We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 13187 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: July 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
Two more pictures of a Narc.Little Gem X Narc.cyclamineus cross and another N.cyclamineus seedling with a nicely shaped trumpet and beautifully frilled corona rim.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:57:07 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Something different flowering at the moment is a Clivia interspecific hybrid and an early flowering dwarf bearded Iris with no name but still welcome.
Climate zone 10

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
Just caught up with this thread. Bill and Lesley, Your daffodils are great! What a cracker, Lesley, and so vigorous. Bill, your Gipsy Queen hybrid is particularly nice.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
That should have read N.Gipsy Queen X N.cyclamineus in reply # 58 instead of Gambas X cyclamineus, modified mistake. Sorry senior moment  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:00:30 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »
As a rule I'm not very successful with growing Galanthus here up north, but these Galanthus plicatus and Galanthus elwesii species have flowered well this time.
Climate zone 10

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »
Lovely to see bulbs flowering here and looking so fresh, thanks everyone.

Lesley, it's great to see your photos of your Narcissus cross in post 52 and the result which is gorgeous!

Do hope my little Narcissus Angels Whisper flowers this Sept  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2010, 09:33:32 AM »
Bill,

In case you are interested.... your Galanthus plicatus aren't correct.... the base of the leaves aren't plicate, in fact there look to be more plicatus blood in your elwesii pic than in the plicatus pic.  Both very nice by the look of it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
Bill,
In case you are interested.... your Galanthus plicatus aren't correct.... the base of the leaves aren't plicate, in fact there look to be more plicatus blood in your elwesii pic than in the plicatus pic.  Both very nice by the look of it.
You could very well be right Paul, I am no authority on Galanthus species or cultivars , these were given to me by other kind people.
So what species are they in your opinion? I will have to go by your more superior knowledge and expertise.
Anyone else have a different verdict? Look forward to more point of views. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:24:49 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
Interesting Lesley, I would have expected you not to like it judging from previous comments on other oddities in the Narcissus.  I'm glad for it's sake that you like it.  ;)

But then, I'm an oddity too Paul. ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:36:50 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »
I think the Galanthus that are in New Zealand are quite badly mixed, regarding their names. It was years before I found the true and ordinary G. nivalis. My mother for many years ordered it from a prominent North Island bulb supplier (R. E. Harrison, no longer in existence) yet every time it was G. plicatus. Many people throughout the country must be growing or have grown G. plicatus in the belief it is G. nivalis.

I was very surprised today to find the first flower out on Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin.' Also surprised - and not at all pleased - to see that a blasted bunny has eaten just about all the leaves on the fine-leaved forms of Narcissus; romieuxii, bulbocodium forms, 'Nylon' etc, and shorn off the whole top growth of a very nicely growing Cheiranthus mutabilis 'Variegata.' He left the larger, flat leaf kinds and so far hasn't touched either N. b. citrinus or 'Angel's Whisper' which, I have to say, is proving to be very vigorous.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
Bill,

I think the plicatus looks pretty much pure elwesii by the leaf arrangement, but the one you have labeled as elwesii definitely has some plicatus blood in it by the looks of it, as the base of some of the leaves are foled back on themselves, something which pure elwesii to my understanding shouldn't have.  Other than that, I really can't tell you.  The monostictus types of elwesii are difficult to tell apart unless particularly different, so names aren't easy at all unless you are trying to work from a list and work out which is which (if you know what I mean).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:15:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:09 AM »
Bill, I think the plicatus looks pretty much pure elwesii by the leaf arrangement, but the one you have labeled as elwesii definitely has some plicatus blood in it by the looks of it, as the base of some of the leaves are foled back on themselves, something which pure elwesii to my understanding shouldn't have.  Other than that, I really can't tell you.  The monostictus types of elwesii are difficult to tell apart unless particularly different, so names aren't easy at all unless you are trying to work from a list and work out which is which (if you know what I mean).

OK, here we go again hopefully with the correct botanical species names, accoding to our roving Galanthus expert, Paul T.  ;D ;D
Galanthus elwesii and Galanthus plicatus. We're never to old to learn, this is the place to get plants exposed and corrected.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:55:33 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »
Bill,

I'm not sure I'd call them straight plicatus..... I'd be calling them a plicatus hybrid.  I don't think it is regular enough to be a full plicatus, although they may be more variable than I am aware.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
Yes, its that special time of the season again, and no doubt one of the highlights, when it comes to the growing and showing of these exquisite Tecophilaea species, one of my very special favourite genera.
Tecophilaea cyanocrocus aka the Chilean Crocus is unique in the bulb world for the sheer depth and intensity of its fabulous deep vivid gentian blue flowers, and
its supreme beauty makes it a must in every connoisseur's collection.
This is usually the first of this species to flower with many more to come, closely followed by T. leichtlinii and T.violacea, always a delight to see these treasures in flower.
For a bit of a chance and showing off this picture, I have been fooling around with a frame from PhotoShop, and makes a nice sreensaver in the process.
Climate zone 10

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »
Very pretty Bill!  :)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal