We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses-2010  (Read 22446 times)

arillady

Re: Roses-2010
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »
Gail Fantin Latour is one of my personal favourites - only flowers in spring but thornless, easy to grow from cuttings and a lovely perfume and bush & flower shape.
Gloria Dei is known as Peace over here.
Uhm I hear that the Aussies got done by Germany - I do not usually follow soccer but I did hear this outcome.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
Jamie, I'm so enjoying this wonderful roses thread and have something up my sleeve to share later today  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »
I'm glad everyone seem to be enjoying this genus!  I took a few more shots today, which are really not as good due to another camera and darker corners to photograph, but here goes.

Duchess de Rohan - I'm not 100% sure on this ID
Eugenie Guinoisseau - a moss rose I use as a climber.  Wonderful fragrance.
Falstaff - another Austin rose with exceptional fragrance.  One of his best purple-reds.
La Belle Sultane - an extremely old rose, been around for at least 400 years.
Lemon Blush - another modern alba rose from Sievers.
l'Eveque (The Bishop) - I grew this from a cutting I picked-up at Sangershausen.  At the time, this cultivar was very difficult to find.  Makes a great short hedge, as it suckers about.
Marechal Davoust - a tall moss I use as a climber.  Agaoin, wonderful fragrance, the leaves as well.
Noble Anthony - a pinkish red from Austin.  If not for the colour, I would toss it as it is a poor doer, although never diseased.
Pat Austin - a truly beautiful rose with an exotic fragrance.  Tends to droop, but is still worth growing.
species - I saw this yesterday growing through a fenced-in field and took a cutting.  No idea what it is, but beautiful and slightly fragrant. addendum:  looks like this may be a hybrid with R. glauca.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:05:13 PM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »
And a climber more, White New Dawn.  Not as robust as the original, but quite white.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »
Armin,

you have some wonderful tea hybrids. I had Duftwolke (Fragrant Cloud in English) for many years, but seem to have misplaced it!  Sounds sily, but I do do this at times.  I really enjoyed the intensely scented blossoms of that curious deep pink.  A very 'tarty' rose for its time.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

PeterT

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
Hi Jamie does your species look like R canina with blue / purple leaves? if so it is Rosa glauca, there are lots of synonyms for it eg R rubrafolia
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Regelian

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
Peter,

I know R. glauca, and this isn't it.  Flowers are twice as large and the foliage is more a medium green, not the wonderful blue of glauca.  It may well be a chance species hybrid.

Ciao,

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

PeterT

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
would this be anything like it then Jamie? it fits your description :P

Regelian

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
Peter,
very much so, although the colour was more intense than in your picture.  The new growth did have slight reddish tips, although it was quite pale green, with but the lightest bluish tinge.

What is it?  It doesn't look anything like my R. glauca.  Is it a hybrid?

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »
Jamie, last week I visited Mottisfont in the UK which has an internationally renowned and wonderful collection of old roses - incase anyone here on your thread is interested I have posted it under Visits and I also have a complete list of the roses which were at their very best somewhat late this year. 

PeterT

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
Peter,
very much so, although the colour was more intense than in your picture.  The new growth did have slight reddish tips, although it was quite pale green, with but the lightest bluish tinge.

What is it?  It doesn't look anything like my R. glauca.  Is it a hybrid?

Jamie
I have five seedlings of a plant raised from R glauca in my fathers nursery 30+ years ago. The seedling was like a rather straggly R glauca with taller arching stems. the plant was sold unflowerd to a neighber, when it flowerd we realised it was a hybred, (usually its seed came true) the flowers were at least twice the size of R glauca and a brighter cerise pink. the foliage was a good plum colour but not with the pinkness of glauca, the leaflets were larger and less pointed.
for years I tried to root it but not one cutting took, the rather poor picture of the plant shows two of the five seedlings, the left hand one is taller and greener, the close up is of the right hand plant. another seedling has germinated this spring after four years from sowing.
We speculated long and hard on the stray pollen parent, I am hoping these F2 plants will reveal it, swegenzowii, pimpinellifolia, sericia, moisii, ecae- lots of species grew around. I think a clue is in its rather fine thorns....   :-\ some of the seedlings have a smaller more twiggy habit and are yet to flower
I believe there are a few registerd R glauca hybreds but it is ages since I read up on them, I guess yours may be a hybred too

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
As promised to Robin elsewhere on the Forum, here i are pix of my favourite rose in the garden ( we only have three!) .... it is a Rosa sericea, grown from seed collected in the Himalaya by Alastair McKelvie.
Nobody told our rose that it is supposed to make a height of 2 m so it is heading to 3m, arching beautifully, in blissful ignorance.

Recent windy weather has blown a lot of the flowers off it, but it still looks good.
I suppose the blossoms are about 7cms across
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »
Maggi, what an exquisite rose  :)  With room to climb up a tree in your garden who could want more than to look up into that beautiful shaped, open hearted mountain flower? Thank you so much for sharing it.

Regelian

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »
Maggie,

despite my love for the gallicas, hybrid musks and fragrant climbers, I find myself easily seduced by natures simple and exquisite beauty.  A wonderful rose you have...and with provenance!   ;D
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Regelian

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »
Well, it looks like what I found is a hybrid, then, as there are no species that fit it native or introduced.  In any case, I find it a fine rose.  Hope it roots!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal