We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere July 2010  (Read 27923 times)

JPB

• My plants
Re: Northern Hemisphere July 2010
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »
At this moment flowering in pots:
Hypericum pulchrum, 2nd generation from seed originally collected in Brittany, France (Mark/Onion Man, if you want i can collect some seed of it)
Veronica longifolia, not the garden plant, but the wild genotype (cutting), Overijsselse Vecht (NE-Holland)
Thymus pulegioides, the true species from near Haarlem (Zuid Kennemerland)
Dianthus deltoides, the wild genotype (cutting), Overijsselse Vecht
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

angie

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »

Hi Angie, check out Hibiscus syriacus 'Blue Bird' here:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5568.msg159428#msg159428

I have specialized in hybriding these things over the last 7-8 years.  These things LOVE THE HEAT, that might be part of the reason they are difficult or not free-flowering for you.

Mark...your Hibiscus are lovely, maybe my polytunnel will be the place to grow them. My mum managed some years to get her plants to flower but she had a sheltered garden . I have all my mums plants in pots, maybe one day they will flower for me. I have one in the tunnel so will wait and see if the flowers turn yellow and drop off, if they do I can always look at you and Hans plants.
Thanks
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2010, 07:13:09 AM »
I promised to post a close up picture of what I have as Zygadenus nuttallii (Aaron had doubts about the name). Could those who are familiar with the genus help identify it. The tird picture is that of Z.elegans
in Moscow

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2010, 07:16:38 AM »
I have already shown Codonopsis ussuriensis in this Forum. Just one more time for those who like it brown. I wonder how the poor thing can survive in +33 heat.
in Moscow

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
Oleg, the brown  Codonopsis is super!

My Zigadenus went over very quickly this year and I do not have close -up photos to compare with yours....    but I look forward to hearing the comments from Aaron and others and will make note  for next year.... I'm not sure mine are correctly named  either!  :-[ :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
Luc - Thanks for that information.  Would it be safe to transplant the second tiny seedling out of the pot with the monster?  I'll leave all pots outside for the winter but under a plastic cover, maybe the pink one will come next year.  The pots were originally kept at 5c after sowing and as mentioned only two came up, I guess not cold enough.

johnw

I've never experienced them to be too fussy on pricking the seedlings of L. tweedyi John - I guess it won't be a bad idea to save the small one from it's giant neighbour...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
Oleg,

I am convinced that your Ziagdenus from the left hand picture is a more eastern form of Z. elegans and the one on the right is a western, low elevation Z. elegans. Does the other have similar shaped glands (the greenish marks)? Elegans (and vaginatus) have obcordate glands, which your plant clearly has. The eastern forms are usually smaller, more glaucous, and with greener flowers. The western ones vary greatly. I have seen plants growing at 10,000 ft in Wyoming that were 10 cm tall, and others to nearly 1m at lower elevations. The western are typically creamier flowered and less glaucous.

Run it through http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=135314 and see where it takes you, but I am pretty sure both are Z. elegans. These, or some of the Zigadenus are now in Anticlea, Toxioscordion, or something else!

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »
Campanula zoysii flowering in my tufa-garden.
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
That's looking good, Kris.
Do you find that the rough surface of the tufa stops the slugs and snails from attaching the campanulas?   
Or do they  just wear climbing boots and get there to eat the plants just the same?  ::) :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
That's looking good, Kris.
Do you find that the rough surface of the tufa stops the slugs and snails from attaching the campanulas?   
Or do they  just wear climbing boots and get there to eat the plants just the same?  ::) :'(

This one is planted at 1 meter hight and even there it is not safe... Sometimes I catch a slug who is on the way to this beauty .
Now it stays in that rock about 4 years.
Other ones planted at lower points near the surface of the garden are eaten too by slugs .And they don't have to wear boots Maggi .
The rough surface don't stop them at all in my experience.Just put them so high that you can catch them before they reach the meal... I am so happy that they are no Usain Bolts ...
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
Campanula zoysii flowering in my tufa-garden.

very nice, a cliff right at home :)

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »
very nice, a cliff right at home :)

Thanks Cohan ,but it is not that big and only 1.5m high ...But I am happy with it . :D 
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
The hot summer is very good for my Pelargonium endlicherianum .
During our trip to NE Turkey (june 2010) we saw this one flower on very hot screes...
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »
Kris, remember this one?... the cool night-blooming saponaria endemic to the high regions of the Troodos Mountains, Cyprus; Saponaria cypria.

This year the plant is outdoing itself, I think because we've had so much hot weather in the 90s to nearly 100 F (32-37 C) which is to its liking.  The last few nights at dusk, the plant looks particularly fetching, lots of bubblegum pink flowers and dark red calyxes hovering just above a low mat of neat succulent spoon-shaped leaves.  How wonderful to have a mat-forming Saponaria that flowers so late, typically starting in August, but starting in July this year with our advanced season.

PS: the Pelargonium colors are hot-hot-hot, hot pink and red pedicels, wowza :o
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:40:02 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »
Kris, remember this one?... the cool night-blooming saponaria endemic to the high regions of the Troodos Mountains, Cyprus; Saponaria cypria.
This year the plant is outdoing itself, I think because we've had so much hot weather in the 90s to nearly 100 F (32-37 C) which is to its liking.  The last few nights at dusk, the plant looks particularly fetching, lots of bubblegum pink flowers and dark red calyxes hovering just above a low mat of neat succulent spoon-shaped leaves.  How wonderful to have a mat-forming Saponaria that flowers so late, typically starting in August, but starting in July this year with our advanced season.
Offcourse I remember this one Mark .I could hardly forget ,and I must say your plant is a better flowering one ! In Cyprus they have not that much flowers.Very good result ,be prood .I hope to introduce it sometimes in my garden...
Here I have some results with Onosma troodi from seed ! I hope to show in the future. 
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal