We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Field trips July 2010  (Read 2959 times)

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
Field trips July 2010
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »
Today DaveP and I revisited Site 1 to see if the Gymnadenia conopsea the Fragrant Orchid, which were notable by their total absence on the last visit, were coming into flower.
The Dactylorhiza fuchsii were still in full bloom with many just making their late appearance.
Listera ovata although  not obvious at a distance were there in their thousands.
A new find on this site was Ophrys apifera, the plants were small so this suggests it's just beginning to colonise this area.
We were also looking to see if there was a representative of the natural hybrid between Dactylorhiza fuchsii and Gymnadenia conopsea, if you think you see one in the photos please shout out.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

fredg

Re: Field trips July 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »
contd
Fred

fredg

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
contd
The last one is for Anthony.
Isn't she a little young for this?
Fred

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 05:51:40 PM »
I'm posting a few pictures from a trip I took last weekend to the Durham Wildlife Trust reserve in the quarry in Co Durham. Although this was my third visit this year, this was the visit to see the orchids for which the quarry is renowned, Epipactis atrorubens. I think I arrived at the best time for these orchids, and here are just a few of the many photos taken.
The final picture shows Epipactics atrorubens with a fragrant orchid and a Dactylorhiza - more of these to follow.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Peter Maguire

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
The Epipactis were the easy ones to identify - I've spent a lot of the past week reviewing the other photos to see what I had. I was a bit late for Dactyloriza as they were just going over after the recent hot spell, but the first two are, I'm fairly confident, Dactylorhiza fuchsii.
There were also Pyramidal orchids Anacamptis pyramidalis around in the quarry floor. The inflorescences were not always the classic conical shape and there was some variation in the depth of the pink in the flowers, but the lateral ridges at the base of the labellum were always evident. Again, most of the plants were past their best, probably due to the recent weather.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 06:12:40 PM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:21:02 PM »
The different Anacamptis pyramidalis are lovely but those Epipactis atrorubens are the bees knees! Just great!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
Now it starts to get tricky. I always assumed that fragrant orchids were Gymnadenia conopsea, but what were formerly know as varieties have now been divided into three species (based on DNA studies, so they must be ;D), Gg, conopsea, denisflora and borealis. The first two photos I am happy to call Gymnadenia conopsea, but the third picture........ The flowers look like classic Gymnadenia densiflora at the base of the inflorescence, but more like the G. conopsea at the top of the flower spike, but it has a very dense inflorescence, so I'm tentatively labelling it G. densiflora.
The final picture shows something odd. The lateral lobes of the labellum suggest Anacamptis pyramidalis, as do the lateral sepals, which are held out stiffly horizontal, however there are no lateral ridges at the base of the labellum, and the inflorescence is not as compact as Anacamptis pyramidalis generally is. I'm tentatively assumimg that this is the bi-generic hybrid between Gymnadenia conopsea and Anacamptis pyramidalis, so it should therefore be labelled x Gymnanacamptis anacamptis!
Peter Maguire

Graham Catlow

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
The different Anacamptis pyramidalis are lovely but those Epipactis atrorubens are the bees knees! Just great!

Peter, a very nice set of photos and I have to agree with Maggi the Epipacts atrorubens are wonderful. I have a liking for dark purple/black flowers and leaves, so they would fit in well in my garden. ;)

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
Fred & Peter,

You are so very fortunate to be able to visit these sites and see such wonderful photographs. Many thanks for posting.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
contd
The last one is for Anthony.
Isn't she a little young for this?

Many female butterflies and moths mate immediately. Male Heliconius spp. will even mate with a female before her wings are expanded or even while she is still in the chrysalis!

BTW, while I remember. The week before last, after breakfast on the Monday, as I was sitting looking across the playing field of Harrogate ladies College, which is only a five minute walk from the centre of Harrogate, a red kite fly across! I was amazed, to say the least 8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:46:37 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
Peter them there  Epipactics atrorubens are incredible.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Peter Maguire

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
BTW, while I remember. The week before last, after breakfast on the Monday, as I was sitting looking across the playing field of Harrogate ladies College, which is only a five minute walk from the centre of Harrogate, a red kite fly across! I was amazed, to say the least!8)

Anthony,
They have reintroduced Red Kite to the area south of Harrogate. I saw three from the car as I drove around Harrogate to the south when I travelled to the Summer Show North a few weeks ago. I was quite pleased pleased with myself until John Richards told me he'd seen ten there the day before!  :o
Peter Maguire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
A couple of pictures of what I think is Epipactis dunensis at Ainsdale yesterday.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »

Anthony,
They have reintroduced Red Kite to the area south of Harrogate. I saw three from the car as I drove around Harrogate to the south when I travelled to the Summer Show North a few weeks ago. I was quite pleased pleased with myself until John Richards told me he'd seen ten there the day before!  :o
Quite so Peter. I get excited when I see a Kite in Dunblane, knowing full well if I went to Argaty, four miles away, I would see 30 or more!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »
here are some photo's of Epipactis helleborine,there is a lovely alba form and a nice pink form as well also some shots of the rubbish with the plants because of fly tipping.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal