We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Roses-2010  (Read 22448 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Roses-2010
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
Thank you, Friends... we are very fond of the rose, particularly since our friend Alastair collected the seed.
The habit of it is so good, tall, arching stems, self supporting and spiny... pale green soft foliage those lovely creamy white flowers and, later, black hips.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:55:59 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
I also have a rose, collected by friends in Nepal many years ago. Any ideas what it is? Large flowers.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Does anyone still grow 'Paul's Lemon Pillar?' My mother had this lovely rose, lemon but barely so, almost white and with quite  short flowering season. I've not been able to find one in recent years. I hope to find a NZ garden so I can beg some cuttings.

Rosa sericea is certainly a beauty. It also brings to mind one of my favourite things, Rubus x Tridel 'Benendon.'
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:37:33 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
Lesley,

I have Paul's Lemon Pillar growing in a dark corner still.  I need to propogate it and give it a better position, as it is one of the most perfect and beautiful whites I have ever seen.  Nothing lemon about it.  I'm sure someone in NZ still has it as it is a much too important rose to become forgotten.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »
I saw this fine form of the Himalayan Rose in the botanics in Edinburgh last October - Rosa sericea var omeiensis f. pteracantha
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

PeterT

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 11:23:42 PM »
I also have a rose, collected by friends in Nepal many years ago. Any ideas what it is? Large flowers.
could it be R paulii? I'm not sure where it comes from, spreads sideways and not many thorns.
I love your sericea Maggie a few hips would be agreat start to the sowing season. Ptectcanthea is a wonderfull beast too.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 11:43:22 PM »
Rosa omiensis pteracantha. What colour are the flowers? This is not mine, I've not seen the flowers.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »
Rosa omiensis pteracantha. What colour are the flowers? This is not mine, I've not seen the flowers.

They are white, too, Lesley.
I think a blush pink variety may exist, too, but ones I've seen are white.

Peter: I'll make a note about the rosehips for you. Make no promise to remember/find it again, of course!  :-X :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:49:53 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

PeterT

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
I'll keep my fingers crossed, Thanks Maggie  :-*
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
With white flowers among the red stems and thorns it must be really lovely. I'll have to go a-looking for cuttings.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
As promised to Robin elsewhere on the Forum, here i are pix of my favourite rose in the garden ( we only have three!) .... it is a Rosa sericea, grown from seed collected in the Himalaya by Alastair McKelvie.
Nobody told our rose that it is supposed to make a height of 2 m so it is heading to 3m, arching beautifully, in blissful ignorance.

Recent windy weather has blown a lot of the flowers off it, but it still looks good.
I suppose the blossoms are about 7cms across

very nice--roses are among the few flowers that i don't mind in overdone doubles, but i do like the simple natural ones! the white is lovely..
 our native R acicularis is just starting now, and will soon line roadsides, field edges, and anywhere it gets even a slight break in the forest--our yard is full of them!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2010, 11:36:54 PM »
Last year my Zephrine Drouhin was rubbish, covered in black spot and few flowers. I March I cut back every stem to a few cm and removed many others. I should have taken a photo.

This is what it looks like today. The scent um-umm-ummm and can fill the garden when a breeze blow the right way
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 11:40:37 PM »
there is a mass of flowers above also. The middle photos the colour change from deep pink to pale before the petals fall

Top of my wants list Souviner du Dr. Jamin - deepest blood red, double, mighty scent, suitable for poor soild and best on a north wall

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
Mark,

isn't it amazing what a good pruning will do!  Of course, it should be an otherwise healthy plant, but I try to do a major prune on my climbers every three years to keep them under control and maintain vigour.  Although I don't grow Zepherine Drouhin, I do grow Souvenir de Doctor Jamain, on a nrothe wall, and it is a very worthwhile rose.  I cannot handle full sun, as it does burn very easily, but the flowers are a small wonder.  This is one scheduled to be hard trimmed this season, as it is starting to straggle and look rubbish, as many hybrid perpetuals are wont to do.  At the Rose Garten Westfallen, they take the hybrid-perpetuals right to the ground every season and they consistently produce 2m high stems every year.  Although this group is a bit more than sussceptable to rust and black-spot, they are very vigourous.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
Do you think I can cut Zepherine to the ground?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal