressed and everything is popping open.  I expect most of the roses will be in full bloom next week.  Quite a few of the gallicas are still in bud, but the climbers are all in bloom.  I did loos e quite a few roses in the last two winters, but I simply pull them and carry on, as I did start with 300 cultivars!  I currently have a bit over 100.  

Pat,  
I'll take some more shots of Aviator Bleriot tommorow.  It is a large rose, about 4-5 meters, with clusters of lightly fragrant true yellow blossoms, no sign of gold or orange, thad fade to a creamy yellow.  leaves are a shiny, bright green, stems have good thorns and grow very upright, then cascading.  Somewhere between a climber and a rambler in habit.

Here are a few more I took this morning.

Aloha (new rose from Kordes, not the classic from the 60's)
Autumn Sunset - a sport of Westerland with much softer colours
Breeze Hill - a wichuriana climber with wonderful blossoms
climber- whose name I did not note, one of the spontaneous buys.  New intro with huge flowers and decent scent.
Danae - a musk rose with delicate golden-yellow blossoms
unknown Gallica which I grew from a cutting
Hippolyte - a classic gallica
Ilse Krohn Superior - wonderful smaller white climber
multiflora climber of lost name.  Everblooming!
Spelndens - a small myhrr scented ranbler I wouldn't be without

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:26:13 PM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
Luit, Robin, 
my garden is always a few weeks ahead, as Cologne is quite warm (Zone 8) 

I love the way typing Zone 8 with a bracket after it turns into a sunglasses smiley.  8)   Try it on preview and you'll see just type 8 ) without the space between 8)

We're also Zone 8 in the UK but not always so sunglasses smiley
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Regelian

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 09:31:58 PM »
Diane,  oops, I forgot!  nice effect, though.

As punishment, here are my last few for today.  The rose 'Meteor' is difficult to capture, as the colour is a shocking pink-red, verging on fuchsia.

Meteor - a stunner!
Treasure Trove - a golden-pink climbing giant. 9 metres!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:36 PM »
I'm in Zone 9 and Roses just about coming into their own. Yours are beautiful Jamie.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
An alba and a gallica, labels long since gone.

Regelian

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »
Giles,

your gallica looks like 'Tuscany Superb' or 'Tuscany'. A classic under the gallicas!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »
OK, a few more from today.  Unfortunately, the sun is so strong, they were very difficult to fotograph.

Alchemyst - one sees how the rose changes over the days.  Sumptuous, fragrant, once-blooming.

Lady Hillingdon - red new wood and golden blossoms, names after the lady who mentioned that 'when my husbads lays on top of me, I close my eyes and think of England'.  And such a wonderful rose!  Just not fair.  ;D

Paul Noel - two shots of this rose, which is a personal favourite.  Massice growth, masses of blossoms, a bit of repeating, but only lightly scented and thorny to a fault!  Still fabulous.

Mme. Lauriol de Barny - if I had but one smallish climber, this would be the one.  Fragrant, fragrant, fragrant!  Wonderful blossoms and very healthy.  One of the best of the Bourbon roses.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »
Pat,
here are a few over exposed shots of Aviator Bleriot.  Hope they help.  Although this rose is often described as having an apricot tone, I find it is actually a true yellow, not really pinky, which I expect for apricot.  On the other hand, apricots are yellow in some areas, not at all pinky, which may explain this reference.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

arillady

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
Jamie Aviator Bleriot is different to what we have. BY the way Lady Hillingdon the rose is 100 this year. David Ruston at Renmark organised a garden party for the event - ladies and men dressed in period costumes. We organised to have an old bush ( the last of Miss Hatch's garden - house and garden razed to the ground) moved by the local Council. It now graces the front entrance to the Council Chambers and is dedicated to the gardeners of the Barossa Valley. We can move mountains if we want to!!
It is the least the council could do after spraying ALL rose bushes on their main roads - including a group of about 12 at least 80 year old roses outside an old farmyard. The contractor was supposed to spray Rosa canina and Rosa eglanteria.
Gallicas grow so much better in Europe.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Stephen Vella

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »
Jamie some really roses there.

Can you tell me which ones are less likely to fall to blackspot or a great performer..strong growers with lots of blooms and great perfume??

cheers
Stephen
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal