We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses-2010  (Read 23258 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Roses-2010
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
Stephen,

none of the roses that still survive in my garden are disease magnets.  Those have long been routed from the beds.  I have no interest (ecologically minded gardener) or time to spray for disease and pests.  I can heartily recommend all of these hybrids.  Most a very fragrant, some only a bit, but fragrance is too important to ignore, therefore I have only planted varieties know to be well scented.  Mind you, I have noted that some people do not note or appreciate some of the scents, especially those with myrrh.  Plus, most diurnal bloomers are only well scented during daylight ours and/or warmth.

What kind of rose are you looking for?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
A few more, some which are unidentified, being old, possibly lost varieties.  The purples in Gallic roses are particularly difficult to capture on fotos.  I have adjusted the colour as well as possible.

Buff Beauty - a classic I use as a small climber into japanese maples
Errinerrung an Brod - A classic blue rambler. Parent of many blue climbers
Cybeline - an older Austin rose scented of myrrh
Elfe - a german climber, possibly under a different name outside of Germany
An unknown Gallica I raised from a cutting
Graham Stuart Thomas - an english rose from behind! (boy, how did I misname this one?)
Heritage -  a favourite Austin intro, hard to beat.
Mme Platier - a very fragrant alba rose, can be used as a small climber
Pergolése - wonderfully fragrant portland rose
unknown bourbon
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:01:26 PM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
plus three more

unknown red Gallica raised from a cutting
Veilchenblau - the classic blue climber, raised from Errinerung an Brod
Violette - small, deep violet flowers in clusters
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 05:18:15 PM »
Mentioned recently was my R. serafinis that has never flowered. I has now! and only a few cm across
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 05:21:43 PM »
Beautiful Jamie.  My roses are way behind yours but this one, R. 'Fruhlingsmorgen', is a real joy, growing through the honeysuckle Lonicera x italica.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:52:12 PM by Gail »
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Regelian

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »
Mark, Gail,
what beautiful, simple blossoms!  I was driving outside of the city yesterday and the roadsides are filled with blooming R. canina, R. multiflora, as well as some probable hybrids, dotted hear an there by clumps of poppies.  A lovely sight without a soft shoulder to pull over in and better enjoy!  I opened my roof and took in the delicate aroma of multiflora.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
I only have a couple of roses and they're not in bloom anyway but at the weekend I'll try to get a picture of the wonderful Rosa moysii 'Geranium,' in fruit at the Dunedin Railway Station where my Farmers' Market takes place. Last year I had the same plan but when I got myself into gear and took the camera, it had been hard pruned the day before and not a hip was in sight.

This is my most favourite rose, which I'm trying from cuttings as I can't find a source locally. I've grown it from seed but they were a muddy pink shade, not the super lipsticky red of 'Geranium.'
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
you have a great collection Jamie :o, I dont have so many but Rosa roxburghii is doing well, got one or two tea roses and a few other species. congratulations on serafinis Mark, good luck with Geranium Lesley I usualy rip off small basal shoots and cut them down they root better for me. I love the older cultivars Gail
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »
Again, it had been pruned back, some time during the week. Can't seem to get my timing right with this one. :(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 10:17:42 AM »
It is interesting to me that so many iris lovers also grow roses - especially the older or species.
Good to see this thread. I agree with Lesley that Geranium is a stunning rose. I have never been able to get a plant. One species that I do love for its delicate foliage and flowers is Rosa willmottiana
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 07:24:16 PM »
Jamie,
you have great collection of roses 8) - if I only could have more space ::)

My little collection of mainly tea hybrids is in flower too:
Gloria Dei - breeded by Meilland 1945 - one of the best grower, large flowers and desease resistent tea hybrid. A 'must' for every rose lover!
Parole - Kordes 2001 - large single flowers (Ø14cm), with strong scent - wow!
Big Purple - P.Stephens 1986 - flowers large, strong filled, strong scent. Simply great flower shape but weaker in growth and unfortunately not long lasting in a vase
Duftwolke - Tantau 1963 - tea hybrid with visible polyantha genes, multiflower heads, large flowers, strong scent. One flower in a vase fills a room with a rose scent.
Oklahoma - Swim & Weeks 1964 - a strong scented dark red tea hybrid. Strong growth but sensitive for fungal decease in case of big temperature changes day/night.
Caribia - Wheatcroft 1973 - unusal flamed color, half filled. Strong growth but no scent. An eye-catcher in a rose bed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:52:21 PM by Armin »
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »
continued...

Acapella - Tantau 1995 - a wonderful rose. Good growth, strong scented, healthy.
Duftgold - Tantau 1981 - a strong scented yellow. A bit low in growth and senstive against fungal decease (rost).
Erotica - Tantau 1968 - perfektly shaped flowers, strong scent. The name is program. ;)
Schloss Ippenburg - Meilland 2006 - a phantastic new rose! One of my fafourites! Large, perfect flowers, strong growth, healthy, strong scent... 8)

Finally, view on my rose beds surrounded by Prince Igor, a polyantha hybrid. A brilliant orange fading to pink over the time.

Sorry, I have to leave now to watch the soccer game Germany against Australia.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:50:53 PM by Armin »
Best wishes
Armin

maggiepie

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »
Jamie, you have a wonderful collection of roses.
Your pics of Cymbeline and Heritage don't look right though. Cymbeline is a dusky grey pink, a very unusual colour but yours looks white?
Also, your heritage looks much too full, heritage is a cupped shape. Is it possible your pics got mixed up?
Do you not get any pests at all on your roses?
Helen Poirier , Australia

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 09:06:12 PM »
Two of mine; 'Fantin Latour', a really good vigorous shrub and nice perfume and 'Indigo' which was obviously named by someone who is colour blind!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Regelian

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
Jamie, you have a wonderful collection of roses.
Your pics of Cymbeline and Heritage don't look right though. Cymbeline is a dusky grey pink, a very unusual colour but yours looks white?
Also, your heritage looks much too full, heritage is a cupped shape. Is it possible your pics got mixed up?
Do you not get any pests at all on your roses?

Helen,

that is Cybeline, but it tends to almost white in my garden.  As it was in the sun, it was more pinkish, but it now grows in shade as the tree next to it has spread out.  Also, I find the colour changes as the season warms up, getting more grey.  I really love this rose, especially for the unique fragrance.

Heritage is typically a different colour in my garden as in my cousins in England.  I don't know why for sure, but I suspect it has to do with the soil.  Hers is quite acid in comparison and better drained.  I've noted quite a few of the Austin stable being different in my garden, although all of them are direct from David Austin.  Noble Anthony is really pink for me, instead of the deeper cherry red typical for the cultivar.

It's been raining for the last few days, but I hope to post some more shots tomorrow.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal