We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere July 2010  (Read 27916 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Northern Hemisphere July 2010
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2010, 08:35:58 PM »
this mint is very interesting! :o

Thank you, Cohan! A good mini cover but unfortunately not hardy here - but in spring there are always some seedlings!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Graham Catlow

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
Flowering in the rock garden today. Planted for the foliage really.
Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2010, 01:10:46 AM »

Graham
great colour!

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:11 AM »

Graham

Graham, Ophiopogons are great plants, really like em.  I had the black one before, but lost it, need to try it again. Fortunately, some really intriguing dwarf species are showing up in commerce.  One that is popular here in the USA, is sold as Ophiopogon "chingii", but going through the Flora of China, it seems not to be O. chingii... it keys much closer to O. umbraticola.  It is flowering now, short racemes of tiny white flowers (actually, palest lavender), but in October, beautiful showy shiny blue "berries".  This is a tight clumper, not a rhizomatous runner, and it is evergreen through the winter and rock hardy here.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »
some pics from yesterday :

Perovskia
Echinacea ( thats some new cultivars but I dont know the name )
Lilium henryii

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:10:19 PM by Hans J »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »

Graham

Graham, so many people use this plant as edging but I have never seen such an imaginative use of it on stone steps - WOW!  Dark colours are wonderful but have to have a background that makes them stand out even if only a few tones lighter or just light play as in your Ebony lilies. I really enjoy your planting ideas in addition to your wonderfully grown plants  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

angie

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
Hi Hans

Some lovely flowers there and I can see you still have that lovely sun shinning ;D...I do like your Echinacea, lovely colour.

Graham

I like your Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' growing on your steps.I have it in my gravel paths but I think I will copy what you have done ;D ;D
I to have seen it growing as edging...what comes to mind is York Gate garden in Wales, they had made broad borders with it.

Angie :)

Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2010, 12:10:01 PM »
Due to the extremely hot weather Gentianas started earlier than usual
1. Gentiana pneumonantha
2. Gentiana tibetica
3. Another Zygadenus received as Z.leimonthoides
4. Origanum vulgare 'Nanum'
in Moscow

Graham Catlow

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »

great colour!
[/quote]

Thanks to Cohan, Mark, Robin and Angie,

Graham, Ophiopogons are great plants, really like em.  I had the black one before, but lost it, need to try it again. Fortunately, some really intriguing dwarf species are showing up in commerce.  One that is popular here in the USA, is sold as Ophiopogon "chingii", but going through the Flora of China, it seems not to be O. chingii... it keys much closer to O. umbraticola.  It is flowering now, short racemes of tiny white flowers (actually, palest lavender), but in October, beautiful showy shiny blue "berries".  This is a tight clumper, not a rhizomatous runner, and it is evergreen through the winter and rock hardy here.
[/quote]

Mark
The berries on the O. umbraticola? are really unusual, they are so blue. As you will know the berries on the Nigrescens are black or at least really dark.

Angie
Whilst it looks as though it grows between steps this is in fact part of the terraced rock garden but growing between steps would be a really good idea.
This forum is so good - for everything from serious scientific discussion to seeing something that you hadn't thought of yourself and taking the idea and using it. Good luck with the planting between your steps.

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

TheOnionMan

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »
I agree Graham, one sees such great ideas on this forum.  One thing I've done a lot of this year is visit gardens, and I always see interesting ideas and learn new things; here's one that caught my fancy, in the garden of a friend, where a Thymus is trailed over the rock edge of a raised garden down onto weed-mat.  It looks like flowing water of a small stream.  I envision making a faux stream garden feature, on a larger scale, where thymus or other carpeting plant is the water.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »

Mark
The berries on the O. umbraticola? are really unusual, they are so blue. As you will know the berries on the Nigrescens are black or at least really dark.

Some of the Ophios do have such attractive "berries", although the show is short-lived... just a week or two until they start to shrivel and drop off.  This year I will have even fewer I'm afraid, a number of flowering stems were given up for the scientific effort of identifying the plant, scanning the floral parts.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Graham Catlow

« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
I agree Graham, one sees such great ideas on this forum.  One thing I've done a lot of this year is visit gardens, and I always see interesting ideas and learn new things; here's one that caught my fancy, in the garden of a friend, where a Thymus is trailed over the rock edge of a raised garden down onto weed-mat.  It looks like flowing water of a small stream.  I envision making a faux stream garden feature, on a larger scale, where thymus or other carpeting plant is the water.

I also like to visit other Gardens and get ideas. I particularly like mat plants grown in inventive ways. The one you show looks really good.
Luc Gilgemin has an Arenaria that grows over rocks, its one of my favourite photos from the AGS on-line show.
I've added the link below but I'm not sure if I have done it correctly.
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/competitions/online-show/2008/cushion+plant/562/

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
Graham, just a small impression of ideas for foliage and flowers now as discussed in the lilium thread
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »
Robin they are stunning images,I know they are in a garden context but they don't half remind me of a woodland understory.Lovely
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Graham Catlow

« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »
Graham, just a small impression of ideas for foliage and flowers now as discussed in the lilium thread

Robin,
Thats a lovely combination. I like the way the colour of the Heuchera stands out and the Fuchsia nods over the area. I imagine it looked even better a week or so ago when the Primula was at its best.
Davey is right It looks like a woodland setting.

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal